Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hydra-Orb Sorc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by tyhiggz, Jun 27, 2008.

1. tyhiggz

tyhiggz IncGamers Member

Hydra-Orb Sorc?

Since I don't want to have the common Meteorb sorc, I've been using a hydra-orb sorc and she is at level 50. Both of the two moves are maxed and i have one point in mastery for both...
    I was wondering if anyone, from experience, knows if the hydras are any helpful as a secondary element in hell for the cold immune monsters.

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Hydra-Orb Sorc?

If you spend enough points to synergize them, and have decent equipment, they can actually be reasonably powerful. Fortunately, with Orb, you'll have a chance to spend the skillpoints.

So yes, they're not a bad secondary at all.

3. redground

redground IncGamers Member

look, with hidra lvl 20, mastery lvl 20, fire ball and fire bol maxed and 24 to fire skills (2 from shako, 3 from phanton, 2 for CoH, 2 for Spirit, 1 for Arach, 2 for Maras, 2 sojs and 10 fire GC you will get 3.8k-4.3k Dmg for each fire ball, not conting facets, infinity, or what ever.

it is pretty good dmg, with less 3 ponts into synergies u can get warmth, chilng armor, static field, teleport, 20 orb and 1 cold mastery.

for a more realistic gear.
    with 10 to all skils (shako, occy, vipermagi, spirit, tals ammy) you will have 1.9k hidra dmg.

4. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've always thought hydra is underrated. It takes 80 points altogether, which means just enough skill points left to get a good orb. I'd say fire mastery is more important than cold mastery, since -res has diminishing returns (not the amount that you get, but the same amount of -res will make a smaller difference the more you get).

5. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

Did some calculations:
    20 Hydra
    20 Fball
    20 Mastry
    20 FO
    1 CMastry
    1 Fbolt

+10 skills

Hydra dmg: 1272-1457
    FO: 415-435 with -100% to cold res
    Fball dmg: 1088-1316

Can someone check me here?
    Anyway, that seems kind of low=/

Plus there is that song:
    "Hydra suck"
    Not very complicated, but it's catchy:)

6. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

I think you're underestimating Hydra tbh Jim. A lot of skills you can't straight up compare damage-wise. Just look at Frozen Orb.

7. MinusDII

MinusDII IncGamers Member

Hydra dmg: 1,272-1,457

x 3 per Hyda cast = 3,816-4,371

x 4 for total Hydra active at once = 15,264-17,484

Numbers start to look better now.

Lets say you get +30 to skills and max fire blot, thats max dmg of 5,603 per Hydra head.

So thats a max damage output of 67,236.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  8. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

The theoretical math shows it can be pretty high. From experience, I'd estimate that consistently maintaining 1/2 of the theoretical maximum is possible (so if your max-damage is 20k, you can consistently count on 10k in most situations, without breaking a sweat. That's how I assess if an untried skill is "viable" in my planning).

One thing to not overlook about hydras though, is the playstyle... most skills require you to 'make a stand' in order to cause damage, but hydras don't require that same level of commitment. Hydras are cast-and-forget, so even when the damage is low you can still count on the damage while you're busy doing other things (for example, trying to avoid/survive a swarm of monsters). If you play hardcore, this can be kindof nice.

9. Jabari

Jabari IncGamers Member

Asmo's Hydra guide is here. Good reading - not sure why it isn't linked in the sticky.

I love using Hydra - it's my favorite spell in the game. The one problem it has is that it "misses" quite a bit, but anything you can do to slow/stop the monsters helps that a ton. (HFrz act2 merc, GSpike, Orb).

I'm actually going to try a Hydra/Static Field sorc next - Max Static = "Hits Duriel from the Den of Evil" according to Nightfish :) Should be fun!

10. redground

redground IncGamers Member

and if u are low lvl and is afraid of dieing u can always casta hidra in the top of screen and see if it start shooting balls.

It is probabli good for mh runs, sinse it can handle some monster while u use fire ball or orb on other monsters... i will try one in single player (with hero editor) and check if it is viable in hell, if it work it might be my next char (i only play sorcs, i cant play without teleporting and enigma is to rescretive)

11. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

Hydra/Orb is pretty good. Frozen Orb is renowned for its effectiveness. Hydra, however, is a bit different. Its not going to mow things down like Fireball/Meteor, but it can systematically break down mobs from afar, as it is much more defensively-based It changes your tactics a lot and is worth a shot.

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hydra/Orb sorceress is an absolutly fun build. The damage of the Hydras is not to be underestimated. One cast produces three heads that spew out fireballs. Each of those balls has the damage that is displayed in the skill tree. So no recalculate those values. They do alot of damage and are pretty viable in Hell. You can view them as your additional fireball that you dont have to take care off.

In addition with the build that Hello Jim posted you will get a good Fireball. That combined with Orb and the Hydras will make you kill anything fast in Hell mode and you will still be viable in group play.

13. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Man, I would like to play this build. Annoying as hell though that both of the main skills start at lvl 30

14. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

It takes a while, yes, but since you are maxing Fireball along the way, you will do very nicely with that skill until you reach lvl 30. Apart form my Archmage/Tri-Elementalist builds, Hydra/Orb has been the most fun to play.