Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hunter Druid Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Moar, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

Hunter Druid Questions

Hi All

I have started a Hunter/Summoner Druid yesterday and have a few questions.

1.) Which bow should I use? I was thinking of WWS. If that is a good choice, what should go into the sockets?

2.) Which armour would be the best choice? This is directly related to question #3.

3.) How much Dex will I need to hit at all/a bit more frequent/nearly always? I'll go with the HoW spirit. My concern is that I simply don't have enough stat points for a good armour (Arkain's?), dex and enough vit to survive. There won't be any Oak Sage around to help out.

I converted to RWM recently, but don't have a lot of RWM runes yet, so I don't think I can make any high RWs.

Your help is very much appreciated. :smiley:

2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

1.) Windforce -> Uber Rare Hydra -> Goldstrike Arch/WWS [WWS is favored by many, but I'm a fan of high damage output]
    2.) Chains of Honour -> Fortitude -> Treachery -> ?
    3.) 200-300 Dex? Charms? Metalgrid? Angelic Combo? Demon Limb?

I have one of these on the drawing board, but I'm still missing WF and another Sur for CoH :badteeth:

Edit: Got the calculations clarified, the grizzly will "only" reach 6k dmg.

3. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

A good starter bow is the RW Edge.

Edge
    3 Socket Missile Weapons
    Tir + Tal + Amn
    Level 15 Thorns Aura When Equipped
    +35% Increased Attack Speed
    +320-380% Damage To Demons (varies)
    +280% Damage To Undead
    +75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +5-10 To All Attributes (varies)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    Reduces All Vendor Prices 15%!!!

Nice mods for 3 common runes and it rocks against Bosses - ED to Demons + cheaper gambling is never a bad thing!

WWS is a lvl 39 Bow IIRC, so Edge should last you til you can equip it.

I don't know the break points for druids so don't know if you should shael the WWS or not bother.

Clegaws are the best gloves to use when you start.

I'll leave the rest for others better qualified to comment.

DM

Edit

@ Corrupted: You can "up" the WWS to a Diamond Bow when you hit 60 or so, with the ED and the chance to cast Amp (200% more damage) AND the deadly strike (% based on chararcter) the WWS is a damn good weapon when upped.

4. Corrupted

I'm aware of that, it doesn't change anything though even less if you use Highlord's Wrath.

5. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I've never played a Hunter Druid but I imagine using a Bow with ITD will be your best bet, then you only have to worry about hitting Bosses. A Widowmaker or Eaglehorn could be very nice bows, they don't have the damage of Windforce but you will probably hit much more often.

6. Day

Day IncGamers Member

With the Hunter/druid you need to be able to handle physical immunes - the WWS bow is excellent for that and I would use it and I'd up it if you have the runes.

Alternative is something like Atma necklace etc/or Glimmersheds and Tiamuts on switch .

Break points for WWS are:

Druid
    Short Siege Bow
    Standard
    IAS Frames Attacks/sec
    0 % 15 1.6
    9 % 14 1.7
    18 % 13 1.9
    30 % 12 2
    48 % 11 2.2
    75 % 10 2.5
    125 % 9 2.7

As to sockets shaels to meet your desired breakpoint taking into account your other gear (or maybe IAS/damage jewels if you are rich) - if you can have a spare and no source of knockback a Nef.

However, crafting 20 IAS/Knockback gloves is not too difficult.

7. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Sorry double post

8. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Hmmm, I've had at least 25-30 tries at crafting gloves with those stats, still hasn't happened yet....

9. Day

Day IncGamers Member

I did it twice in around 7 goes - first time I used elite gloves and ended up with a stupid level requirement (got it first time) - then used exceptional gloves and got it 6 or so time - used a high level Necro - worth checking the character is the correct level to maximise your chance.

10. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I think you got lucky, I've had other people say that it isn't easy either. I was using a lvl 80 ish character to make sure I got 4 mods each time. I ended up giving up as I didn't like the character that needed them anymore...

Edit: Just noticed typo

11. Corrupted

I prefer Reaper's Toll as it's much too rare the Amp procs with the druid's attack-speed.
    I dislike knockback as the bear already smites the opponent. Bear+merc is sufficient tanking and the knockback will only mean that they have to run for their target thus making their effective damage-output lower.

