Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I burned O'Reilleys book

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hippie Holocost, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

I burned O'Reilleys book

The other day I was going through my routine. At 7:00pm I sit down and eat dinner, flip on the TV and watch the news and O'Reilley.

The inspiration for this thread contained hear:

O'Reilley did a piece on ExxonMobil, where he brought on an anti-Exxon guest and they each bashed Exxon, calling it a greedy cooperation because of high gas prices and the profit they are making off of it.

I'm not sure if any of you know much about how the price at the pump comes to be but just let me assure you that Exxon has little to do with it. Exxon does not control the amount of oil it pumps overseas (OPEC does), and Exxon does not even decide where their gas goes (the distributor does).

In summation, O'Reilley did a horrible piece bashing one of the most successful companies in the world (I think #3 on the fortune 500) when they were innocent of the crimes he insinuated.

Heres to you O'Reilley. Keep on educating the masses. :drink:

Edit: Oh, I didn't really burn his book, I bought the hardback, those don't go cheap. And it makes my book collection pretty :cheesy:

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It's pretty well known that companies like Exxon jack up gas prices months in advance of the actual impact of higher crude prices. If a war breaks out in Saudi tomorrow every single gas company in America will be charging stupendous prices tomorrow, even though the gas they're selling was refined from oil bought long ago at much lower prices and the oil they're buying tomorrow at war prices won't make it to the pumps until August.

That said, glad you recognized the fact that he's a useless windbag. :D

3. Hippie Holocost

Nope not Exxon that does it. Price gouging is done by either the distributor or by the individual franchises. Note- Exxon does not own gas stations. Those stations pay Exxon for the name. In fact, when you go to a gas station that says Exxon, it doesn't even mean that it is Exxons gas in the pump.

The distributor buys from Exxon, Chevron, Texaco, and so on and then they sell it.

Also, the raising of prices real comes from supply and demand. Since Exxon cannot decide what supply they want to create (OPEC decides for them) they have no choice but to go with what prices are created by demand.

Anyway, I'm beginning to see that O'Reilley has an agenda to attack sucessful people. The reason I used to like him is because he would attack people I consider worth attacking, for legitimate reasons. But it turns out the reasons don't matter to him, just the toppling of what he calls "the elite"

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I don't think his agenda is to attack successful people, necessarily. He attacked that kid who lost his dad in the 9/11 attacks, for instance.

I think he attacks people (and companies, and political parties, and countries, and brands of beverage) because that's what gets him attention; and for a media star attention is the only thing that's really important. You lose that, you're out of a job.

He's very very good at getting attention.

5. Hippie Holocost

I agree, its all for attention. Thats why he's selling the same hype every other media outlet is selling. Now about 90% of the time I agree with him on the issues, but I simply can't stand it when he says "I'm one of the common folk" or something along those lines. He's a media icon that is going on the image of being a savior for the blue collar worker, when all he is doing is being an attention *****. (if that got bleeped, hes an attention slut).

Arg...

6. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I don't that much about how the oil business works, but aren't there other companies competing with Exxon? It seems that it would be impossible to gouge prices if there are competitors standing by that will simply undercut you. Only if Exxon had a monopoly could it charge whatever price it wanted.

I don't really like O'Reilly because all he does is criticize and ***** about EVERYTHING. I tend to take people more seriously when they actually pick their fights instead of taking a carpet bombing approach. And I read an interview of him in Playboy where he came across as quite hypocrital. He was going on about how we are wasteful with our SUVs and cars, yet I highly doubt he is driving a Honda Insight everyday.

7. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Send him an email

8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'm not wild about O'Reilly, but I wasn't very impressed with the financial analyst either - Neil Cavuto, the guy noted for having a big head?

He had on Matt Szulik from Red Hat, and basically just needled him about how it is somehow unfair that Microsoft is getting shafted by the EU. WTF? Red Hat is a 600-employee company that is an up & comer in the server market - why is he having to defend his corporate 'mentality' against the actions of a convicted predatory monopolist?

I like watching Fox for a different viewpoint. That hardly means I like Fox. Every time I hear about poor little Microsoft/MCI/Enron getting beat up by the meanies, I want to puke. Why does a "fair & balanced" station need to defend monopolists and corporate criminals? Heck, why do ALL of the outlets ignore these issues?

Rhetorical questions furnished free of charge. :winner:

9. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I find most of O'Reilleys show pure comic genius. I just watch and laugh. Probably the most funny thing I saw on there was a man speaking for racial equality and his name (because it will be filtered) was a derogatory term for a black person begining with the letter 'N'. Last name Innis, I have no idea how to pronounce his first name because Bill just kept repeating Mr. Innis when speaking to him.

*Edit-Excuse me I was wrong, my friend corrected me, it is Niger Innis pronounced like the country, but you can imagine how I found that to be a rather ironic name.

10. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

I was flipping through the channels and I saw Bill talking about that girl who faked her abduction. He said "she wandered around for days, possibly while intoxicated" I just kept on going, wasn't even gonna bother.

11. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

O'Reilly is a dumb*** cuz he thinks everyone that disagree with him is the "bad guy".

He whine about how the other side is always trying to smear others. Umm...so wtf does he do for a living?

A guy in a $2000 suit whining about rich liberals... the irony...

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

The word cartel comes to mind. Say the companies all get together and decide that they'll all gouge prices. What do you think OPEC is anyway?

13. DemBonez

DemBonez IncGamers Member

Bill O'Rielly and all his friends/counterparts are a joke.

14. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Not hannity... he's pretty cool.

15. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

haha, I just can't see O'Reilley doing a playboy interview, and who reads articles in playboy anyways?

16. Hippie Holocost

OPEC is a cartel of countries not companies though. And like I said comapnies like Exxon, Texaco, and so on aren't the ones jacking up the prices. If you want to lay blame, lay it on the distributors, that is where the price of gas is set. Keep in mind that supply and demand is the driving force behind all of this.

My point was that O'Reilley was villafying (sp) a company that had done no wrong in this case.

17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Can he vilify them for spilling 257,000 barrels of oil into the Gulf of Alaska? Not that he would, but could he?

18. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Cause they had a problem with baby seals?

19. Hippie Holocost

Well if its ok to villafy somebody for an accident sure, but don't think I'm going to sit here and defend Exxon and the Valdez... :lol:

20. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Why is everyone complaining so much about gas prices? Even with the recent increase, I believe we're paying less for gas than we did in 1981 once you adjust for inflation, and we're still paying a lot less per gallon than most other industrialized nations.

Besides, there are certain advantages to higher petroleum prices. There's billions of gallons of petroleum now being extracted in Canada because higher oil prices in recent years have finally made it financially feasible to extract oil from that region. Hopefully some Canadian has a link to info on that.

Not only does higher prices allow the oil industry to use different extraction techniques, but it makes it more economically viable for large corporations to upgrade equipment, fleets and factories to become more fuel efficient, and if prices get high enough, more and more sources of alternative energy will become viable.

There's plenty of up sides to higher gas prices, everyone's just jittery because of bad memories of the 1970s. The rest of the world has survived just fine with much higher gas prices, I'm sure we'll live through this little price spike. There's more important things to worry about in the world than gas prices. If it bothers you that much, trade in your SUV for a minivan or something.