Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I can already guess DIII's plot.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Gamekk, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

I can already guess DIII's plot.

So what exactly happened, why did Tyrael decided to destroy the Worldstone?

My theory is that by destroying the worldstone, as it's pretty obvious that there are going to have 2 factions (Burning Hells and High Heavens), Tyrael would allow the path for the High Heavens to take over the Sanctuary (human's world).

Is Tyrael evil ? : No, he's just from another faction, from the Heavens! But no one told Heaven wouldn't try and take over Sanctuary (DIII's concept).

Twenty years gap : So, what have demons done for 20 years? They're still not out over all the Sanctuary? I guess they've been fighting Heaven VS Hell style as they're in an eternal war, and both try to take over the Sanctuary. They're simply busy killing eachother.

Tyrael is lost ? : So there might be a theory involving that Tyrael is lost. Prior to this, let's assume that there are still two big bosses down in Hell, Azmodan and Belial. They might have captured him, we might have to rescue him. Then, bash the two other demons and then bash Tyrael because at the end we notice that Heaven also tried to take over Sanctuary. Crazy world...

Will we fight another Diablo? : This is not possible. Soulstones carry demons. We destroyed Meph's and Big D's soulstone (D's one was destroyed in a cinematic). But what happened to Baal's? If it hasn't been destroyed in the Hellforge, it's still possible that he might revive (however I admit that the explosion at the end of DII:LoD was pretty big and the soulstone could've just been carried away in this...). I'm not going anywhere telling this... just bringing it up.

So, in short. DIII: We're going down in hell (or hell comes to us?:p). Bash hell. Heaven take over. Bash Haven.

2. IdiotDK

IdiotDK IncGamers Member

Re: I can already guess DIII's plot.

Dude, try to read to other subjects on this.
    This is how the Soulstones work (at least people pretty much agree on it).
    If a Greater Evil died in Sanctuary, his soul would be sent back to Hell.
    However, with the soul tied to a soulstone, it would be sent back into that.
    Heaven believed that from within the soulstones the greater evils couldnt do anything. But Izual betrayed Heavens and told The greater evils about the soulstones secrets, so that they indeed could influence the world around them.
    So indeed it is possible to fight diablo once again. And what game would it be without? probably a great one, but a wrong one.

3. Tsumaru

Tsumaru IncGamers Member

Deckard Cain says "destroying the soulstone is the only way to ensure Mephisto will not return to our world".

4. lionheart

lionheart IncGamers Member

Most of your guesses go against stuff that we know to be fact, so no...

5. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

Indeed, when Cain gives you the Hellforge quest:
    So yes, it will cast him back into the Burning Hells, presumably. However, remember that the Worldstone still exists at this point, hence he'd be unable to return. With the worldstone gone...

I guess it's sometimes a bit much to ask people to prowl through all the lengthy threads that already exist, but, for those who've been hanging around more-or-less since the announcement, it's becoming boring to re-iterate what the destruction of the Worldstone might mean, and that Big D's soulstone was not necessarily destroyed.

6. Tsumaru

Tsumaru IncGamers Member

I don't buy this not-destroyed thing. I mean, yeah, sure, Marius says "I later heard"... but he says that in reference to Mephisto's as well. I think they put it into cinematic just because it would suck so badly for you to have killed Diablo, and then haul *** back to the Hellforge to smash the soulstone - when most likely you've already killed everyone along the way. It seems a pretty obvious thing to do, anyway. Can you imagine Tyrael or Cain, sitting there at the Pandemonium Fortress, completely forgetting that you should smash Diablo's soulstone?

So yeah, while TECHNICALLY we don't know 100% for sure. I think it's a very fair assumption to make. I mean whoever finished D2 and said "BUT WAIT, WHAT HAPPENED TO DIABLO'S SOULSTONE!??!" It's only now that you're talking about D3 that people decide to doubt every single little thing. It would make so little sense for them to turn around and tell us that we didn't *actually* destroy his soulstone after all.

7. Alkey

Alkey IncGamers Member

I concur with Tsumaru. I think assuming diablo's stone is not destroyed is taking an omission for gameplays sake too far and Marius's choice of words too strictly. I doubt Blizzard is concerned with irrevocably proving diablo's soulstone destruction, espcially considering it may very well be rendered moot by the destruction of the worldstone.

As for the OP, your guesses contradict much of the cannon so I believe your thread title statement to be inncorrect.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i keep reading talk about "will diablo return" or "will meph,baal, whoever return", i wonder if anyone has considered that maybe they themselves have not returned at all. just cause they are not back in our world does not mean we wont fight them though. maybe diablo is in hell sending other demons out and as we fight our way through them all it becomes clear that we must venture into hell to destroy diablo(again) to end his reign of terror.

not saying this is my idea of what will happen just something i quickly thought up to point out that, they dont have to "return" for us to have to fight them

9. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

Yes, well I was aware of this but I think it's pretty foolish. I mean, why would Deckhard Cain send us to the Hellforge (aka IN HELL), to destroy Mephisto's soulstone and just make him revive there, right beside of you?

The theory of reviving demons after the soulstones are broken wasn't really the main thing I wanted to bring in there. The thing is actually more that High Heavens might want to take over the Sanctuary as well.

Anyways, back to soulstones since we're on that topic, I will need some backup for the facts I will bring here (am I correct?). Weren't they the horadrims who created the use of soulstones to contain demons (Cain)? Then, Cain asks us to break the soulstones in Hellforge, it's not as if you would break it anywhere where the demon's soul could be unleashed. By the fact that Cain tells you to destroy especially at THIS place with THAT hammer, I'm pretty sure it was meant to get rid of the demons, forever.