12. Oblivious

Oblivious IncGamers Member

What about a Harmony Blade Bow ? It is relatively cheap ( highest rune is Ko ) plus you will be doing nice elemental damage at a high pace ( 165-480 elemental damage per hit ) which isn't bad. Not to mention the Vigor aura and the Valk ( can anyone comment on its usefulness ? ). You even have Revive charges in case you need more damage output or crowd control. Plus the damage is really good ( 200-275 % ED ). I really think it is a nice option.

-Oblivious-

13. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

For AR my hunter had to finally revert to angelic setup.
    Treachery is nice also for helping speed up slower bows. And of course for any non zon bow build razor tail is nice.
    I would use one of three bows
    Windforce: major damage knockback lots of damage
    Kuko Shakaku: exploding arrows=splash damage with pierce attack included, plus splash damage is upped with any other sources of fire damage
    Widow Maker: wich fixes all need for AR plus 33% deadly strike
    My hunter uses the kuko to good affect but I can see the healthy affect that windforce would have.

14. Dark Matter

Oblivious:

Harmony has +3-6 to Valk (I Believe), are you getting confusted with the the 'zon Armour "Peace" with has a c2c a level 15 Valk on Striking?

If so, that can be useful, but the other mods for Peace my not be good for a Hunter.

4% Chance To Cast Level 5 Slow Missiles When Struck
    2% Chance To Cast level 15 Valkyrie On Striking
    +2 To Amazon Skill Levels
    +20% Faster Hit Recovery
    +2 To Critical Strike
    Cold Resist +30%
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14

DM

15. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

The Valk bonus on "Harmony" is an "oskill" so anyone can use it... makes it even better than Peace, if you're after an extra minion.

16. Dark Matter

OO

Thanks Skunk - didn't know that.

DM

17. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

Thanks for all the input. The three options I saw myself were all mentioned. WF, Harmony and WWS and still no real consensus. :smiley:

WF has high requirements and no possibility to deal with PIs which is a problem that can be solved with The Reaper's Toll. The problem is that I will encounter PIs much earlier than at lvl 75. I could use Atma's from lvl 60 on, but if I don't use WWS, I need resists in that slot.

How effective is the elemental damage from Harmony? It seems quite low to me. (And while we are there, what bow to make it in?)

Could I get some more input on what Armour to use? That choice directly interacts with the weapon question. If I use a high strength Armour, I could as well use the WF, right? On the other hand if I go with a low strength one, the WWS seems to be more economic.

I also need to get resists from somewhere. Vipermagi + WWS + Maras would help out a great deal there.

There really doesn't seem to be an easy choice. :rolleyes:

18. Sir Dante

Sir Dante IncGamers Member

WWS with Shael Shael. Much needed resists, Cast Amplify Damage, 75% plus Deadly Strike in Hell, Converts damage to Magical. This bow is good enough to kill everything in the game. Needs to be upped.

Treachery Wire Fleece. Great Increased Attack Speed. Much needed Resists when Fade Triggers. In Hell just run out to the Blood Moor and kill all but one fallen. Let it wack at you until fade triggers. This is an easy way for you to constantly keep Fade up. This can be done anywhere with a little weak monster. Good Poison Damage.

2 Angelic Rings with the Amulet. Adds a much needed 115 life. Will add about 4000 attack rate with your HOW at high levels.

Razortail Belt for pierce with Rare gloves with 20% Increased attack speed.

A Good rare or Magical Summon Helm, two sockets a must or use Jals. Put two 15% Increased attack speed jewels in the Helm.

75 points into strength.
    200 Into Dex
    175 Into Vitality.

Final setup gives you 3 damage sources. Poison, magical, and Physical. Final setup gives you max attack speed. Gives about a hundred resists with Fade triggered. Gives about 7000 attack rate. Gives about 600 life.

Charms should be used to max your resists and get you near a thousand life.

This is a very cheap setup in softcore and provides all you need to beat Hell difficulty.

19. Oblivious

Oblivious IncGamers Member

I'd say a Blade Bow for the inherent -10 speed. If you need, I can provide 4os one.

20. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

Great advice! Just need to find a Wirefleece. Of course, one dropped during a run 2 days ago and I didn't pick it up. Typical? :rolleyes:
    I had hoped to avoid the Angelic combo though, but I guess you are correct and it's a must.

Never thought about Treachery before and just looked it up. That is indeed a nice one. And cheap!

I think I'll try out Harmony with another class, which can make good use of the extra minion. The Druid doesn't really need it.

Hunter is currently hanging out somewhere in the Kurast Jungles in normal and I better get back to him. The wolves are having a field day out with all the small critters for dinner. :cool: