Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hydra as a main attack: POSt your experiences!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Deathlok2001, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

Hydra as a main attack: POSt your experiences!

Ever use hydra as a main attack? Are these sor viable in 1.10 hell?

Perhaps if you supplement it with FO or blizz......

2. ender wiggin

ender wiggin IncGamers Member

I use it for meph runs. Its just very easy. Other stuff could probably take him down just as fast but I've always used hydra because they work fine for me. All u have to do is run around him and put one down every like 7 seconds. It is not something to use in crowds. I only meph with it. Also if your planning on doing pindle he's immune to fire alot.

3. moi

moi IncGamers Member

Very viable. Extra safe for HC. Not as powerful as some other builds.

4. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Hard working hydras

I've tried 2 pure hydra builds, and while they are great fun, they are not really viable in hell (or I just get fed up with them). I end up using fireball more just because of its speed.

1) Hydras are hard working but pretty dumb. They will spit again and again against the single fire immune guy while the rest of the monsters mob you. They will also repeated spit at walls because there's a monster behind it.

2) The cast delay and duration is a pretty big hinderance. In addition, the hydras thinks for a bit before starting to spit once they arrive. I think blizzard should have lowered the timer to 1 sec and upped the duration to 15, but cap the groups to 5 or something. If sins can throw 5 traps down quickly, no reason why hydras would be overpowered. On Baal runs the monsters are dead by the time the hydras get their bearings from me yanking them from their TV and comfy sofa on the planes of fire...

3) The pure meteor build synergies fireballs a lot better than hydras.

With all that said, I still love the hydras. Now, if they can spit different types (like necro mages), that would rock :D Blue hydra, green hydra, white hydra, red hydra...

5. xAnjelofLytex

xAnjelofLytex IncGamers Member

My fire sorc sucked. I got ***** by a barb using doombringer while my hydras spat lil hot loogies on him o_O.

~Anjel

6. bunghole

bunghole IncGamers Member

I too made a hydra sorc. Dmg was decent, but the spell timer is unbearable. I think blizz should power up hydras next patch to be more like traps, that would be cool

7. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

Wow, I wish I could argue with you, but you hit all the right points. I still enjoy my Hydra Sorcess though. She does work in Hell, but you gotta have the patience of a saint. There is no such thing a quick with Hydras.

Yes, they do shoot at walls. Yes they do continually shoot at the fire immune fools (I've tried slapping them around, but it hasn't worked yet). Usually, since I'm a dual element Sorceress, I'll drop the Hyrdas and then frozen Orb the fire immunes so the dumb Hydras can find the proper target. I tend to do a lot of moving around (lol)

Masa

8. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

These are all great points. I noticed that if you don't mind going one element then you can fully synergize both Hydra and Meteor (and fireball, firebolt). It costs 107 skill points including 1 in Static, Telekinesis, & Teleport. You can always use your merc as your 2nd form of damage.

FYI... the reason Hardcore players love it is that you can cast the Hydra on the edge of your screen and use it as a 'Gloam scanner.'

Good point with the Trapsins. Have you suggested it to blizzard? just wondering.