Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hydra sorc varient?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Tyce, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

Hydra sorc varient?

I was wondering how to make my Hydra sorc once i get online ( i know i'm still working on it). This is the setup i was thinking but its been a while and there is no list up atm where i can look at synergies and stuff.

20 hydra
    20 fireball
    10 firbolt
    5 fire mastery
    20 charged bolt
    20 lightning or Chain Lightning*
    5 lightning mastery
    synergies

*prefered

So i'm thinking either a hydra/CB or hydra/CL, cause both can be used for crowd control but i believe i'm favoring charged bolt. Wide spread attack + a snipping minion.
    This is mostly based for PvM but could be a possible PvP player. I don't care about equipment atm. just the build

so CL/L/or CB?
    which would be my best option?

2. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

Re: Hydra sorc varient?

err, i rekon Hydra/Orb is the best way to go on a hybrid sorc. the downside is two timered spells.

3. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

exactly.... thats why my choices are not timered to use with hydra....

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Your lightning skills will be quite weak if you don't spend (at least) 60+ skillpoints in them (either 20 each in CB/L/LM or 20 each in CL/L/LM). The same is pretty much true for your Hydra (20+ points required for a good Hydra). That's kindof why Frozen Orb is the most reasonble backup for a Hydra sorc - you can skimp on the skillpoints and still have two reasonably strong attacks. If you desperately want to avoid FrozenOrb (or you simply want to use a lightning skill), you might get by with a Nova backup.

So, although you can make this work with some patience (and good equipment), I doubt this build will be very fun to play (unless you really enjoy a challenge). I expect you're simply going to be progressing/killing too slowly for enjoyment.

And fyi, I'm pretty sure (99.9%) you'll get your *** handed to you in PvP too (with a Hydra/dual-element build), but I don't play that myself, so I'm not positive.

5. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

I don't mind the challenge and i'll be playing packed games so things will die fast. I'll have 2 crowd control skills and decent enough stuff to kill. Also, pvp is alll about damage but tactics comes in handy too.

6. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

... as long as every one else is able to kill things fast. :grin:

Exactly. Your damage is going to be low. Very low. Before trying this, you might want to go here, plug in your planned numbers, and figure out what your damage will be... then "do some math" on what resistances (and also the PvP penalty, and possibly absorb) will do to that.

Simply put, I think you're going to be very disappointed with your killing power - especially when the number of people increases (read: the monsters' HPs increase too) and resistances take a chunk out of the damage you do.

Nevertheless, it's your choice. I'll wish you luck, and we can both hope that I'm wrong.

7. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

For PvM I would go with CB, it works better than CL with lesser equipment. I agree with sirpoopsalot that this won't work for PvP. Not only you'll kill slowly, but with lower damage, you're easily absorbed.

8. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

so should i use lightning or chainlightning to boost CB? I like chain cause i can hit more things in one cast then i can with lightning.

I think i'ma try this. This is a pvm build but i don't mind summoning a hydra when someones running to town to get a kill :p.

Thanks guys, once i get my discs back, i'ma try this out!

9. Nightswipe

Nightswipe IncGamers Member

I just did a hydraorb sorc, I was thinking of pitrunning with it, I came to lvl 71...
    Then I started a new meteorb. If fireball synergized with hydra it might be ok but it doesn't

10. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

CL doesn't synergize CB, sorry. Lightning is its only synergy. Like I said, this is not advised for PvP, BUT should you ever do that for fun know that Charged Bolt is easily nulified. The reason why is that straight absorb will work for every Bolt, not for the total damage.

11. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

See, i'm not gonna be dueling like Hard Core all the time. maybe once or twice when i'm on. I usually just watch or help kill spammers/gold stealers(that are killable). I guess i'll go either CL/L (they synergize eachother right?) Cause i love CL but i'm thinking maybe L/CB might be better.

12. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

I retired my CB-Hydra at lvl90, she did just fine. Just need to be quite near monsters with CB and no time to cast hydra while doing constant CB spamming. Easy to play and easy to do baalruns.

Currently building CL-Hydra, just soloed (in hell) whole act1+pits+act2Rada Q without any problems, she is lvl65 now. She is using medium gear at the moment, haven't transferred good items for her yet. Only 600 life, but at least resist are ok. Build is working, those CL and Hydra goes very good together.

