Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I am going to start a Classic character...

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Dacar92, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I am going to start a Classic character...

But I am not sure which one to play. I like barbs and of course, amazons. Can you hguys help me decide which character to play first? I never played Classic, as I bought D2 just when the LOD came out. I want to play HC.

Please tell me what you guys like about either of these classes and why. Which one will be easier in hell and which one will be more of a challenge. Tell me starting gear choices and stat placement I should think about.

Thanks for the help. I will keep you informed as to my progress. I will probably do this SP, but may do it on East. I am not sure yet. You guys really have me intrigued, with the use of rares and very few set items or uniques.

By the way, isn't D2 5 years old this year? Anyone know the release date?

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

wow Dacar.. starting classic eh?

Well anyway, like expansion, the too best nontwinked chars are most likely meterorb sorc and summon necro. You could also go for fire sorc for andy runs if you want.

If you're just playing for fun, you can try to do some of the more advance chars that are more item dependent such as a hammerdin or bone necro. You also might want to consider a javazon. These are all excellent builds that can survive pvm hell if you build them correctly.

Good luck!

edit: about the release date, according to IGN, Diablo2's release date was June 30, 2000

3. Classics

Classics IncGamers Member

If you come onto West, I could easily could you a boost :). But, if you play Single Player any character goes. Make whatever you want and you'll have loads of fun with it. HOWEVER, on the realms, you're going to want yourself to get started with a character that can MF with ease, and find the most basic items required. I would highly suggest a pure cold sorc on the realms. Then, Mephisto and Andariel runs would be simplistic, and extremely rewarding to newer characters. Check out the guides.

Another highly sucsessful starter character would be a Popper Barbarian. Bassically, this is a barb that uses 'Find Item' (I think they're called Hoarkers on LoD) in conjuction with WW to find some very sexy items. The down side of this you're much less likely to find the items you need to commence an item base, but you'll have a much better chance to finding sexy rares worth maybe an SoJ or so (trust me, you'll want those starter items). MFing would them would be doing Pit runs, Boneash Runs, Bishibosh, Rakanshnu in hell mode.

Of course, Hammerdins are good starter characters too, but that's bOrRrRinNg.

Stats for characters are pretty much always the same:
    Strength: Unless Strength Barb, least possible.
    Dexterity: Unless Physical Bowazon, least possible. Dex doesn't do anything for block, which is convenient.
    Vita: As much as possible.
    Energy: Minimum possible, unless Energy Shield Sorceress.

Gear: Well, I don't really want to go over all different characters basic gear choices. But, with the barb I'd probably use a Bonesnap for the weapon. As for the cold sorceress, get a Spectral Shard and a high Ward. Not a bad idea to use a Twitch for max block either (for the sorc), and a Goldskin never hurts (for either character). Get boots with 30% f/rw and high resists. Gloves would be resists, Magefist, or Bloodfist.

Starter chars I wouldn't reccomend: Amazon, Necromancer, Paladin other then Hammers.

If you have any specific questions on a character, the build, or its effectiveness, just ask.

PS: I don't think I've ever seen a moderater ask a question :) .

4. Dacar92

Why, because you think we know everything? :lol: Far from it, believe me. Especially concerning Classic. But it has me intrigued, as I said and I want to try it.

I could do it on West. I live in Chicago and have played on both US realms before. But I have nothing on West anymore. But this would be like starting over no matter the realm. It would be cool to get a bunch of us to meet on a given evening every week and start with new characters.

5. Classics

Classics IncGamers Member

Quick Q: You said HC, but would it be HC or SC? Because I'd almost have to join the ranks of you in HC. My mule recently expired.

6. DougDadyUsWest

DougDadyUsWest IncGamers Member

CLassic Chars

Barbs are a good solo char to play in classic, But barbs no longer leech off undead so whirlwinding in the chaos sanctuary is the *major* drawback to playing a barbarian in classic (whirlwind in CS is best to be avoided ), as the chaos sanctuary is where you would do most all of your lvling up after lvl 80 or so...Although the river of flame can be viable even into lvl 90 -91 just clearing out the unique packs...getting kind of off topic... an Amazon in classic is dependent on her party to get through some areas in hell but she can do OK through nightmare. A barbarian would be more item dependent but it's not too hard to find a decent weapon with imbues... an amazon is less item dependent. The most powerful character in classic is the paladin BY FAR in terms of PVM purposes... check all the ladders worldwide and you will find roughly 50% of the highest ranked players are paladins...I recently came out of hiatus (school work too much) and completely started over this ladder season, I was able to solo my way through normal, nightmare, and hell mode with a paladin and acheive the King title relatively quick and easy. I found all the gear I needed as i leveled up.. I've been playing classic only for three years now so feel free to ask me questions... Accounts Dougdady5 and dougdady6 on UsWest Classic Hardcore Ladder. :clap:

7. Dacar92

I am not sure what you are asking, but I was thinking of playing HC in Classic. Just for the added challenge.

8. Dacar92

I started a blizz sorc tonight. I didn't play for long. I only got thru Blood Raven, lol! I played with a necro named simeonbro. Anyone know him? He said he doesn't come to these forums. He was nice.

I will look to play more tomorrow and level her more.

9. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

if you are doing hardcore and just starting, I would highly recommend using a Hammeradin. No IM, lotta life, tons of dmg and u get a shield. starting them is actually really easy and not very item dependant.

get a faster cast wand/scepter and hammer away.

10. Zodijackyl

Zodijackyl IncGamers Member

Make a barb on East NL, I'll give you some fun stuff like SIGONS to level :)
    Classic Mace barbs are easy, because bonesnap is easy to get and works until you have had more than enough time to get something better.
    If you play on East SC NL/L or HC L I'll be there :)
    Barbs are fun because once you're 30 you can level yourself past 80 with no problems. Make a barb to level 80, and you'll have lots of fun. No overpowered items, so anyone can play PvM in hell, just do a few points in natural res and maybe a +1 ammy (unless you use angelic rings/ammy for AR, add the armor for 100MF)
    I've rambled enough for today, I can't remember what I'm talking about.