Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I <3 being one screen away from Durance of Hate Level 3 <

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gabber_Roid, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Gabber_Roid

Gabber_Roid IncGamers Member

I <3 being one screen away from Durance of Hate Level 3

Act 3 Start to WP takes 8 seconds
    WP to Mephisto takes 7 seconds

So a new game to Meph takes a whopping 15 sec :)

I <3 SP

BTW it only took me about 10 tries to find a 'good' map.

2. Joeyzon

Joeyzon IncGamers Member

Re: I <3 being one screen away from Durance of Hate Level 3

If you start from Act 4, you can make it even quicker.

3. Gabber_Roid

Oh yeah.... good deal. Even with vendor stops? I'll try, brb.

4. Gabber_Roid

Eh, it's a toss up if you have to go to the vendor.

5. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Excuse my ingorance but what'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

6. Joeyzon

Joeyzon IncGamers Member

Well if you are just running mephy...it makes more sense to start from act 4...you are right next to the waypoint...instead of having to run for 8 seconds like the OP stated for Act 3. It's just quicker IMHO. And leave your vending til you're done with meph, go through the portal, which brings you back to Act 4, and do your vending...Save and exit...rinse and repeat. pretty simple if you ask me.

7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Bugger, I'd thought you'd found a sneaky back way to Mephy. In my case threre'd be very little point in going to Act 4 to save a handful of seconds. I already take up to 30 seconds to save and reload, add that to the several seconds each time I change acts, and that five second time saving becomes half nothing really.

8. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Still a Pentium 133 MHz, huh? :wink:
    Have you tried "-ns" in the program command line? How many seconds does that shave off for you when starting a game/switching acts?

Also, to help with the bridge from Durance 3 to Act 4: There's a spot on the right side of the portal, before you teleport over to Mephisto's place; when you hit that spot while teleporting, the bridge to the portal will automatically rise and save you 1 or 2 seconds later after defeating Mephisto.

9. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Also, if you're a sorc you can set the wp off in act 4 basically from the point you load the game with telekinesis. Click once to the right of your character, hit the wp with telekinesis and go... takes less then 2 sec.

10. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I've never been one to worry about seconds, or even minutes on a run, but I can appreciate a good map. I've had this project in the back of my mind for years where I come up with an objective score for a map. We all know a good map from a bad one, so there must be some way to quantify it. Then... in my wildest dreams... I find a way to program it to evaluate the map files and report the score and highlights of the map.

There's got to be about 10-20 things we want in the ideal map... and your 15 sec to Meph is probably one of the more common metrics. I once had one where I could get to Andy in less than 30, and I've currently got one where Dureal's in the closest crypt and just a single port from the entrance. I haven't timed him but I bet I could get to Durr in under 20 sec.

11. Joeyzon

Joeyzon IncGamers Member

In the case of someone doing 1000 or more meph runs...saving 6 or more seconds a run add up to a huge amount of time saved. But in the case of just "occasionally" running meph...then no...no need to shave off 5 or 6 seconds. It's really only for those who are doing tons and tons of runs.

12. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I submit, Joeyzon, that a player committed to doing 1000 or more runs wouldn't be bothered at all by those 5000-6000 seconds. 100 minutes... an hour and half... doesn't figure into the motivation required to do 1000 runs.

13. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I've never tried the -ns command, because my sight is not great, multifocals and colourblind, so I rely on sound to listen for drops and so I can tell whether I'm being hit. It easier to just put up with the lag.

Sorry G_R, we're was off topic here.

14. Joeyzon

Joeyzon IncGamers Member

You're right Shag....I'm wrong. I'm sorry to the rest of the forum for giving such terrible information. Please forgive me...I will go along my way and continue to play Diablo 2 LOD the way that I want to...just like you do. The OP gave a scenario where he can get to Meph in 15 seconds. I simply gave him an option to get there even quicker, and if I was wrong...then I sincerely apologize. I did not mean to bump heads with someone who is clearly better than me, and who wants to point out how wrong I am. Don't worry...it WILL NOT happen again..

15. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

I have to disagree - considering that my average Mephisto run takes 25 seconds, 5 to 6 seconds more per run equal to 200-240 runs less.

Part of my motivation is to try to get as fast as possible when doing 1000+ runs on one target, though there for sure are other players who rather take the additional time with a sip of hot coffee :wink:

@G_R: Why do you visit the vendor? For pots? Selling items? Just curious, because once I decided I didn't have to visit the vendor (less gold, true...), my run times got way better.

If it's because of mana pots, try Insight on your merc.

If it's because of Healing potions - check if there's a health shrine in Durance III. I had maps where there would spawn one on every run.

If it's because of selling items...well, don't sell the items but throw them away :p

16. Millipede

Millipede IncGamers Member

i totally lol'ed :funnyabove:

quick question: what does the -ns command do? i just found out about the "-skiptobnet" command. its nice. is there a list somewhere with all the different commands?

17. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

-ns disables the in game sound entirely, shaving off a few seconds (depending on your hardware) when loading a game. This is especially useful when running Pindle or Mephisto, both targets you can run in under 30 seconds.

Beware that it leads to game crashes when you try to move between acts for the first time (meaning while questing). For example, if you killed Andariel for the first time and travel with Warriv to Act II.

Here's a list of all command lines:
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Game_commands

Note that most of them don't work (anymore) and some of them are banned (e.g. act 5) or restricted (e.g. seed) on this forum.