Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I am hearing other people through the baby monitor...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jread, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jread

jread IncGamers Member

So I'm sitting here at 3:45 a.m. because I can't sleep, and my wife and the baby are asleep in the other room. I always bring the baby monitor with me (it's the kind with video and sound) when I leave the room so I can watch her and make sure she doesn't wake up or anything.

Every now and then I will hear some odd sounds or voices and I'll think it's maybe the A/C running, or my wife talking in her sleep. Well, tonight I distinctly heard a man's voice talking, saying something like "Look at her sleeping". I look at the screen and see the baby asleep and nobody near her (it uses night vision so it looks creepy anyway), and I think to myself, "Who or what the **** is in the bedroom?!?!" I go running in there and fling the door open (surprised I didn't wake them up) and start looking around... nothing. They are both sound asleep and there is nobody in the room.

I started looking online and apparently baby monitors commonly pickup all kinds of signals in the neighborhood: other monitors, cell phone conversations, etc. Apparently the "Summer" brand is notorious for this, and that's what brand we have. One guy is even suing them for it: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/baby-monitor/

So, now I wonder if other people can see/hear what is on our monitor. It's not like we're ever naked in front of it or anything, but still I don't like the idea. And let me tell you, it will really freak you out to hear a voice that sounds like it's in your house when it's quiet, dark and dead in the middle of night :shocked:

2. SonataArctica

SonataArctica IncGamers Member

If you are genuinely worried about 'spirits', this might not be the ideal place to complain.

(Personally, If they haven't harmed the child then they won't. They had a chance so far, and they didn't act upon it. Relax, spirits aren't here to cause you harm, they may just be annoying at worst)

3. jread

jread IncGamers Member

No, I actually don't believe in spirits, but hearing a voice supposedly coming from a room where that voice should not come from definitely sent chills down my spine.

On the "spirits" thing, I supposedly would not enter a "haunted" room when I was a child (even before I was old enough to talk). My dad and grandmother had what they called a "sixth sense" for these sort of things, and told me that I have it too, but I wrote it off as silliness years ago.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That depends on the kind of communication established between the monitor and the camera.

In general: If the package or the manual doesn't brag about a certain feature, it's probably not implemented. Also, if it was rather cheap, it's probably the same. That doesn't mean that every expensive product offers it, however.

5. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

Unless you have a 20 room villa, why do you need a baby monitor ? If it starts crying, you will hear it even without the monitor, and with the wife sleeping in the same room, what can go wrong ?

That aside, it would freak me out too ^^

6. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

I think the comments on the site you linked do give you all the info, but if you're really worried maybe try a different brand?

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I was gonna ask if the voice said "Get out" but what you really heard is A LOT creepier than that

8. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones IncGamers Member

It wouldn't be creepy if it sounded like Arnold Schwarzenegger :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1SAu1PxTA

9. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

It's a well known issue. Comedies on TV have based episodes on it.

10. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

yeah. for me, it is when i don't get enough sleep or im stressed and tired about something. my paranoia shoots up and i hear voices and footsteps that aren't there. if it's bad enough, i will start to hallucinate. then it's really time for Leo to go to bed. lulz. :p

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You hear dead people...

These devices generally have very "loud" broadcast footprints; if you turn yours on and a nearby radio "breaks squelch" then it's probably bleeding widely into the spectrum.

So no, don't get nekkid around it, or turn it off when not in use.

12. DoW Fanatic

DoW Fanatic IncGamers Member

I saw a show where a guy made a receiver out of a pringles can and some wire, which he then hooked up to a screen in his car. He was showing how simple it was for thieves to do this to case your home. Yeah, I wouldn't walk around naked in front of that thing. Unless ,of course, you like being watched. :whistling: