Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hydra for CIs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Artemis, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Member

Hydra for CIs

I'm starting a Frozen Orb sorc, and considering Hydra for a secondary skill. Her ultimate purpose will be Pit/Mosoleum running. I'm familiar with the effectiveness and popularity of Meteor, but I prefer not to use it. I think the main purpose will be backing up my barb merc (probably using 'Crescent Moon' sword) when he's attacking CIs, and to scout ahead for trouble.

Has anyone used Hydra and been happy with it?

2. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Hydra is really really weak in hell, unless you're planning to run at players 1 (or spend something like 60-80 points for hydra). Here's what I suggest. Focus on your orb, maxing orb and it's synergy, As well as cold mastery, then run the Ancient tunnels at act 2 lost city. There are no cold immunes there, and the monsters are all level 85.

Cold mastery is important because there are magic immunes there, and they will have natural cold resist. Cold mastery helps kill them faster. My CL/ORB sorceress can run The ancient tunnels pretty well. Useful for running the countess too (my current favourite.. hehe)

3. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

I used Hydra on a Blizzard/Hydra sorc which I mat'ed, so you can certainly USE Hydra in Hell--however, I wouldn't say I'm happy with it. Although the damage done by Hydra is OK (each firebolt from my sorc's hydras was doing around 600 damage, they fire very quickly and you can get five of them cast at once if you're quick) and it makes a great scouting skill (cast at edge of screen, see if Hydras start shooting), it suffers two crippling disadvantages in Hell:

1) Each firebolt can only hit a single target. If you're dealing with a crowd, the damage from the Hydras will tend to be spread out over all the monsters and it'll take ages before one of them dies--your Merc will probably get the first kill, in fact.

2) The Hydras aren't intelligent enough to distinguish fire immune creatures, so they'll quite happily blast away at a monster they can't hurt and thus waste precious damage.

Given these restrictions I wouldn't recommend Hydra as a primary skill. The sorceress I'm currently building is going to use Meteor--OK, Meteor/Frozen Orb is about as clear a cookie-cutter build as you can get, but it's better to be alive than unique, that's what I say :).

4. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Member

The ancient Tunnels sounds like a great place; I had forgotten about that one. I sent my barb down there once or twice and did not do well. Since then, I've been sticking to Pits/Meph. I have a wand with Lower Resist charges, I hope it will get me through to Mat'.

5. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Don't have to Mat to do Ancient Tunnels. But it is nice to make it through the game.. lol.

6. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

In my experience, Lower Resist charges are completely useless. Because Lower Resist only works at 1/5th strength on any creature which is immune, you can only break the immunity of a creature with less than 108% resistance to the element in question when you're using Slvl 3 Lower Resist (about the highest you can get with charges). Virtually everything in Hell which is Cold Immune has a MUCH higher resistance than that--for example, Gorebellies in Act 2 Hell have 140% cold resist, so they'll quite happily stun-lock your merc and then kill him while you sit on the sidelines wondering what to do.

7. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

I have a sorc cold/fire with a Spellsteel Axe (with Level 3 Decrepify ) ok it's not the same skill, but in hell, FI/CI champion don't resist me after a Dep !

don't ear other, hydra as second skill will be a great challenge but not impossible and you will play something else than the meteor/orb that everybody play

8. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I have a Hydra sorc in Act 3 hell, she still can kill pretty efficiently now (at /players 1 of course), but i'm dreading act 5, where there are faster, more HP monsters... :rant: For refference, my hydra spits out at 1.4k per bolt IIRC.

9. flosch

flosch IncGamers Member

I can only mostly agree with factotum, I mat'ed a FO/Hydra sorc myself in 1.10. Especially areas with many cold immunes are very slow-going. Thanks to Teleport, I was not in real danger most of the time, but the speed loss compared to FO'ing enemies is quite steep.
    On the other hand, I very much liked the scouting ability of Hydra, and I never liked Meteor, so I think it was a good choice for me. However, you have got two timered spells then: FO has a 1 second wait, Hydra 2 seconds. That could be a bit annoying, at least to me it was sometimes. Perhaps a fully synergized Fireball would do better?