Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hunter-ish Build ?'s

Discussion in 'Druid' started by cyid, Feb 12, 2004.

1. cyid

cyid IncGamers Member

Hunter-ish Build ?'s

I am building a "hunter" druid.. well.. i am going all summoning as of right now.. but it seems like it takes me forever to kill stuff..

I plan on max'ing HoW and either getting a Holy Freeze merc or a Might Merc (to increase the dmg output) and I plan on max'ing grizzly (atleast for the + to dmg)

I have 10 in each wolf and only 1 in everything else. And only 1 in grizzly right now since I just got to 30. Any suggestions? Should I use my wolves over my bear (since it seems I can only use one type of summon at one time)? or maybe should I max something on my elemental tree? (or two)

Also, I am poor. Just an FYI :p

2. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I prefer to add volcano from the elemental tree to have a huntermentalist and then over time add points into its synergies. Maxed dire and bear are great maxed spirit is not really needed.

3. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Definitely more points in Grizzly, it will kill a lot faster.

You can go Huntermentalist, or maybe you just need a better bow :) What are you using right now?

Good luck!

4. Sim.The.GoSu

Sim.The.GoSu IncGamers Member

I'd go with the HF merc, because the bow dmg is mostly going to be ele dmg(if you going ele tree). Also HF can help you more than dmg because it's better to kill slower and have the time to run if too many monsters than to kill one guy fast but die because of swarm.

Summoning tree would be a bit more complex but of course, is still very viable if strategicaly played.

GL HF
    -sim

5. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

Max Bear, Max wolves, put several into Spirit
    max HoWolverine
    get a might merc with good leech

choice in vines, i went poison creeper, he's cool maxed.

use a switch for casting summons, lidless/+2 stick (or lidless heart of oak)
    gear, +3 summons ammy, a few +summon GC's (cheap, trust me)
    hat, could make a delirium if wealthy and lucky, but anything +2 all would work well.

your guys with HoW, loads of +skills and might merc will crush stuff fast. I suggest Kuko with fire charms.

Above is what I did, and worked well. just started non ladder hell, put him off for a little while, will pick up again. Bow really just adds to the damage, bear or wolves and merc do well on their own.

with HoW, every +summon skill gives Ed% and AR%. so a +3 ammy is doing a lot for the furry guys, but also a lot for your bow.

I highlysuggest nothing in volcano, its not worth the split in skill tree I feel. just one skill tree is mighty fun and effective.

how do I kill pi? well, kuko with fire charms and lightning charms could do, however, I havent found a PI yet actually shrugs.

6. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

This will work for the spirits, but you can't prebuff grizzly or wolves (if you remove the +skills, your grizzly and wolves lose the benefit).

This won't cut it in hell unless you have godly fire charms (very few people do). You'll need to rely on others for PIs, or you'll need to invest in elemental skills, or skip them. You'll see PI on bosses and bosses are important to kill since they give great exp now. They regen fast and they have high HPs - all reasons why you can't rely on weak elemental damage.

I suggest 20 in wolves, grizzly, fissure and volcano. Put the rest of your points in the spirit you use most.

I tend to use Heart of the Wolverine against anything that doesn't pierce - gloams, slingers, serpent magi - these guys have low HP and you should be able to take em out without the extra damage from heart of the wolverine.

Fissure/Volcano can be cast while you shoot off arrows and can really help increase your damage output. Most monsters in hell have some sort of physical resistance, so you'll notice a drop in your physical damage - this is where the elements help.

7. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

yeah my charms are insanely good.

8. cyid

cyid IncGamers Member

thanks for all the replies.

I was thinking of max'ing fissure first and throwing a point into valcano. fissure just seems to do a ton more dmg then valcano.

