Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I am the ONLY spearazon on HCLwest?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by nebby, Feb 4, 2004.

1. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

I am the ONLY spearazon on HCLwest?

OK, I've talked about this in the hardcore forum (I only play HC) a little, but last night was the kicker. NM baal run, full game, HCL west. While people join game, I go down to Halls of Pain for amusement. Find some nice low level uniques, put those away. Sorc says "1" (for the HC challenged, that's a safe TP). We all go down, and I start LS-ing away, mowing down large packs of monsters (LS lvl30, max 2 synergies- ~2K per hit, 31 hits). Someone says "Kool, a chain-light sorc". There are no chain light sorcs in game, just the usual meteorb sorc. I say, "no, thats just me". Then the questions come: "how can you do that without javelins? I thought you had to throw"
    me: "LS"
    other ZON in game: "you do have to throw. She's just got a pike on switch for the black souls"
    me: "no switch- lightning strike"
    other zon: "so you're a fendazon?"
    me: "no, fend sucks. just use jab for light immunes. I use mostly LS & CS"
    other zon: "and it does all that lighting?"

Sigh. I keep hoping to run into my spear-sisters on the Bnet, just to swap war-stories, but all are gone...

Javs & shields are for pussies! ;)

let the flaming commence.

2. Malignant

Malignant IncGamers Member

Hehe, I do like spearzons, but HC? You must have a huge set man. My last succesful non shield wielding HC char was a werewolf druid using hellslayer. Got wiped out by two groups of unique monsters, one fanatacism cursed, other conviction extra strong, etc. Not a good day to do a meph run.

3. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

Not sure what you mean by huge set. Just doing ladder HC, so gear is less than spectacular...oh, wait a minute. Ahh. Well, anyway, you just gotta be more careful in HC, but even then death is inevitable in hell these days. Sooner or later you get an FE extra strong archer pack combined with a holy freeze extra fast meleer group, and its alt-F4 or goodbye gear.

But the zon has one thing going for her the druid doesn't- some serious D/A/E. With enemies like that, getting hit amounts to stun lock and a quick and painful death, even with some heavy HP.

4. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I have a lightning spearazon too =) but she'll never survived hardcore. Keeps getting stun-locked whenever a fanatism archer pack is around and there goes my zon. Its worse in the pit when the archers are lightning immune as well.

5. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's a pain. Try two things, both of them very under-used in the amazon arsenal:
    (1) cast your decoy behind them. They almost always go for the decoy over you, thankfully. In addition, you can recast you valk right on them. It may require you to drink a blue pot or two, since you can't leech too well when you're not hitting things.

(2) Slow missiles. Let me repeat. S-L-O-W missiles. Nowadays, it might be one of the best 1 point skills in the game, IMHO. Gives you a little chance to run up to them and get a jab round in, also getting your merc involved.

Of course, having said that, usually I flux when I see a pack of fanat archers-light immune archers in hell. Lost my level 83 MF/max-block sorc to a pack of those. Lost some really nice MF gear to those [email protected]$tards.

Nice to here there are other spearazons out there. No, its not the uber-kill all breed, but where's the fun in that anyway?

6. Malignant

I've noticed the decoy thing as well. The monsters really seem gung-ho about attacking it. With no casting delay, has saved me more times than valk has.

7. sunbearie

8. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

I don't think that decoy/slow missiles are under-used skills. Each guide I've read about zon builds mentions them as (at least) 1-point wonders.

Lightning skills for the zons in this patch are really nice, but after some playing, I feel they are somewhat overpowered (read 'bored').

My current build will max fend, with only 1 point in the defense skills (dae) to circumvent the supposed fend bug. To prevent stunlock, I will need lots of %fhr and high defense. This build will be more fun to play, I try to do this hc solo, untwinked, players 8 (current lvl 28 and still in Flayer jungle).

9. martijn

martijn IncGamers Member

Can you please post your build and gear? Sounds like a nice way to play instead of the old and tried throw your titans off the train... Uhm, i mean in the pack.

10. sunbearie

Cool, thats my build too. Just want to ask if which other skill you're going to max. Penetrate, IS, CS, decoy or even impale. I take it lvl17/maxed valk is obvious.

11. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Sounds like suicide to me, but good luck.
    Dodge-lock could really screw you over I think.

12. Malignant

Maxing fend sounds like bad juju to me, especially on HC. Would suck to level your zon and die due to an animation lock. If you're into suicide, try that sorc build that someone is writing a story about, no skills, no stat allocations, no weapons, etc. Suprisingly, she's making it rather far.

13. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

Heh, i already solo-ed a spearazon in hcl with maxed fend. But with this new build I want to 'circumvent' the bug without any additional points in dodge/avoid/evade. Will see how far she can go.