hydra sorc

moiselvus

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
hydra sorc

hi, i'm planning to make a hydra sorc, primarely to run NM/HELL Andariel, as they have -50 fire resist.

so I was thinking something like:
20 firebolt
20 fieball
20 hydra
20 fire mastery

and of course tele and static, this leaves me with ~21 points, wich should be enough to max another skill, and put a point in the mastery.
So my question: What skill should I use besides the Hydra/fireball, would nova be any good at such a low-level mastery?
Thanks in advance,
~moiselvus

Mesuno

Diabloii.Net Member
hi, i'm planning to make a hydra sorc, primarely to run NM/HELL Andariel, as they have -50 fire resist.

so I was thinking something like:
20 firebolt
20 fieball
20 hydra
20 fire mastery

and of course tele and static, this leaves me with ~21 points, wich should be enough to max another skill, and put a point in the mastery.
So my question: What skill should I use besides the Hydra/fireball, would nova be any good at such a low-level mastery?
Thanks in advance,
~moiselvus
Well i'm just getting back into d2 after a long break and haven't played sorc again yet so my memory may be a little rusty.

My thoughts would be either

Stick with fire as it is already synergied, but buff enchant with 20 points or so too. Very party friendly and a great boost for your merc.

or

Static Field - points gives a range bonus right? You won't want to be up close while using hydra but flashing a large radius static will help take down bosses faster

Guess it depends which merc you are using but I assume Act2 prayer merc with a fancy runeword polearm? Put the one that gives meditation on him and you will heal a nice chunk of hp per second (doubles as prayer synergises the meditation)

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Generally speaking, the only two spells available to a Sorc that will actually kill with a ~21-25 point investment (max skill, 1 point mastery) are Frozen Orb and Firewall. Since you're already a fire build, Frozen Orb would be the logical choice. Plus it has the advantage of pwning Nightmare hard.

moiselvus

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
enchant wouldn't be sinergised, and I play single player, although I do MP somethimes. I've been thinking of static, but i think +to skills should be able to get a decent range, and I'd really like another element for FI while questing...

as for the question of the merc, i was thinking holy freeze, but I'm not really sure about that, so othe suggestions would be fine.
~moiselvus

Mesuno

Diabloii.Net Member
enchant wouldn't be sinergised, and I play single player, although I do MP somethimes. I've been thinking of static, but i think +to skills should be able to get a decent range, and I'd really like another element for FI while questing...

as for the question of the merc, i was thinking holy freeze, but I'm not really sure about that, so othe suggestions would be fine.
~moiselvus
I was thinking of the fire mastery as synergy.. enchants true synergy is warmth right? what does it do without warmth?

moiselvus

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
okay, I don't know how much damage it'll add, but as I play SP, i want to be able to kill FI without relying purely on my merc.
I'll use Frozen orb, and tal's set, however what shield should I use, what merc should I use (act 2 as i need meditation aura...) , and should i go max block, or pure vita?
~moiselvus

Murderface

Diabloii.Net Member
okay, I don't know how much damage it'll add, but as I play SP, i want to be able to kill FI without relying purely on my merc.
I'll use Frozen orb, and tal's set, however what shield should I use, what merc should I use (act 2 as i need meditation aura...) , and should i go max block, or pure vita?
~moiselvus
I'd definitely have to agree with SSoG on the orb. Not only because he's a god among D2 players, but because he's right. For shields, i like a Lidless Wall. Skills, Mana, cast rate, +10 energy, Everything a sorcress needs. If you're lacking in resists, which you shouldn't be with tals, you can always pop 2 pdiamonds in a Mosers Blessed Circle and wear that. For merc, i would go with an act 2 defiance or holy freeze, just like everyone else in the world. for the meditation you'll get an insight, but if you're rich, you could always pop an infinity in there and not need another element to pwn faces. Max block/vita: personally i like vita for a sorc, but thats because i tend to run around like a little pansy and block doesn't help me at all. Most of the attacks i get hit with are elemental, and only life and weapon block can help with that. But we're not assasins, are we?