Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hydraskullz Untwinked 1.13 Three-Tree Sorc Guide

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Hydraskullz, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Hydraskullz

Hydraskullz IncGamers Member

Hydraskullz Untwinked 1.13 Three-Tree Sorc Guide

Hi all. I’ve been playing Diablo II since the early 1970s, but this is my first guide. This is a three-tree sorceress that I’ve been having a lot of fun with. I hope you enjoy it.

Stats:
    Enough strength for gear, put the rest into vitality. Personally, I have 30 base strength – enough to use a Stealth breastplate at low level - and I don’t try for max block.

Skills:
    Warmth: 20 points
    Firewall: 10 points
    Fire Mastery: 1+ points
    Static Field: 10-15 points
    Blizzard: 20 points
    Glacial Spike or Ice Blast: 20 points
    Cold Mastery: 1+ points
    Prereqs and One-Point Wonders: Inferno, Blaze. Charged Bolt, Lightning, Chain Lightning, Telekinesis, Teleport, Energy Shield. Ice Bolt, Ice Blast or Glacial Spike, Cold Nova. 11 points total.

What’s good about this build?
    Max Warmth: Mana isn’t going to be a problem, even without Insight.
    Energy Shield: Truly a one-point wonder with this build, considering the help you get from Warmth.
    Large Static Field: It has a 9.3 yard radius, and that’s before +to skills.
    Untwinked: You can kick butt untwinked!*
    Open-Ended Gear Choices: Since this build is untwinked*, you have a lot of flexibility regarding what gear to use.
    Multiple Damage Types: Immunes aren’t a problem.
    Finished Early: After level 82, invest in whatever skill you like.

*This is an untwinked build, but I’m going to assume you can get at least +6 to skills quite easily. Spirit sword, any +2 ammy, and two points from elsewhere. These 6 points are going to more than double your Fire Wall damage, increase your Blizzard damage considerably, make your Static Field’s range huge, and make investing more than one point into the masteries optional.

But Hydraskullz, why Blizzard and not Frozen Orb? Because I’ve never made a Blizz sorc, and Frozen Orb is way too popular. Make your own damn guide if you like Frozen Orb so much.

Merc:
    Act 2 Nightmare Defensive. The Holy Freeze aura is a godsend. The slower your opponent is, the longer he stays in your Fire Wall. Outfit with Insight if your mana pool is small and you want even better mana regen rates. After you have enough + to mana, you can swap it out for whatever you like, or keep using it, I don’t care! The usual helm and armor choices apply: physical damage reduction gear is popular for a reason.

Skill progression:
    I’m not going to tell you exactly what to do here, but I highly recommend getting those 10 points into Static Field as early as possible. Static Field can take anything down to 1 hp in normal, in nightmare it can take monsters down to 33% of hp, and in hell it can take them down to 50% of hp. Take advantage of this by investing early to get the radius up. If all the monsters on the screen in norm have 1 hp, you don’t need a full 20 points in Blizzard yet, do you? After that, I’d focus on Warmth and prereqs. Just make sure that by the time you leave normal (around lvl 40-50), you have enough points in one of your damage spells to take down nightmare monsters that have 1/3 of their hp left. That won’t be hard. As stated above, you have some freedom after level 82. You can invest in cold or fire mastery, a Blizzard synergy, or other one point wonders like Enchant or Frozen/Shiver Armor.

Gameplay:
    Nothing in this section should surprise you. Use your spells to kill stuff. Keep your merc alive, and use him for crowd control. Reposition your merc when necessary, using Teleport. Don’t be afraid to fall back with Teleport to add distance between you and your enemy and force them to re-enter the Holy Freeze. Hit ranged attackers with Blizzard from a distance before trying to close. Static Field rules this build. Four quick casts of Static Field in nightmare will take nearly the entire screen down to 1/3 hp, then you can switch to Blizzard or Fire Wall to mop up. In Hell, Static Field will only take monsters down to 50%, so it’s going to be harder to mop up. But if Hell wasn’t hard we wouldn’t call it Hell, would we? You won’t be doing as much damage as someone who invests in only one or two trees so it will take you longer to kill stuff. However, you will be able to handle immunes, your Energy Shield is respectable, and you can solo the entire game.

2. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Re: Hydraskullz Untwinked 1.13 Three-Tree Sorc Guide

Wow you're pretty hardcore. I remember playing the original Diablo when it first came out on ENIAC, though.

Being serious, though, I dont think this is truly a tri-elemental build; SF itself isnt a killing skill, so you're still reliant on your merc to take out CI/FIs. This is a fine build for untwinked solo leveling through Normal and NM, but I doubt very much you'd want to stick with it endgame, once you've gotten decent gear and enough +skills to make SF a 1-pt wonder. You'd be a lot better off switching to a purer FW/Blizzard build, if you like this style of gameplay :)

You just seem a little overenamored with SF. At 9.3 m, its not even close to covering a full screen at 800x600 resolution, which IIRC is about 11 m to the top/bottom and just under 14 m to the corners. And while excellent untwinked, once you're geared up endgame, those skillpoints are just much better spent synergizing your main attacks.

