I am offended

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I am offended

Liam came home from school today with news of an upcoming school trip to Washington DC. The cost is $150.00. Under normal circumstance, that is not a whole lot of money..but it is for me right now.

If the child cannot go on the trip, here is what they get to do:

A trip to the new Wal-Mart they just built

A trip to the new Applebees they just built

A trip to the police department

A trip to juvenile hall

I really can't believe that they would even think of taking the kids who have parents who are poor to juvie hall for a field trip. Some of us are actually working towards something better.

I am just so angry that the school would encorporate a trip such as this for the kids.

Wow, all those other options are pretty sucky; stupid even. I would just keep him home instead of sending him on one of those other 'field trips'.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
That's terrible....I see it happening more and more. It's not like parents have a drawer tht keeps filling itself with money or so....these schooltrips and extra things parents are supposed to pay are getting way out of hand.
And if you don't, they make you feel like you are the one who deserves to be treated with poor trips like that. Terrible.

cynicalcat1

Diabloii.Net Member
couple years back, when my daughter was in school, same thing happened to me.we went on a fishing field trip.:grin:

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Reminds me of a Lewis Black segment (About what would improve the Arkansas school system):

"Then you could take the kids to Denny's and have them memorize what's on the Grand **** Slam."

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
What bothers me is the trip to juvie. Granted, there are kids whose parents are not productive, for lack of better words. It is highly offensive to those who may have lost their job or are trying to better themselves and don't have an endless flow of cash.

Perhaps I am just a tad sensitive to this. I am piss poor right now but am not a criminal nor do I teach my children to be a criminal. That is how I took it. I took it to mean you are poor, you will deal drugs, you will violate the law because your parents don't have money.

I may have to call the school board on that one..as well as the state board.

caddad

Diabloii.Net Member
I've got $15 inside an envelope that has "Liam's DC Trip Fund" written on it.

I have no idea where I got it, but I don't know anyone named Liam so PM me where to send it.

*EDIT* ^^ That there sounds like charity and i'm fairly certain you aren't into that and not what I am offering.

When I was in high school our government class had an opportunity to go to DC for two weeks. It was a 2-year fundraiser thing and I only attended the senior year and wasn't a local so I didn't feel like it was right to do fundraisers for just one year, and suck money out of the local economy just to be able to go also.

My wife (well future then) went and had a blast, and can still tell stories vividly about how amazingly historical the place is. I have always stood by my decision not to go for the reasons stated above but I've also always wanted to go and might never get the chance. If $15 bucks from my coffers to yours gets him there easier I gladly donate it. It's a small amount to me and I offer it graciously, anonymously, and in the same way I'd give to any other kid with funds to raise. So please accept for his sake of going.

-D2netDad

I don't really understand the correlation between not having money and juvie. I don't think it was placed on the list to offend anyone, they were just looking for some cheaper alternatives.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
So no one should have a field trip because some can't afford it?
Alternatives have been provided, and 150 bucks is like 10x cheaper than it would be take a field there where I live. Why is juvie worse than the police station? Wal-mart points to "you're poor" too. Applebee's doesn't, and it's an option. I mean, they went to the trouble of providing 4 alternatives, that seems like a lot.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think the school is trying to send a message to kids or parents or anything. Maybe they have a contact there or something to set up the visit?

edit: Do the kids go all those places? Sounds to me like the school is just dragging them around town becuase the other kids get a field trip.

rplusplus

Diabloii.Net Member
Man that sounds like a bad episode of The New Adventures of Old Christine...

Then again are there any good episodes of that new show?

But yea. Screw em. I say a fishing trip sounds better.

Yarr++

I am offended at the field trips that are planned for the kids and the costs that go with the field trips. When my 6th grader makes it to 8th grade they have a class trip to Chicago. This trip runs around the $500 mark. I find it very bold of the schools to arrange field trips such as this with out taking into consideration that not all families can afford to send their kids, in turn making the kids feel left out. There are not fund raisers arranged for any of it, the parents are just expected to pay.

Gertlex

Banned
I am offended at the field trips that are planned for the kids and the costs that go with the field trips. When my 6th grader makes it to 8th grade they have a class trip to Chicago. This trip runs around the $500 mark. I find it very bold of the schools to arrange field trips such as this with out taking into consideration that not all families can afford to send their kids, in turn making the kids feel left out. There are not fund raisers arranged for any of it, the parents are just expected to pay.
My middle school had fundraisers (firefox says that's not a word) for that type of trip...

