Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I am making a Nova Sorc.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Etemenanki, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Etemenanki

Etemenanki IncGamers Member

I am making a Nova Sorc.

First of all, I know it supposedly sucks, and I am aware of the reasons why, but I don't care. Now that that's out of the way...

I want to make a Nova Sorc. I need some advice and input from the esteemed professionals and veterans on this forum before I go any further with my build. Here is my planned skill spread:

(~ = approximate)

Nova 20
    Thunderstorm 20
    Lightning Mastery 20
    Energy Shield ~1
    Warmth ~20
    Frozen Armor ~20

Now, stay with me for a minute while I explain my rationale behind this design.

Nova - This is obvious. This is the skill I am basing the build on.

Tstorm - Lots of people have come down on Nova because it lacks a synergy. Well, I consider this to be a Nova synergy in a way. Why? Well, for one, it's fire and forget. So while you are using Nova, Thunderstorm will be striking nearby enemies at the same time. In that way, it acts like a synergy. And the reason it is a Nova synergy is because if you use any other lightning skill instead of Nova as your main skill, and max Thunderstorm also, it's a WASTE because those are points you could have put into a synergy for Chain Lightning or whatever it is you're using. With Nova, it's not a waste, because Nova has no synergies in the first place.

Lightning Mastery - Obvious.

Energy Shield - Gotta have it.

Warmth - I need mana a'plenty.

Frozen Armor - This is primarily for the freezing of melee attackers. This will give me time to recover from melee attacks and teleport away or fire back with more Nova.

----

Now that you have seen it, you can begin to prepare your critiques. I do have one major question though, and that is should I go with a Defiance merc or a Holy Freeze merc?

2. jason166

jason166 IncGamers Member

You will need alot of help

Get as many + skill charms as you can.
    Perhaps consider a cresent moon rune word cyrstal sword. for
    -lightning resists

To kill in hell you will need to reduce their resists somehow since the dmg won't be that good no matter what.

Jason

3. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

Good luck man. :spy: Although I still think the finished thing will be a little weak... what with Nova being nurfed.

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Cresent Moon -35% res
    and add a Griffon Eye Tiara that adds -20% lightning res and +15% dam to lightning
    With -50% this setup could most definitly work!

That Crescent Moon will even be better than any Orb with +skill you can get.
    Likewise the Tiara with extra damage and -res would be better than Shako

Both Crescent Moon and Griffon Eye are not cheap!

I would also not put 20 into warmth the way you will be bleeding mana away your regenerationrate might help, but that will only work with LOTS of base mana. since you mentio you will use Energy Shield, well than lots of Mana is required, BUT Energy Shield is USELESS in 1.10 with investing into its synergy Telekinesis. Otherwise you will suddenly stand there with no mana to cast anything inbetween a mobpack and then you will be dead.

I'd rather skip Energy shield totally and focus on max-block or vitality. high life will be needed with this build for sure.

5. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

What dam are we looking @ for nova now?

6. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

2k-ish at levels in the 35-40 slvl Nova/LM range.

7. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

Hmmm.. not too bad. Good cast rate too. Just hope standing too close to the action gets someones eye put out. :thumbsup:

8. Alkanine

Alkanine IncGamers Member

Heres a simple suggestion but only use it if you want.

Put 1 point into frost nova so when enemies come up to you cast that once so they are all frozen then cast lighting nova right after to stun the frozen targets so they cant move at all with enough FCR the frozen monsters might become helpless.

9. Etemenanki

Okay. At 1 point, I get 8 seconds of chill length. In Hell, that's 2 seconds. So I would have to beef it up for it to be useful. And would it be of any use if I had a Holy Freeze aura on my mercenary?

10. Alkanine

well hopefully youll have some sort of plus skills (at all) if you want nova to be any good as well :evil:

In that sense you will probally have atleast a lvl 10 or lvl 8 with just 1 skill point frost nova. This will give you quite a bit longer freeze. About the holy freeze merc. If you have frost nova you could always choose to get a defiance one instead since youll have the freeze part down as long as you have the + skills to increase it

11. Etemenanki

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I do have a Defiance merc currently, but I'm still in mid-Normal.

12. Alkanine

hows it working out so far?

13. Etemenanki

Pretty good. I'm avoiding making any heavy investments until I get the build finalized. I think I have 1 point in Nova, Warmth, and I still haven't put anything in the Cold Skill tree.

For the record, a level 9 Frost Nova (1 point, +8 skills) is 16 seconds, or 4 seconds in Hell. (Just for observation's sake.)

14. Alkanine

with a high enough FCR even 4 is fine

with just a 8-9 FCR FPA you could easily switch between the 2 novas to refreeze without noticing the entire diffrence of ever switching and keep blasting with lighting nova while they are frozen and probally stun them.

15. Etemenanki

I have now put 1 point into the first Cold Armor (freezing). At level 1 it gives a 30% bonus to defense rating and freezes melee for like over a second, which in Hell will be much less than a second. I don't think I want to invest any more than 1 point into this. What say you? I think in Hell the freezing will not be impressive or anything, but it will be just enough to get me through the sticky situations I'm bound to face.

So, did I waste a point?

16. warding

warding Banned

An OT thought: Is frost nova sorc a viable build as well as a nova sorc? :)

With maxed synergies and +20 cold skills she could get 837-937 Cold Damage, 47 Seconds cold length, -215% Enemy cold resist, use some facets to boost damage to 1K+

In addition you'd have FO backup :)

17. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Also try to get hold of Lightning facets and the other gear i mentioned above.
    With Griffon's Eye, Crescent Moon in a phase blade, and 2 perfect Lightning Facets in Armor and Shield you get -60% res on monster for Lightning!

This basically means you will ALOT more damage, especially against monster without Lightning res!

18. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

A friend of mine uses nova on her mf sorc and it works fine with a ton of fast cast. Since she mfs only in solo games monster life is lower. I made fun of her when she told me her mf build (an old 1.08 char) but after seeing her in action I had to take it back. You won't be the most killer sorc on the block, but it can do fine, and I think nova is a fun skill to use. And Kristin doesn't even use - resistance or + lightning dammage gear. If well twinked I bet you will get a lot of "OMG" type comments in pubbie games.

19. Etemenanki

Here is the latest revision of the spread:

Warmth 20

Nova 20
    Thunderstorm 20
    Light Mastery 20

Telekinesis ~16
    Energy Shield 1

Frost Nova 1
    Frozen Armor ~1

+ Defiance Merc