I'd also max Firewall before Warmth. Warmth is a synergy, so its worth it for a FW sorc to spend more than the 1 point you usually put in it, but Insight is definitely on the list of "untwinked" equipment, and that solves all your mana troubles.

Also, Enchant really isnt a 1-pt wonder...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

I'd agree, I don't think you can claim SF justifies a tri element tag, all sorcs should have 1 point in SF and i don't think a pure blizz sorc with a 1 point SF qualifies as dual element.

SF is the bees knees for 1 point, but I can't see how a bigger range really helps compared to what else you could have spent the points on. No matter how big the range of SF is, it's still only going to take 50% off anything in Hell, so the skill points imo would be better off invested in a damage skill to remove the remaining 50%. Cold Mastery would be one of the places I'd suggest reinvesting these points as untwinked you're not going to be swimming in +skills.

I'd also agree that Insight certainly fits into the untwinked catagory.

:welcome: to the forums btw :wave:

4. Hydraskullz

Hydraskullz IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. [email protected]

I agree that this isn't a tri-elemental damage build, but I call it Three-Tree based on the massive utility the build gets from the lightning tree (teleport, ES, static). Maybe I should rename it.

I am certainly enamored with Static Field and investing 10 points in it, and maybe I didn't sell that point enough. As I stated, I assume you can get +6 to skills untwinked, which makes the radius 13.3, not 9.3. That more than doubles the area of effect from 86*pi to 177*pi. With this build, Static Field is your primary skill. Having ten points in it allows you to 1), affect nearly the entire screen, and 2) keep a safe distance from monsters while static'ing. These two things turn Static Field from a spell that is mainly useful for taking bosses down to 50% (at the risk of getting too close) to a spell that is useful for taking everything on the screen down to 50%. After which, you switch to Blizzard or Fire Wall or both depending on what you're fighting. Yes, you could put the 9 points into Cold Mastery or one of your damage skills. If you do that, you need to take the monsters down from 100% hp with your damage skill, not 50% hp. And now it's a different build entirely, for which there is already a guide.

As for maxing Fire Wall before Warmth, I see where you are coming from. That's a matter of preference, and I agree that your Fire Wall will do more damage with that build. And I agree that Insight qualifies as untwinked gear. I just like the option of not having to use Insight, maybe using something with crushing blow instead. I think the Fire Wall damage is sufficient @2800 dmg/sec given that most monsters will already be at 50% health, and you have Blizzard as well.

And yes, technically Fire Enchant isn't a one point wonder, since it will cost you 3 points to get. Just to clarify, at this level I consider it more a tool for chanting low level characters than anything that is really helping yourself.

Thanks again for the feedback! I've been lurking on these forums a long time, figured it was time to contribute something.

5. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

I guess it depends on the player settings you play on, unless you are soloing in high /p games just spamming FB / Blizz or w/e usually makes SF redundant apart from bosses.

Sure you could put x points in SF to get the whole screen to 50%, or you could just drop a blizz on them and loot them :).

That said, I only ever really play the most standard of sorc builds and i have no experience of FW builds.

6. CrimsonBishop

CrimsonBishop IncGamers Member

I have a similar build as my main mf sorc, except I use frozen orb instead of blizzard and I have more points invested to firewall/mastery. I am having a lot of fun with it and it is a little different than the standard builds.

It is nice to see someone else who appreciates high level static, especially for untwinked play. I had expected I would respect down to one point in static once I got nice gear, but I still find it beneficial. I use it as my spammable skill and it is so nice to be able to take every non lightning immune monster on screen down to half life in just a few casts. I find a larger radius allows me to use it much more as a main skill instead of just against bosses and it makes it feel like I'm playing a three tree sorc.

7. droid

droid IncGamers Member

In high-player games, SF is definitely much more worthwhile. But you probably wont want to be running solo in /p8 games untwinked....

The thing about SF and /p1 games is that, in the time it takes you to cast 3 SFs and bring everyone down to 50%, you could have cast a couple well-synergized CLs or a couple FBs that would do the trick as well.

Of course, for a FW/Blizz build, where both skills are timered, SF is as good an option as any to cast while you're waiting for skill cooldowns. But then again, if you're casting SF between Blizzards and Firewalls, you dont need it to be full screen, since most monsters in your Blizzards and Firewalls are going to be closer than 10m already. You can just cast FW/Blizzard, then SF SF SF to weaken them up for the AoE spell to finish, and then another Blizzard/FW SF SF SF elsewhere, repeat.

Basically the argument comes down to its usually better to have 1 thing that works start to finish, than to have 2 separate things that do the same job as the 1.

8. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I just can't get over the 1970's line. That just sets the rest of the tone for me.