Now lvl30 CL and lvl27hydra with double spirits, aiming for lvl35 CL while carrying infy and little higher hydra, around 38...45 (shield side higher value).
    She will be good for clearing areas, planning to kill all while walking to Baal. This sorc don't have tele-skill or static yet, not sure if she needs. I like runners more than tele chars.

13. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

So i should do what with my stats? I like CL a lot more the CB lol

14. DH Amazon

I put more in lightning tree as less to fire tree, as my hydra will be high lvl anyway. And without 60... points thoses lightning skills dont kill fast enough
    at later part of game. Hydra don't need FB spamming help, when all hydras
    are in field, so around 35...40 is enough there eventually.

Planning to put all hydras up between Baal waves and kill with CL when monsters arrives. Rince and repeat. I open field I cast hydras ahead while
    running, cast another when monster arrive. So at least 2 hydras and CL are there while fighting.

Now lvl70 sorc, with lvl33 CL and lvl38 Hydra. Both kills just fine.
    1 CB 20L 20CL 7 LM
    1 FB 3FB 1Warmth 1Encht 3FM 20Hydra
    something like that so far

Rogue merc with Giant Skull (30ias, knockback),Threachery(45ias, venom) and Harmory bow (Vigor aura). I like to run fast while using hydra, much easier to run back and lure monsters in 'trap'. And these rogues stay alive even at low lvl. Act2 merc maybe when lvl80... with (eth-)Reapers Toll.

About 100...110 str without items. So with help of Thunder belt and some other items I can use Spirit shield (156str req.) from lvl 55...
    Arach belt eventually, but then anni+torch gives enough, so no +20 str from
    Thunder belt needed. TBelt still stays in stash, for those souls areas.
    Planning to carry infy-thresher, so little in dex too, but only around 80, anni and torch gives near 40 anyway eventually. No dex needed if normal shield build.
    Hydras are one of the safest builds, so need to squeeze every point to vit.
    She will survive just fine even little lower life. Shako is good for this build, so it gives both life and mana boost.

Using that rogue merc at least while chaosing, maybe later act2 merc when doing baal. Act2 merc with eth-Reapers Toll is nice tank/killer, so maybe eventually switch to that. With Nova or CB good tank is a must, but with CL, I can survive with Rogue too. And that Rogue/knockback is nice against very hard monsters like fana-hephasto, or Listerpack, she stays alive. And she provides too that poison with ranged attack, so monsters regeration stops
    fast.
    And when I see iron maiden curse at top of my merc, I know that right now I have best merc.

15. DH Amazon

Can't edit anymore.

Just soloed act5 in hell, so build is hell viable. Not best build, but fun to play, and with good items its hell viable even in full games.

Got finally lvl75 after baal, so now with torch its even better.
    (after torch 1.4k hydra, 4.4k CL and 1050 life, 700 mana, resist are fine)

Ancients Q is hard for sorcs, this build was no exception, one double immune took time.
    AnyaQ is easy for hydra sorcs
    Baal took time (no static), but waves before it went down nicely.

And while walking towards throne, that area is made for this char, enough open area to set up hydras and mixed/random immunities and couple double immunes for merc.

Still non-upped vipermagi, tal amu, shako etc... but tonight its time to test with better equip.

16. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

Nice, thanks for the help. I could add some jewels and eq with - resists and +% dmg can't i?

17. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I like the old Hydra Electric Sorc.

18. DH Amazon

You mean those facets, uniq jools.
    Those - resist help a lot, as hell monsters have quite high lightning resist.
    But for low player setups those are overkill, nice for full games, almost mandatory.

I use 3xfacets and carry infy, so lots (-62%) -resist. That +3...5%add, dont affect much but without full synergies, those still give some. Fun to play and can clear almost any area in full games. And very fast while soloing, I like this build. Lvl87 now and goes up fast.
    And some (lvl3 before throne is one) monster classes are unbreakable, so nice to stop there and burn them with hydras.

I don't need merc help while clearing throne or chaos, so I take his weapon off while doing iron maiden areas. Weapon back when those cold immune knights are dead. I kind of lame way to avoid iron maiden, but at least he give aura and can tank quite good without weapon.

19. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

true... Could get a cold merc or a lightning merc lol... Tons of CLs going off... So CL on the left pointer, Hydra on the right?

20. DH Amazon

You can only use Hydra at right pointer, so that leaves left for CL (and L).