Think i should max bear first before anything else? He seems like a brute in act5 normal with 1 point (not including my +skill items.. i think i only have +2) or should I maybe switch off between him and fissure?

as for a bow, i dont have a good bow yet, so i been using hellsplague, the +2 to fire skills sword and been meleeing with that (it does good dmg at my level). any suggestions on what i should look for in a bow or maybe a bow name i should look for (whole names pls, i dont know all the items yet since i just started playing again)

i decided to go with a holy freeze merc for sure, since i cant have both wolves and bear up, it will help with the swarming. thanks for the advice on that.

9. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Witchwild string is the perfect eng-game bow. Its the unique short siege bow. Definately upgrade it and add some ED to it. Aim for 75% or higher IAS (60% IAS armor works here) so you can get an 8-frame attack (very fast).

Yes, maxing fissure first is the best way to go. You shouldn't have too much trouble taking down large HP bosses since your summons (wolves or grizzly) will only have one monster to concentrate on. Fissure will take out hoards of little monsters - something hunter builds will have a hard time with.

10. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

ahh fissure, something that I applaud. little used in combo builds, but has the great effect like poison creeper does (although not as sexy in the slightest)

BTW: Prebuffing works fine!! try prebuffing an oak sage, then switching, youll have the same hps.

your furry guys behave the same.

11. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Like I said, spirits can be prebuffed. Furry friends cannot. This was tested in 1.10. With 1 point in grizzly, put on a bunch of +summoning equipment, cast a bear, and then take all of it off and go out and see how your bear does - he won't be able to do much of anything, it'll be as if you had only a 1 pt grizzly.

The same thing goes with necro skeletons - can't be prebuffed.

I know you could prebuff necro skeletons in 1.09, but I'm unsure about the furries. I believe this was also tested in 1.09 and was found not to be the case.

This has been posted several times in these Druid forums. Do a search for prebuff and summoning and grizzly - you should be able to find it somewhere.

I can't remember who tested it, however.

12. cyid

cyid IncGamers Member

think i should max fissure asap or maybe grizz first or maybe work on both evenly? I got lucky and found a unique bow called koku, does lots of damage. so that kinda fixed my bow problems.. of course i have a +2 to druid skills club and sigons shield, so i summon with those and switch to koku if i think i am killing too slowly

13. darkalexei

darkalexei IncGamers Member

The problem with a bow like kuko or widowmaker is that you cant REALLY inflict damage in Hell. I am playing as a hunter druid right now, and lemme say, with my Buriza, I cut thru crowds. I really suggest a buriza. the problem with a hunter is that untill level 30, you actually dont kill anything, due to the lack of a good bow and attack skill. At 32, equip a langer briser - arbalets, you will do high dmg. At 40, with 10 points in grizzly, you will be going well, till hell mode.

14. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

There is nothing wrong with kuko, I have been using one for a long long time and it serves me well even in hell. It is especially good against large crowds. When no crowds are around I prefer to use a silence crusador bow.

15. Atompilz

Atompilz IncGamers Member

How's a WF for this build? I've got one but since bowazons blow so much I'm not real eager to make one.

Thanks.

16. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

if you use an Enigma id go for it, the str req is rather high.

that sux about prebuffing furies buy the way. really blows

17. Dreamsmith

Dreamsmith IncGamers Member

Bah. As another poster said, Kuko works fine in Hell. You will need a good set of additional fire damage sources, but they aren't that hard to come by, and as for charms, you can make up for quality with quantity, but it really shouldn't prove necessary. Just make sure they're fire damage charms, as you get double benefit from them (adds to the hit damage, plus adds to the splash damage -- on the target you actually hit, you get double the listed additional damage), a lightning damage charm would only be half as effective. Get some IAS gear too. Between IAS gear and added fire damage, you should be able to dish out significant fire damage per second. Considering the casting delays on fire damage spells, their general lack of aimability, and the hit you'll take to your summoning skills, I'd definately recommend against going to the other skill tree for your fire damage. You're much better sticking to pure summoner, adding fire damage and attack speed, and you can always get some Amp Damage gear as well (Atma's, or Lacerator on weapon switch, for example), so that your summons can damage PI's...

Kuko + Razortail = hordes of little monsters are extremely easy to deal with.