I'm gonna guess that your school's Chicago trip used to be an annual DC trip. Then 9/11 happened and paranoia abounded about kids being blown up in DC.:flip:(ok, more realistically, it had to do with possibility of trip needing to be canceled and lots of money not being refunded)

So instead my year went to Toronto (it was good; first time I went to a amusement park, and longest stay away from home at that time). Every subsequent year has been to Chicago instead...

Edit: Oh, and zoos and crap; thank god that stayed in elementary school. By middle school, those things bored me to death. I honestly preferred a day in class to a day in unpredictable weather walking around looking at half dead animals. (the poor things :/)

rplusplus

Diabloii.Net Member
I remember when I was in 6th grade doing a full year of fundraising so that all of us could go to Yosemite for a week. The fundraising was the best part in that it was an education in marketing, sales, accounting, etc. And it all went into a pool to offset the cost of the trip. IIRC the trip was $325 per student and some kids raised over a thousand with fundraising and some less than a hundred but in the end every student had to pay $45.00.

I think the real slap in this case though is that the choice of alternatives is basically...

If your poor you not only don't get to go to a fun trip but are punished.

Screw em.

This is why we homeschooled till 7th grade.

Yarr++

cyclotronic

Diabloii.Net Member
You have no right to be offended zodiac. The school sees a way to possibly teach outside of the classroom (the most memorable method) and ask the parents to put in 150. Not everything is a personal attack upon you, they don't care that you're light on money. They are not sending any underlying judgments of character onto you. They merely want to educate the kids, which I hope you can agree is best for everyone, tough break if you can't come up with the 150, most of the parents can I assume, or no trip would be planned.

Try not to take everything so personally. You'll get through life a lot easier.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
A hundred and fifty? Jesus, when I was a kid our field trips were like, across the road... we walked, net cost $0...

Well, one time we went to an icecream factory, which sounds terribly exciting but of course actually isn't. Wow, big steel buildings!

If the child cannot go on the trip, here is what they get to do:

A trip to the new Wal-Mart they just built

A trip to the new Applebees they just built

A trip to the police department

A trip to juvenile hall

I really can't believe that they would even think of taking the kids who have parents who are poor to juvie hall for a field trip. Some of us are actually working towards something better.

I am just so angry that the school would encorporate a trip such as this for the kids.
HAHAHAHA!!! It's like they're saying "Oh, poor are you? Well, here's where you'll be working the rest of your lives... here's the cop station, you'll be seeing a lot of that... and here's where you'll be staying for the rest of your time...

Next up: crack houses and the dole queue!

I don't really understand the correlation between not having money and juvie.
Are you serious? Although you're probably right about them not intending to insult anyone. It's just that those are the only places nearby they could get into for nothing.

I've got $15 inside an envelope that has "Liam's DC Trip Fund" written on it.

I have no idea where I got it, but I don't know anyone named Liam so PM me where to send it.

*EDIT* ^^ That there sounds like charity and i'm fairly certain you aren't into that and not what I am offering.

When I was in high school our government class had an opportunity to go to DC for two weeks. It was a 2-year fundraiser thing and I only attended the senior year and wasn't a local so I didn't feel like it was right to do fundraisers for just one year, and suck money out of the local economy just to be able to go also.

My wife (well future then) went and had a blast, and can still tell stories vividly about how amazingly historical the place is. I have always stood by my decision not to go for the reasons stated above but I've also always wanted to go and might never get the chance. If $15 bucks from my coffers to yours gets him there easier I gladly donate it. It's a small amount to me and I offer it graciously, anonymously, and in the same way I'd give to any other kid with funds to raise. So please accept for his sake of going.

-D2netDad
You're a gem.

Man that sounds like a bad episode of The New Adventures of Old Christine...
Worst title ever.

Edit: Oh, and zoos and crap; thank god that stayed in elementary school. By middle school, those things bored me to death. I honestly preferred a day in class to a day in unpredictable weather walking around looking at half dead animals. (the poor things :/)
We've got great zoos here, I went a few years ago with my wife and it was great. Except that she got a migraine out in the sun, that was bad.