Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I almost feel like this was cheating

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dokhogg, Mar 7, 2004.

1. dokhogg

dokhogg IncGamers Member

I almost feel like this was cheating

I just finished NM Baal, with my first character I've ever played. :drink: Before I found this forum I got killed all the time...terrible skill allocation, not the best equipment, etc. I was in the upper 40's for my level when I found this forum. I heard about MFing, (had never thought about it before) and really got into it for a month or so. I found some good stuff, and had a lot of people give or trade stuff to me. I got the MFing bug, and just kept doing it. I finally decided to get back to completing NM at the Crystalline Passage where I left off. Well, needless to say, it went MUCH faster witha lot less dying, etc. Now that I am done with NM, I almost feel like I cheated, since I leveled up to about 68 before I got back to finishing Act V. My question is, does anyone think it is kinda cheating to level up that much before going on? It wasn't intentional, I just was having a lot of fun MFing, and enjoying not dying so much!

On a side note, I been muling just about anything that sells for the max if it is not for a barb, and anything with decent +skills to giveaway to people since I got so much help here. Think I should post class specific things with stats, or wouldn't there be enough demand for most of it so I should just sell and gamble with the proceeds?

dok

2. kramph

kramph IncGamers Member

When I enter Hell, I try and be at least 70th level or more. I usually spend the time and experience MFing in Nightmare until I am ready for Hell. :uhhuh:

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t think it´s cheating, even if I don´t do it myself. It´s just a different way to play.

I always play each area once. Mainly because I only want to make decisions about build/tactics and not about where to play. I still reach level 67 (on /players 1 the whole way!) before starting Hell. I´m obsessed with doing full clears...

4. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

Dok,

Good on you for reading a guide and recovering your very first charater. My first was a Necromancer that turned out to be a lost cause due to misallocated points and loads of inexperience. Leveling your barb (or any charater) while making MF runs is the way to go before deciding to continue on. Hell is like hitting a brick wall. So be patient. It's been my experience that Norm and NM is real easy...I never die. That changes once I get to Hell.

1-40~ Normal

41-72~ Nightmare

73 and on Hell

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

i do nm baal runs until i get to lvl 75, then seriously go into hell. nm baa will give alot fo nice stuff to get you started on hell, and if you can do p4+ it takes 1 or 2 runs to move up a lvl if you kill everything. so its much faster than struggling in hell not earnign much exp and dying to quill rats (my first hell experience ended with a quill rat death... lucky it wasnt HC...)

6. chiam_ace

chiam_ace IncGamers Member

My first hell death was to a unique zombie with some minions right outside of town - how sad. That made me fear Corpsefire and his minions lol since I was a melee character (paladin if i remembered it correctly)

7. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Like the others say, 68 is actually quite low to be thinking about entering Hell. Forget how difficult Nightmare Act 5 is--even at /players 5 it's a walk in the park compared to Hell Act 1!

8. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

My Hammerdin is presently level 90 and hasn't ventured farther than Radamant in Act II Hell :D

9. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

may i guess pit runner? :uhhuh:

i have a lvl 89 bonecaster that haven´t killed hell baal yet.....

10. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

My former pit runner was a lvl. 92 frost/fury maiden, before she got mad about no unique/set drops. She nows does some serious Baal runs.

On the issue at hand, I have never gone into Hell unless I am lvl.70-73 in softcore. It just saves a lot of useless deaths. Also, it is very hard to get into the Hell below lvl. 70, if one plays on players 8 setting.

11. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

I have to agree with the warnings offered by others - wait for a higher level to go to Hell. I usually go about level 75 or so.

I have a rather unusual practice regarding Hell Baal: I wait until I complete a full character-specific set (i.e. Natalya's Odium) before I even attempt the last quest. It makes MFing part of the game for me.

12. Stargaze

Stargaze IncGamers Member

Why should playing the game be cheating? If it doesn't bore you to play the same area over and over again, you can get to Level 99 and never leave the Normal Blood Moore.
    In fact, this would be quite a challenge ...

13. Araknis

Araknis IncGamers Member

I very much doubt that but anyway... the point being, leveling is hardly cheating, it's kinda the point of the game. That'd be like saying MFing is cheating 'cause you find all this cool epuiptment that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

14. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

It's not cheating at all. For me, I run Shenk/Eldritch in norm till i'm clvl 37 (where xp penalties kick in), and then I leave the bloody foothills. Same goes for Norm baal. I rarely ever leave norm under clvl 50. And it happens again with NM ancients, as I like to have most if not all of my endgame gear on before that fight, even if it means going to clvl 73 (stormy, for example) in the ancient's way. I then run Baal till about 76. It's not cheating its just playing the game.

crg

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The game itself is balanced so that you're still getting good experience in NM. It's the way the game is designed. How could it be cheating?

Before the last forum wipe there was a guy playing online who got to level 70 with a bowazon without ever leaving Normal. That was more an exercise in masochism than anything else, but you know.

16. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Actually, my first Pat had a similar story. I had poor skill allocation, lousy items, scraping through the acts. I had hit a wall in NM act III; I couldn't get past the council. An old forumite named Ranger donated a few items to me (Bing Sz Wang & Vile Husk), and explained how much better Frenzy was than Double Swing (he was amazed I had gotten as far as I did). after beating Meph, I felt like it was cheating. But i got over it, and eventually patted the character.

Now, mostly thanks to the forum, i have improved my play by leaps and bounds; I have another Pat barb (lvl 86), and a lvl 83 HC Necro, soon to be a Guardian (I hope). Keep up the good work!

Steve

17. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

all the distinction is version 1.09 and 1.10
    in 1.09 you can't make level in act I to IV (in NM and hell ).

in 1.10 the balancing is very good. and well you'll kill andariel, you'll will be over lvl 70 with or without making run before. in fine, it's the same so you can't speak about cheating ;)

18. Piawanegawa

Piawanegawa IncGamers Member

In 1.10 it's almost impossible to survive in hell on the level you finish nightmare.

Try to go into hell with such a low level and you get your a$$ handed to you on a plate :)

Pia

19. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I'd have to add one thing here that people fail to mention...

It is perfectly fine to level in previous difficulties and areas, if you so wish. No one's forcing you to play the game in any other way that you decide to do.

That said...it's perfectly possible to play through the whole game, all 3 difficulties, without ever repeating a single area, and it doesn't automatically mean dying often. It does have it's requirements though, and that is /players 8 all the way, perhaps even fullclears and playing with a twinked character or a cookie cutter that can do well without twinking (Hammerdin, Fishymancer).

Sure if you have enough patience and experience, you can do it with other builds too and with lower player settings, but then the difficulty is definitely higher.

20. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I´ve entered Hell twice at level 67 (/players 1 full clear pace), with underpowered HC characters, and squeezed through act 1 (doing full clears) with both of them. It was slow going and it was often dangerous, but I made it.

Not for those who can´t afford spending 3+ hours in Forgotten Tower, though...