Hybrid cars

neophase

Banned
wise decision of going towards electric as you'll see the gas prices going 5 fold, 10 fold in this next decade I bet you, with the stance Bush has, and the middle-east, this is only the beginning.

I hear propane fueled vehicles are nice, or even diesel. Why get a car when you can get a work truck? Much better there for hauling stuff around, or a van even if you already have a big family. Hemp fueled vehicles? they have one on market yet?

let's get some URLs in this post people.... diagrams, stress-test, comparisons, etc.

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
neophase said:
wise decision of going towards electric as you'll see the gas prices going 5 fold, 10 fold in this next decade I bet you, with the stance Bush has, and the middle-east, this is only the beginning.

I hear propane fueled vehicles are nice, or even diesel. Why get a car when you can get a work truck? Much better there for hauling stuff around, or a van even if you already have a big family. Hemp fueled vehicles? they have one on market yet?

let's get some URLs in this post people.... diagrams, stress-test, comparisons, etc.
Since when are diesel prices low? Diesel was more expensive the premium gas here in my area.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Diesel..ppffttt..those prices are higher than regular gasoline.

I can scratch the Prius..its not available in manual and I refuse to drive an automatic.

According to my insurance company, Civics are considered sports cars so any possible savings I get would be eaten up by the higher premiums. I just got my quote back..and it would be $73.02/month. I am still awaiting the quote for a non-sports car price.

I really liked the idea of having an auto that is not solely dependent on gasoline. But, from my research, it doesn't seem to be a wise choice currently.

garublador

Diabloii.Net Member
There's a guy that I worked with who did a ton of comparison shopping for a small car (he had some maximum length he had to stay under) that got really good gas milege. He ended up with the Echo for the same reasons you want one, they get gas milege similar to a hybrid, are manual transmission and cost a lot less.

Raft Boy

Diabloii.Net Member
I just bought a hybrid last last year, so I can tell you what I think of it so far. It's a Civic, so take my advice for what it is, zodi. ;)

If you plan on driving a lot in the city or during rush hour, hybrids are great. The electric motor works a lot more during these types of start/stop situations, which helps the engine efficiency. I drive around the Twin Cities a lot, so with traffic being fairly bad around here (mainly because of construction), the mileage I'm getting is almost twice what I used to get.

For comparison's sake, my old Mazda Protege got about 20-30 mpg, depending on lots of factors, so for about 12 gallons of gas, I got around 240-300 miles/trip. With my Civic, it's up to about 45-48 mpg, and for 10 gallons of gas, that's 450-480 miles/trip. So I've shaved off at least one fill-up a week, and with gas prices around $2, that's $20/week (to keep the math simple). Over a year, that's $1040 of savings. That might not seem like much, but that's over 3 months of car payments. Or almost a year's worth of insurance for me. Or a few hundred dollars short of a monthly mortgage. That's also money to invest, if you're into that sort of thing. So it might not be huge, but it's what you do with it that matters.

So why wouldn't you want one? If you do a lot of highway driving, or plan on taking it for lots of long-distance trips. The mileage you get in this case is barely better than a standard car. I found that out when I made a trip to Appleton, WI a few months ago. It's about 300 miles from Minneapolis, so I figured I would fill-up near Minnesota on the way back. Nope, I had to fill up about an hour after I left Appleton. The mileage I got dropped from the usual 45 to about 35. The gas engine was used a lot more than the electric motor, so trips like that make it pointless to buy a hybrid.

Also, hybrids are priced a lot more versus the standard model. I know the Accord hybrid is about $3000-4000 more, and the Civic is about $3000. I got mine for only $1500 more because the dealer had to clear out room for the 2005 models. So the savings I mentioned earlier pretty much paid for the difference.

One other thing is that in the winter, the mileage drops off a bit, because the temperature of the battery pack is too cold for it to really kick in. Also, with the heat on, the gas engine works a bit more than usual. If I remember, you live in Ohio, so that's a consideration too.

All in all, I would buy one again, but that's because I drive what seems like an unholy amount of city miles for a non-salesperson. Also, one guy I work with recently bought a Honda Odyssey for his growing family, and they like it because they get close to the mileage of a standard car along with the roominess of a minivan.

Either way, good luck with the purchase. :)

Nastie_Bowie said:
Not to mention the depreciation.

Drive it off the dealer's lot and lose 15 grand.
Or you could do what every other Volvo owner in the world does and drive the car into the ground. If you take care of it you should get close to 200,000 miles out of the car. Mine is just about to hit 100,000 and is still going very strong--still a very nice car too. Peppy, gets good gas mileage (I get about 32-35 mpg on the highway), and a great car for winter weather. And you don't have to get it serviced at the dealership.

At any rate, if Volvo ever comes out with a hybrid, I'll reconsider driving my current one into the dust.

By the way, at least in Virginia (and I'm pretty sure its federal) you get tax breaks if you purchase a hybrid. You also, at least here, get free access to the HOV lanes even without more than one person in the car.

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
When i got my new car I went for the Corolla over the Echo for two reasons:
1. Corollas have historically been more reliable
2. the corolla was considerably bigger without being all that much more expensive.

Gas milage is comperable between the two cars.

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't really take to the prius when i test drove it. It seemed like they were making things different just so they would be different.

neophase

Banned
Raft Boy said:
I just bought a hybrid last last year, so I can tell you what I think of it so far. It's a Civic, so take my advice for what it is, zodi. ;)

Also, hybrids are priced a lot more versus the standard model. I know the Accord hybrid is about $3000-4000 more, and the Civic is about $3000. I got mine for only $1500 more because the dealer had to clear out room for the 2005 models. So the savings I mentioned earlier pretty much paid for the difference.

Either way, good luck with the purchase. :)
Electric cars for 2-5 grand? you're kidding me? that's WACKO!

I thought they'd be like 20-40k!!!
US Prices I presume.

So I guess diesel is more, but what about propane gas ran vehicles? or even cleaner, hemp oil, and coconut oils? I think you can get vehicles running on these oils/gasses can't you?

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
neophase said:
Electric cars for 2-5 grand? you're kidding me? that's WACKO!

I thought they'd be like 20-40k!!!
US Prices I presume.

So I guess diesel is more, but what about propane gas ran vehicles? or even cleaner, hemp oil, and coconut oils? I think you can get vehicles running on these oils/gasses can't you?
no, 2-5000 OVER the base model cost. so the basic civic is about 15000 or so, the hybrid would be closer to 20000

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
Raft Boy said:
What a coinky-dink. This was linked through the Star Tribune website.
When I hear 'hyrbid cars' I think of a normal car (gasoline powered) with a different motor in it, or a major part that is off of another car.

I'd rock the Civic Hybrid, or the Prius though.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, the Echo is not available. No dealership around me has any and can't get them..that sounds odd to me.

I have now begun looking at the Scion xA. The mileage is OK..its affordable, has 4 doors and a little bit of cargo room in the back.

Does anyone have one of those or know someone who does? I have read nothing but good things about them on sites, but they are fairly new and even being a Toyota, I wonder about reliability.