Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

***Hydra Sorceress Build*** please critique

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Murderface, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Murderface

Murderface IncGamers Member

***Hydra Sorceress Build*** please critique

The Hydra Sorceress
    The latest assault on Harrogath had been particularly brutal, and the newcomer was the town’s last hope to defeat the overseer Shenk. Calmly, she walks out into the frigid wilderness of the Bloody Foothills. The cold doesn’t seem to bother her fiery spirit. As she walks, many of the enslaved gather around her. They have no idea what lurks within her. With the wave of a hand, a rift in the earth opens up, and a 3 headed fiery beast bursts forth, spewing fiery death upon the enslaved. She continues to walk calmly as more and more of the deadly Hydra’s are summoned from Hell itself. With fire all around her, she walks up near to Shenk and raises her arms. In that terrible moment of stillness, he tries to run, but the meteor is too fast. Within minutes, all is calm again. Shenk is gone, never to plague Harrogath again, and the town is safe. As she walks back into Harrogath, a villager asks her if there is anything that she wanted. She utters one word: Baal.

Ok, now that my pitiful attempt at compelling literature is over, time for the build! I had always enjoyed screwing around with hydra on my old meteor and fireball sorces, so I decided to turn this little used skill into a viable killing machine.
    Here are some numbers to make your mouth water:

7581-8196 Fire bolts (for killing annoying kids in pubs)*
    8804-9550 Fireballs (secondary skill)*
    11461-12186 Meteors (with only 1 point!!!)*
    3187-3577 Hydra shots (ehehehehhh)*
    *with +20 to fire skills​

2. Murderface

Stats​
    (build looks a little stupid, forums f**k up word documents)
    o Strength - if you don’t know what I’m going to say, delete your account
    o Dexterity - if you want to get max block, go right ahead. I don’t recommend it, more health = good
    o Vitality - everything you can spare
    o Energy - ummmmmm yeah……… no.

Skills​

o Cold
    ? 1+ - Chilling armor (points to taste after build is done)
    ? 1 - All prerequisites
    o Lightning
    ? Huh?
    o Fire
    ? 20 - Fire bolt (synergy for hydra)
    ? 20 - Fireball (synergy for hydra + secondary attack)
    ? 20 - Hydra (duh….)
    ? 20 - Fire Mastery (+163% to all fire damage at 20)
    ? 1+ - Meteor (after +skills becomes quite effective because you have maxed most of the synergies anyways; pump this or chilling armor up after build is done)
    ? 1 - All Prerequisites

3. Murderface

Equipment Suggestions​

o Head
    ? Shako, or other +skills +Mana
    o Neck
    ? Rising sun, maras, tals, rares w/ skills
    o Chest
    ? CoH, Enigma (dusk shrouds)
    o Fingers
    ? Dual Sojs, Bul Kathos, Raven
    o Hands
    ? Magefists or Frostburns
    o Waist
    ? Arachnid Mesh or Verdungos if you need more health
    o Boots
    ? Treks or whatever else you can find
    o Weapon
    ? Perfect Eschuta's Temper is best for +20% fire skills damage, Hexfire if you’re poor, occy, hoto
    o Shield
    ? Lidless, Spirit if you want to spend the points for the str, Visceratuant, Moser’s if you’re lacking resists
    o Charms
    ? As many skills gcs as you can get, 9 max with torch and anni, I like to leave some space for picking up items and for tomes (that’s a lie, I’m just too poor to have 9)

4. Murderface

Leveling

o 1-10
    ? Start to put points into fire bolt; sadly, it will be your main attack until you get fireball and hydra.
    ? Put points in prerequisites for shiver armor
    ? 1 point in static field
    o 11-20
    ? Get shiver armor
    ? Get prerequisites for meteor and hydra
    ? Start pumping fireball, yayyy no more fire bolt ; )
    o 21-30
    ? 1 point in meteor
    ? Start filling hydra
    ? 1 point in Fire mastery when you can
    o 30+
    ? Max in this order
    ? Hydra
    ? Fire Mastery
    ? Fireball
    ? Fire Bolt
    ? Meteor + Shiver armor (after build is done)

Enjoy

5. Murderface

Mercenary

I hope you know what i'm going to say, but incase you don't
    oAct1 rogue
    ? +Runs to keep herself alive
    ? +nice lightning hose with +3 skills

oAct2 Holy Freeze or Defiance with infinity ***IDEAL***
    ? +holy freeze slows large groups so your hydras can get lots of shots off
    ? +Defiance won't die.... ever
    ? +both are great tanks and can kill fire immunes quite well
    ? +Conviction from infinity lets you kill fire immunes as well

oAct3 Iron Wolves
    ? +Can somewhat handle fire immunes
    ? +can hold the most gear
    ? -Damage not comparable to act 1, 2, or 5

oAct5 Barbarians
    ? +Great tanks
    ? +give em some lifesteal and they will not die
    ? +pop a botd cb in there and watch the fire immunes drop
    ? -no aura

6. TheBe

TheBe IncGamers Member

Why u don't use teleport skill? Then u wouldn't need enigma to teleport (would allow you to wear Coh).

7. scottrick49

scottrick49 IncGamers Member

saves him some skill points, and the +2 skills is sexy along with the enormous str bonus.

looks like you will destroy everything cept fire immunes. not bad

8. Murderface

***double post***

9. Murderface

The only solution i could come up with for fire immunes was the merc with the infinity. You wouldn't destroy fire immunes, but they wouldn't be too much of a problem. Costs lots though.

Scottrick has it down, enigma isn't just for the teleport, its got lots of great mods as well.

10. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Let me give my opinion, from first hand, I tried one.
    I have a hydra sorcerer, with maxed hydra and synergies and about +9 in hydra and fire mastery, I think.
    I'm doing about 1k damage. It looks nice, but it isn't. Hydra is slow as dead. Once cast it doesn't shoot that often and just really comes strong when multiply are cast. I think I could have ended the battle before all the hydras were cast if I'd have a better skill maxed out. And fire immunes are a pain in the ***, I know, no infinity. Yet for some amongst us, infinity is just a bit too good for the moment.

All I can say that with my poor gear, I can't pull a similar build off. And with the best gear, you can pull any build off. Have you tried this with crappy equipment. Try soloing hell naked and let me know.

11. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

Enigma is a waste for sorcs. CoH has +65 to all resists, dr, magic find, same +2 skills. Yes, you run/walk faster with Enigma, but how often do sorcs walk...

My main gripe with this build: the game is brimming with fire immunes - you'll be spending hours waiting for your merc to play the game for you, and you will be worthless in Act 4, not to mention against the minions in the throne. As far as hydra sorcs go, your build looks fine, but this is another single element sorc that has to be baby-sat through D2 because she can't do any area on her own.

Not meant to flame (oops) your build, because hydra is fun, and if that's what you intended then more power to you. But long term I'd put the CL-FO, meteorb and blizzball sorc miles ahead of this.

12. Murderface

See, the thing is i enjoy builds that are slightly off-the-wall, not cookie cutters. I have a Bow pally, a fire druid :badteeth: , a zeal enchantress, a glimmershred sorc, a vengeance pole pally (great fun), and a zeal barb(even more fun). So, i wanted to make a build that would be a lot of fun to mess around with, not necissarily to solo the ubers. But, the damage does get pretty freakin high.

13. mrfrost

mrfrost IncGamers Member

Well I must admit the comments in this thread had me laughing (the truth is often funny). Interesting read. I think I am going to try it myself.

14. mrfrost

mrfrost IncGamers Member

Oh almost forgot, I got to solo hell naked first, lol.

Regg likes this.
  15. Murderface

One thing i forgot to add, is this build is great for farming NM andy since she has -50 fire resist. Why should i farm nm andy you say? Simple: she has the highest drop rate for Sojs, and Sojs = good.

16. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Are you sure that the Lightning Hose is still there? Everything I've heard says it has been patched for a while now.

17. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Exchuta's is garbage because of the way masteries work with +X% fire/light damage. Use a more effective weapon like HotO.

crg

18. SephirothDem

SephirothDem IncGamers Member

Sad strange little man

My Friend could own ur small dmg i should say. His Normal Fire Ball attack is 26k his meteor dose 30-31k and umm sad to say but the fire dmg really got owned. so in any news nice hydra dmg man i love it

19. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I hate it when someone sees the need to belittle a build that they don't understand by talking about how some other superl33t uber build is oh so much better. I'm not saying that you're a jerk, I'm just saying that you probably didn't think about it, but that's a very jerky thing to do.

For your information, your friend's Fireball won't own this Hydra's "small dmg". Consider: Hydra has a 2 second casting delay and fires 3 bolts per second (one per head). Hydra has a 10 second duration, which means the max possible Hydras one sorc can have summoned at one time is 5. 5 Hydras x 3 bolts per hydra per second = 15 hydra bolts per second. Factor in the fact that at the 8fpc breakpoint you can cast 5 fireballs between each Hydra, and you get the following comparisons.

Hydra = 30 bolts per 2 seconds * 3382 avg damage per bolt = 101,860 Hydra damage per 2 seconds
    Fireball = 5 casts per 2 seconds * 9177 avg damage per cast = 45,885 damage per 2 seconds
    Total fire damage = 147,745 damage per 2 seconds, divided by 50 frames per 2 seconds = 2955 damage per frame.

As for your friend... 26k fireball damage divided by 8 frames per fireball = 3250 damage per frame. That's 3250 damage per frame compared to 2955 damage per frame- less than a 10% difference. I'd hardly call that "ownership" (especially because your friend's 26k Fireball probably only has 26k MAX damage, which means 25k average damage, which means there's only a 5% difference in damage per second). Remember, too, that Hydra can do things that Fireball can't even *DREAM* of, such as autotarget (leaving you free to spam Static Field, Teleport, or Glacial Spike while still dealing massive amounts of fire damage). Hydra can also very easily kill enemies off-screen, and has a much larger range than Fireball. Your friend's Fireball might deal 9% more damage per second than this Hydra, but your friend can't keep enemies perpetually frozen (thanks to Glacial Spike), and if you factor in Static Field, I'd bet the Hydra Build would even kill bosses faster than your friend's Fireball Sorc. And this is without even mentioning the fact that your friend has much better gear (at least +31 to fire skills and 80 skill points, compared to this build which has, as best as I can tell, around +20 or +21 fire skills- meaning with 10 fewer +skills, the Hydra build still has almost as much potential damage output).

Just because you don't understand a build doesn't mean it's weak. To put it very simply, with 80 skill points, a Hydra/Fireball Sorc will *ALWAYS* be capable of dealing more damage per second than a pure Fireball Sorc, assuming equal gear. ALWAYS.

Hydra is, in my opinion, one of the more underappreciated Sorceress skills in the game. It's very definitely capable of killing in Hell. My favorite Sorceress build is a Hydra/Frozen Orb/Fireball hybrid.

Regg likes this.
  20. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

you won't ever get 5 hydras firing at the same - only 4
    also, hydras fire one bol per 24 frames - not 25.

also autoaim is both a blessing and a curse since it doesn't take enemy's movement into account.

IMO your statement about Hydra sorc dealing more damage then pure fireball sorc is exaggaretated.

Having said that I must Hydra/Orb sorceress is my favourite too:wink3: