Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hunter advice?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Ezuku, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Ezuku

Ezuku IncGamers Member

Hunter advice?

Well, one night I was late up and I thought "apart from the necromancer's skeletons (which look stupid), I wonder if there's any other summons that I can use as an effective killer". So I tried a maxed valk (suprise suprise, it didn't work), a maxed shadow master (didn't work too well, it was amazingly cool though), and finally maxed druid summons. Immagine my suprise when they worked... until this point I've only played as solo druid characters (perhaps using spirit wolves or something as tanks that absorb 1 shot).

Well, I went to the druid forums, had abit of a look around, and discovered that hunters (so they were called, abit of a silly name imho) are actually not too bad.

So anyway, enough on the backstory, I kinda need to ask a few questions.

1), I was thinking of having ONLY dexterity to up my bow damage (oh, and enough strength to use my gear). Is this viable?... should I go vitality heavy instead?

2) What bow is good?.. I mean, everyone's saying Kuko or witchwild (by the looks of it), but what about goldstrike? Will the fist of heaves on strike heal my minions?

3) Is spirit wolves worth maxing?.. for the defense bonus?... they seem to die fairly fast

4) Is poison vine any good?... I mean maxed? If I don't use it, what vine *SHOULD* I use?... or shouldn't I use one at all because it destroys corpses my dire wolves could probably use anyway

5) How many points is ideal in ravens?

6) What kind of merc should I use?... I mean, might is good (obviously), but considering how fast minions appear to die, would thorns be better?... I mean, if a monster hits my minion for 200 damage, that gets reflected back at 2000 damage.... is it still any good though?... would holy freeze be better (for surviablity) or are my minions good enoough tanks as it is?

Oh, and btw, I'm dirt poor right now, so I'm not capable of affording any expensive items like shako, enigma, etc, :p

Oh, and lastly, reaper toll is still worth a fortune, right?

2. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

1) I'd do a mix. You'll need some Vitality to stay alive, especially without a shield. Your meat shield minions will help, and if you have Oak Sage that will help as well, but some Vit will help a lot.

2) Goldstrike will probably do pretty well. Not sure on the FoH, but it could work.

3) I wouldn't max it, unless you have spare points, which you might. Oak Sage will help your minions live.

4) It isn't worth maxing, IMO. Again, if you have spare points, go for it if you want. Poison Creeper doesn't use corpses, though.

5) Level 16 with +skills gets them 100% chance to blind monsters of equal level to your own.

6) Depends where you play, and how you play, and which minions you have out. Grizzly will benefit lots from Might and Holy Freeze, while Dire Wolves might do better with Thorns. Personally, though, I'd go with either Holy Freeze or Might, depending on which sage you use. HoW + HF, or Might + Oak would be my inclination.

Good luck!

3. Green_Squirrel

Green_Squirrel IncGamers Member

These are my opinions.
    ------------------
    1) You might pull it off if you play cautiously, even better if you use Oak. Might be better to get both.
    ------------------
    2) Here's some of my choices:
    • Goldstrike: Not sure if FoH's Holy Bolts can heal, even so, it wouldn't be consistent enough to effectively heal your minions. Good damage, upgradable, pretty cheap.
    • Eaglehorn: ITD and efficient damage. Rather difficult to afford.
    • Kuko: Nice for the pierce and Immolation. Upgradable. Cheap to trade.
    • Witchwild: Awesome mods, DS, chance to Amplify, resists, sockets. Upgradable. Cheap and effective.
    • Hellrack: Nice elemental damage, IAS, sockets, AR bonus. Shouldn't be too expensive.
    • Buriza: Awesome pierce and damage, along with IAS. Upgradable and cheap. I'd recommend this one.
    Note: Exceptional -> Elite can only be done on Ladder.
    ------------------
    3) Spirit Wolves could be a useful investment. A Grizzly without Spirit wolves' passive would have 196 DEF and 300 AR. With level 20 Spirit Wolves it would have 1875 AR and 666 defense. But the excellent feature of Druid Summons is their passives go beyond level 20.

Level 20 Dire Wolves have 276 defense and 462 AR without Spirit Wolves, and 938 defense and 2887 AR with level 20 Spirit Wolves.

These points could be spent elsewhere. Some max it, some don't.
    ------------------
    4) Poison Creeper is not worth more than one point for a Summoner.
    ------------------
    5) My opinion is to let the + skills raise Ravens, one point is good enough.
    ------------------
    6) HF or Might merc is, IMO, the best merc choices. Grizzly can survive pretty well, and I don't think Thorns wouldn't be worth it unless you dedicate your build to damage return.
    ------------------
    A plain low ED Reaper's Toll shouldn't be too expensive. In fact, depending on your realm, you could possibly get it for pgems.

4. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

I am not sure as to why someone would use a buriza? does it actually shoot fast enough being an xbow class?

i guess it might. shrugs. pierce on it though is nothing at all like the pierce on a kuko, it cannot carry and explosive blast, so therefore, it does not at all fit into the category of kuko and its pierce and explosive arrows. I am not at all saying that it isnt good to use, nope im not, just wont do piercing/fireblast effect.

i think with summons build that he is proposing, he should put 5 points or so into ravens. with his crappy gear, he wont be rolling with a high +summons number. If i was him i would go trade for 1-2 summons gear and go find a decent 2 socketed Druid hat with hopefully something like Grizzly or Dire wolves on it and Ort Sol it for cheap and effective Lore.

dude needs a +2 druid ammy or +3 summons ammy, that shouldnt be pricey.

poison creeper might be GOOD for him. he probably wont have room for a couple of 100 pdsc's and i bet he doesnt even have any. if you do the math, 4 50 pdsc's will not be better than a maxed poison creeper, plus, he can pre-buff poison creeper. the creeper mass poisons whole boards for him, doing the job right for dirt cheap. yes, its not like using 4 290 pdsc's, but it sure is better than doing no poison damage, which a poor ladder player will most likely be doing. If i was dirt poor also I would invest into Heart of the Wolverine. it will increase the damage on whatever bow you pick up and not be charm dependent like Osage and Kuko/fire build (one im doing)

creeper acts to distract monsters who cannot normally kill it, thats always good. they tend to go for him first I noticed. If i was him id use dire wolves and a might merc and HoWolverine to exploit compound all the max damages on top of one another.

5. Dementor

Dementor Banned

1), A few points in vitality are always good, but you're right in that you won't be needing much health. Go ahead and pump the dex, I say; you're AR will need it. Even with dex pumped, you'll have trouble hitting things; I advise maxing HoW for the AR and Damage boost.

2) Witchwild will always have a place in my heart.

3) Don't max spirit wolves, but a few points wont kill you either. 5 points to use before you get dire wolves is fine.

4) Put one point into each vine, and use as needed. These are auxillary skills.

5) Useful, the ravens, especially because ranged attacks (physical ranged attacks specifically) are your main weakness, and the ravens will blind your enemies. However, 1 point with your +skill equipment is sufficient.

6) Your weaknesses are phys immune monsters, and the fact that you have issues with AR. A fire Act 1 Rogue fills this gap fairly well, since she deals good fire damage (a %of her physical attack is converted) and will cast inner sight, amking monsters easier for you to hit.

6. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

hey, nice suggestion on the act1 fire merc :) impressed, yes inner sight allows for easier hitting, and its improved nowadays. increasing your AR% is not as good as decreasing enemy armour values. so maybe it actually is better than I have considered.
    at level 80 a act1 from normal fire arrow girl does 47% damage to fire conversion (thats nuts on a heavy bow). and does -1015 defense on her inner site.

thats a lot vs a normal monster. intriguing...