Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hunter skills?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by big_fatty, Feb 4, 2004.

1. big_fatty

big_fatty IncGamers Member

Hunter skills?

I've been playing on ladder enough now that I have some decent equipment so I want to try a little less powerful (but more unique) build. I like druids a lot so I'm going to try a hunter. I'm still trying to decide on skills. HoW seems like a must and I was going to max dire wolves. What about the rest of the points though? I was thinking of maxing fissure and volcano (synergies for each other) to provide some additional damage, and I could shoot arrows during the casting delays. Are there any other hunters out there or any one else with other suggestions? Thanks.

2. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

After poking around Beowulf did a similar build... He maxed Fissure and Volcano and did a minimal investment in a Spirit. I never got exact skills out of him... but I myself am following this distribution:

20 Volcano
    20 Fissure
    1 Molten Boulder
    1 Firestorm

20 Dire Wolves
    3 Grizzly
    10 Raven
    5 Heart of the Wolverine
    1 Poison Creeper
    1 Carrion Creeper

by lvl 75

Then the rest of the skills go into maxing the Grizzly then 4 into Raven and the rest into HoW

The meat sheilds hold the baddies still enough so that Fissure and Volcano do a TON of damage. If you poke around the forum you'll find a lot of complaints about volcano and how they can't hit jack... They either don't have enough meat sheilds or they don't know how to position the volcano. If you're wondering about your personal damage you can get max block and stack the crushing blow... or you can get a bunch of 'chance to cast Amp damage' equipment and a fast bow (or lacerator). If you're a damage junkie then switch the Grizzly and Dire wolf distribution and Max HoW before Dire wolves.

I was going to max HoW instead of putting so many points into Ravens, but people convinced me otherwise. The blind on the ravens really help your summons stay alive. At lvl 16 the Ravens have 100% chance to blind a monster your level or lower. So try to shoot for that with your equipment.

3. big_fatty

Thanks for the reply. I considered ravens but wasn't sure if they were ever effective or not. I'll probably still try to max HoW so I can contribute to the killing with my bow in addition to the elemental skills. I've got a goldstrike sitting around that I think will make a great bow for most of nightmare.

4. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Sounds you're looking at a Huntermentalist. There are tons of options for that, and most of them are based on personal preference.

However, if you wish to make a PURE Hunter, this is what you should do:

Str for equipment
    Huge on Dex
    Huge on Vit

20 Grizzly
    20 Dire Wolves
    20 Heart of Wolverine
    10-20 Ravens (level 16 with gear means 100% Chance to Blind same level Monster)

You can also invest in Oak Sage, Spirit Wolves, Carrion Vine, or Poison Creeper as you see fit. The latter is good for preventing monster healing, which is vital in Hell mode. Oak Sage can be alternated for HoW if you find your life lacking at times, but Carrion Vine can keep you alive while allowing you to keep HoW out. Spirit Wolves just help your Grizzly out a bit.

Getting a Holy Freeze merc is a big bonus to this build.

Good luck, whichever way you choose :)

5. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Thnx for the input Proudfoot

I never liked the name 'Huntermentalist' we definitely need to work on that (sounds like a name for the Hillbillie in "Deliverance").

FYI other ideas I have been toying with are to go max Molten boulder and Firestorm and go faster cast equipment or max HoW and Ravens and max Artic blast and dump the rest into cyclone armor.

Lastly, most people recommend Kuko or Demon Machine + razortail. I prefer Max Block and the rune word 'Black' (yes, I'm poor) I'm going to try and find a good tyrant club with skill bonuses to socket. If I die a lot then I'll go to an amp damage bow/xbow.

6. big_fatty

Remember both firestorm and molten boulder have casting delays so faster cast would be useless. I was considering arctic blast too for the slowing effect but the really low damage hurts.

7. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Here's my skills build.

Lvl 99
    20 Grizzly
    20 Dire Wolves
    20 Fissure
    20 Volcano
    11 Spirits
    1 Carrion
    1 Artic Blast
    1 Cyclone Armor

Lvl 80
    20 Grizzly
    20 Dire Wolves
    20 Fissure
    20 Volcano
    2 Spirits
    1 Carrion
    1 Artic Blast
    1 Cyclone Armor

Equipment:
    90 Str
    150 Vit
    +Dex

Witchwild (Ohm/Jah, Eth/Eth)

Mang Song's Lesson
    or
    Heart of the Oak / Earthshifter
    Lidless Wall

Circlet (+2 skills, hopefully visionary mod)
    Maras
    IAS Armor
    Lavagout
    Bul-Kathos
    Ravenfrost
    Razortail
    Waterwalks

4 Summoning charms
    2 Elemental charms
    6 resist charms

Total: +9/+14 summoning, +7/+12 elemental

Using Witchwild string for non-PIs for hunter fun. Using +skills gear for PIs and Act Bosses.

With all the +skills on weapon switch, you can cast ravens and get them to stick around for a decent duration without recasting and you get level 15 ravens (lvl 15 with ideal setup). Most of the equipment is pretty cheap save for bul-kathos and ideal weapon switch.

You also have both spirits at level 24 with ideal equipment, which is really nice. You can pull out oak sage when you just need tanks for your spells (PIs/Act Bosses), and use Heart of the Wolverine when you need them to deal more damage.

Kind of an optimal build, but you can do this build with less than optimal equipment without too much trouble.

8. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Max Block with a Bow? I'm confused...

If you want the freeze effect, either get a Holy Freeze merc, or 1 in Hurricane and 20 Cyclone Armor or something, in my opinion.