Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hydra q's

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Superhal, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

hydra q's

can't find the answers in the faq:

1. how many firebolts are discharged per second? (or frame, however's easiest to describe it.)

2. does adding to firebolt skill affect the head's firebolt damage? (outside of synergy)

3. i read in the faq 3 heads, this is still correct in .10?

4. I've heard that hydra does too little damage in .10 even fully synergized. Is this true?

I'm planning my next build, hydrorb. :)
    20 CM
    20 FO
    20 Ice bolt
    1 tp

leaves about 50 points. if my hydra research pans out, i might go:
    20 FM
    20 Hydra
    10 TK + ES or 10 synergies.

this char is meant to do solo baalruns.

2. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

Superhal

I have a hydra bowsorc and though I love her dearly, she's not going to run Baal. Mausolium, Crypts and Pits she does ok but hydra takes to long for Baal. You might want to look at meteor instead.

3. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Check my thread...

I started a thread a while back about hydras and orbs, you might find some info in there. Basically though hydra is weak in comparison to fireball/meteor build, no matter how you cut it...

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=153156

4. Superhal

i ran some numbers through excel, and non-synergized hydra does @400 per spit with 20 FM.

so, i'm guessing it's:
    head X 400 X rate X time = damage.
    head = 3
    time = 5 seconds
    so damage = 6000 X rate.

so what the heck is the rate?

regarding the other thread, it seems a lot of it has to do with hydra technique. here's what i have planned:
    h = hydra
    m = m
    b = bad guy

when i first see a mob/group:
    ______h__b____h_m_____

so, monsters are following me from left to right.

then:

___m_h_____b_h________

i quickly teleport over to the other side, so the monsters have to double back, while still getting nailed by hydras full force.

but, this is only for CI's. i intend to use orb for most of the killing, and hydras for CI's and scouting the worldstone keep throne room intersections. it doesn't matter if they hit anythign or not, or if what they are hitting is FI or not. i just need to know that they are there. also, the main ci's i'm worried about are OK's, blood lords, and witches, who generally just stand in one place.

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

If you just use Hydra as a secondary skill i'D say its still useabl. Also its fun to play with it. About the number of bolts i am not sure, but from what i remember it would be 5-6bolts per head released before the hydra disappears again.

6. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Hydra's last for 10 seconds. The first second they do nothing. I'm guessing that each head fires 5 bolts so 15 bolts a hydra. If you constantly have 4 hydra's around hell baal i bet you can nail him good. 3000 damage is not out of reach by the way, this is achieved around level 37. That would mean that after you have 4 hydra's up after 8 seconds, you do (3000*15*4)/10 = 18000 damage/sec. That's not a lot better than fire wall, which runs at about 12k (assuming same slvl) but you can stack'm.

Hydra is very safe though.

7. Superhal

yeah i was watching some council hydras during meph runs, and they are very slow. each head shooting 1 bolt per second seems about right.

3 heads X 400 dam X 1 bolt per second = 1200 dam/second for one hydra, stacking 5 would be 6000/s, so for a full 5 hydra stack would be around 30k total damage over 20 seconds (stop casting after 5).

not bad, but baal has 50% resist, so actually 15k damage. he has 493701 hps (in a single player ladder game, according to d2data.net) so it would take 32.9 fully stacked hydras, or 164 (!) casts.

heh i think i'll use FO. :)

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Use some items that will give -xx% fire resitance ( like facets) and you can improve the killing power of those hydras quite a bit!

9. Superhal

yeah i am amazed about cold mastery. i've never had sorcs with this much power.

it makes sense though. lm/fm only multiplies damage, which then gets fractioned by resist. by reducing or eliminating fractioning, damage is actually exponentially increased.