10. IdiotDK

IdiotDK IncGamers Member

Well, the soulstones are not just a piece of glass that you can destroy by stamping on it. Look at it like The Ring in Lord of the Rings. it had to be destroyed in Mt. Doom.

Also, its not like when their souls was released from the soulstone, they would just appear again in the real demon form right besides them. They lost those bodies when they was first captured into the stones. Therefore my guess is that after the stones were destroyed, they became some sorts of spirits, in need of building up there strength.
    (kinda like in LOTR with Sauron)
    And this would also explain the 20 years that have passed.

But anyways, if your real point was about the hell / heaven thing. Im kinda with you there. but not for D3, i think that a MMO is on its way, probably 3-5 years away. But it'll be in the Realms of Hell, Sanctuary and Heaven. And those three factions will be playable. The story is build for something like this i think. However, its just a speculation.

11. OverUsedChewToy

OverUsedChewToy IncGamers Member

I've always seen Tyrael as somewhat of a Humanist, more than a supernaturalist, as it were. He defies heavens orders to help humanity. The question is, is he helping humanity as an ends or just as a means to some other ends? I suspect it is the first, although it's possible that he could just realize that sanctuary is an important piece in the game for heaven and want to ensure it's not taken over by hell.

So which is it, is Tyrael in it for humans or only for heaven?

I'd say the former, though I'm not certain.

12. Millionflame

Millionflame IncGamers Member

I've already spoken my piece about Baal's soulstone, but I feel the need to bring it up again. Just because we didn't SEE it being broken on the Hellforge doesn't mean that it wasn't. How the hell would Tyrael and Cain just let that slip? And if indeed Tyrael is acting to secure Heaven's dominance in Sanctuary, then you can see that he'd have a strong motivation for ensuring that Baal's soulstone is destroyed.

And I completely agree with the poster that argued against the speculation about Diablo's soulstone. It would've been anticlimactic and silly, gameplay- and story-wise, to have to trudge back through the River of Flame to the Hellforge. I think it's a safe assumption that Diablo's stone was broken in D2. But I also think he'll be back to visit us in D3. The question, then, is how?

13. Denton the Nietzschen

Denton the Nietzschen IncGamers Member

I just find the idea of Tyrael having an ulterior motive hard to swallow when he defied Heaven's orders to help humanity.

As for what else has been said, Mephisto and Diablo will probably not return to the mortal world themselves, but they could still influence events somehow. Though it might be tricky to pull off a straight fight with them, there could be some other part of Diablo canon that hasn't been revealed yet that explains it.

14. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy IncGamers Member

Of course Diablo will be in the game, Its called Diablo III

15. Thirty-Thirty

Regarding the question of Diablo being destroyed, I actually don't think it's important whether or not the soulstone is still around. From the way I understand the Worldstone, it's destruction makes the soulstones moot anyway. For consistency between the brothers, I'd like D3 to tell us that all the stones were ultimately destroyed, so it's no longer a question.

The reason I keep bringing it up is because it is available to Blizzard to be twisted around. For example, they went pretty far (IMO) to bring back Medivh in Warcraft III, despite my remembering the Warcraft I mission where you walk in and kill him. This is the kind of opportunity they can use if they wish, though I doubt they will.

16. McDeath

McDeath IncGamers Member

My mind if fuzzy as it has been a long while since playing D2 & LOD, but in the interlude after killing Diablo wasn't there a bit where two stones were smashed on the anvil in the hellforge? The stone from Baal could have been flung to the four-winds during the destruction of the Worldstone or it could have been pocketed by the hero or Tyrael. I've never read the novels and I wonder what the real significance of the Worldstone was. Did it leave the gates of Heaven & Hell generally closed acting as a ward of some sort? It would make sense if the prime evils wanted to corrupt it to open the gateway to hell (flood doors open is what I mean by this and not some smaller gateway via a ritual) and close off the gates of Heaven. It would be a real winning solution for them since they would have basic control of both Hell and Sanctuary (I keep wanting to call it Earth, bah). Tyrael's only option was to destroy the Worldstone, which in effect, destroyed the ward (kind of like the Prime Directive of Star Trek I suppose) and allowed either side to enter Sanctuary more freely. Hell, in essence it could have been a win-win situation for Baal at the end of Diablo II.

If that is the case I think the story might want have a developement around either side. Perhaps the option to play for the forces of Hell or Heaven could be an option for DIII.

17. Majinn

Majinn IncGamers Member

I don't see any reason why Diablo (maybe even Mephisto and Baal also) can't be somehow resurrected in Santuary because if I'm not mistaken, D3 is based in Sanctuary.......and I wouldn't consider this "our" world....so we should be able to fight them in this "other" world.....especially Diablo....since that's the name of the game....................;)

18. Thirty-Thirty

Remember that he says this before the Worldstone has been destroyed, so its destruction might affect the comment.

19. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

@Majinn : I had a bit of trouble to understand your previous post... Maybe you were mistaken : "our" world for Cain is obviously the Sanctuary. We went down to hell to destroy the soulstone, so they're destroyed totally, otherwise if they were just locked from Sanctuary, then why they didn't respawn just beside of us? I know you guys will say anything because you want to see them back, but they're destroyed! Too bad!

Now, anyone have anything to discuss about the fact that maybe Heaven wants to take over the Sanctuary? (trying to get back to the original point of this topic?

20. snugglson

snugglson IncGamers Member

I remember reading something about how in an old D3 build you could switch items between light and dark. So if you had a sword of the bat, you could switch back and forth between light and dark. what would the point of this be? anybody played ikaruga? you could switch your attacks between white and black, and only black attacks could kill white (or was it the other way around?) and vice versa. perhaps the point of that was that dark could kill heavenly beings, while light could kill hellish beings? if thats the case, it does support the idea that we will be killing stuff on the heavenly side of things. or maybe its a bunch of hogwash.