Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hydra Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Still-Xey-Lover, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

Hydra Sorc

Hello, I play hardcore and i've always wanted to make a hydra sorc. I've never made a sorc not meant for running meph/andy etc. This char would be for pvm most likely. I've searched the forums but i haven't found an "official" guide. I was hoping to get some input on items, skills and a merc. Here's what i THINK will be good: max fireball, max firebolt, max hydra, max fire mastery, 1 pt. tele, 1 pt. energy shield and rest into meteor. Basically a fire sorc with hydra, correct? As far as items go i'm thinking it will be the same as a mf sorc with a few changes. Shako with fire facet, eschutas with fire facet, 2x pdiamond moser shield, waterwalks, +3 fire ammy, magefists (i KNOW i can't be wrong on these :D), 2x soj if i can afford them, tgods and as many fire skillers as i can get. I assume the ideal merc would be using infinty cryptic axe, shaft and tals mask. Alright, well thanks in advance for any replies i get.

2. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

Forget the energy shield...I've never made a hydra sorc (I really should. Maybe an MLD or something) but I've heard that hydra is used for PKing (maybe not in this patch?) so people might not like to party you o.o

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

That all sounds good. Basically, you're building a pure fire sorc. Hydra is viable, but it will be very slow in an 8 player game. You'll probably find it quicker with FBall and Meteor in big games. In 1-3 player games, Hydra will do very nicely.

Gear looks good. It's all about the +skills, FCR and resists. I calculate 60% FCR with your setup, throw in 10% somewhere to reach the 63% FCR breakpoint. Maybe a +3 fire / 10% FCR amulet. Shako and War Travelers will make her a basic MF'er.

Hydra has a long casting delay, so spam Fireballs while you're waiting, or teleport if in danger.

If your merc is going to use Infinity, then that'll make it faster and easier. You will still come across a few FIs though.

Lastly, forget the 1 pt ES/TK. It will rob you of mana. If you must, go with 1 pt Frozen Armour, but even that I wouldn't do. Better to have one of the cold armours on switch and save those points. Since you're using Moser's, you'll be max vita anyway, so you shouldn't be getting into melee range, making the cold armours less important.

4. Still-Xey-Lover

Okay, thank you, i was only thinking mosers because of the big res bonus. Without wizzy or hoto i will be lacking in res. Will max block be important to survival for this sorc? And does fcr affect hydra ?

5. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

Hydra is cool, I think you should go through with it. Its not as strong as Meteor, but its got a lot of other cool things besides damage to make up for it.

6. FrostBurn

You don't need max block for this sorc to survive. If I was building it, I'd go with max vita. Hydra does not need you to tank.

FCR only affects the casting animation of Hydra, which won't make it all that faster. The timer delay remains the same. Aim for 63% FCR for teleporting and spamming Fireballs.

7. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

I restarted on the ladder a couple of weeks ago and have a hydra/orb sorc and she kills just fine in 8 player games. She now wears Tals and uses Whistons' Guard shield with a defiance merc. 3 fire skillers.

Playing hardcore, I think hydra/orb would be a good choice for you. See a recent discussion here
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=491147

8. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

You might find this guide interesting: http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=55166

It's for a Hydra/Fireball/Orb build; but even if you're planning on going pure fire (which I think is a good deal for a Hydra build), there's much to enjoy and profit from in this guide, I think.

[Melianor, I link to an outside site. Is that okay? If not, don't hesitate to delete my post with alacrity.]

9. FrostBurn

You can't link to that site as it is a competing site.

Good thing I got your link before Meli comes teleporting in with his delete-stick. :grin:

10. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

Nice, FrostBurn! Don't want to provoke the moderator gods. :wink3: Now if I can only figure out how to delete the post...

Help! How do I delete it?

11. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

You could have just edited it out...too late now, though ;O

12. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grovel at Melianor's feet expressing sincere contrition and perchance some mercy will be shown. :smiley:

13. Still-Xey-Lover

I totally forgot about Tal's set. Would it be more effective than the gear i said before ? It would be MUCH cheaper to get and i would have lots of mf!

14. Grumpy Old Wizard

Someone with more analytical skill will have to answer that question. All I can say is it cheap, effective, gives you great survivability, and gives you magic find. Tals set is highly underrated. I'm called a newbe in Baal runs for using it, but funny thing is when other sorceresses are droping like flies I stay alive...

15. FrostBurn

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, well, too many good things to say about it and I'm not bothered to spend too much time typing. Suffice to say that the -15% enemy fire resistance on the orb is wonderful, and will easily surpass any +% fire damage you could reasonably put together (I'm ruling out a JMoD socketed with four perfect fire facets). :rolleyes:

Resistances, MF, FHR, +life, +mana, blah blah blah blah blah..........

16. Still-Xey-Lover

Will this build need an infinity merc + sorc torch + anni etc. to do well? I don't have the resources to get those atm. :x

17. FrostBurn

Any build without those items can do well.

Those items only make playing faster.

It takes a really rubbish build to actually need Infinity.

18. Gimmershred

Gimmershred IncGamers Member

I got a hydra/nova hybrid.

With around 1k hydra , 2k nova and an infinity voulge in my hand it works just fine and i can kill pretty much anything in 8 playergames. Must say that static field is very handy when you carry infinity in 8playergames.
    I even have 20 points in tk and decent es.

If you lack resources for an infinity you might better go pure fire. At skillevel +-35 with full synergies and the rest of the points dropped in meteor you will reach the following at lvl 90:

1) 2.5k hydra
    2) 10-11k fireball
    3) 20k meteor

Of course hell will be a problem with all the fire-immunes.

19. Grumpy Old Wizard

No, you don't have to have infinity. I use insight on my hydra-orb sorc (level 89 and growing) an she does just fine. Tal set, 3 fire skillers. My wealth is growing and I do expect to have a torch if not latter tonight then within a few days for sure.

I went base energy and use Whiston's for max block. Topazed armor and helm. A fire facet will go in the orb and shield.

20. Still-Xey-Lover

How'd do you get 2.5k hydra? I looked on a skill calculator and with a non-tals good setup there was roughly 3k fire dmg (+11 skills from gear) and with tals (+6 skills) the hydra was at 1.5ishk dmg. The dmg increase is huge with the other setup, but i assume it would be much more expensive, although i already have a +3/19/18 eschutas and shako etc.