Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hungy Hungry Hippo...err...I Mean Bear

Discussion in 'Druid' started by shaf, Mar 21, 2004.

1. shaf

shaf IncGamers Member

Hungy Hungry Hippo...err...I Mean Bear

Hey All,

Some of you might remember me from a while ago, but most of you probably don't. I've started playing D2 again after a long break and I had a couple questions.

I'm currently making a PvM werebear who uses hunger as a primary attack. His skills are/will be:

20 WB
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Hunger (currently at 13)
    20 HoW (currently at 17)
    1 Shockwave
    All the Pre requisites obviously

The idea is to get damage as high as possible so that I can still kill stuff with the 75% damage penalty from hunger. He's currently using a Windhammer and some pretty budget gear, but he can handle everything in NM fairly easily. To increase the damage I also have a might merc.

My question is that when he's level 75 all the skills will be maxed and I'll have a bunch of skill points to distribute. At first I thought that I'd pump fire claws and get a stone armor to have a little elemental damage, but then I decided I'll probably try to get an IK maul(2 shaels and some OIAS and I think it will be a 4 frame hunger :D ) and some other pieces from that set, so that should take care of PI's. I've also thought about putting some points in cyclone armor or getting a grizzly summon, but can't really decide. Putting points into maul isn't something I'm really considering since I'd really like to try and use hunger as my only attack. So, if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Well if Hunger is your only personal attack, I'd definitely go for minions. You'll need the damage.

Oh, and HI!!!!!!!!!!! :wave: :clap: :D

3. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Shaf! You're like my bear equal and I lub you!

Anyways, uh, prebuff with some shapeshifting charms for a higher level WB? Heh, the build you have actually looks pretty solid, the IK set is always a good idea.

Maybe get the vines? If you use grizzly, pump dire wolves so he's just a tank and not a main killer. Cyclone armor is always a good defensive skill, but you're not always going to want to be deshifting, recasting, reshifting...

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

4. shaf

shaf IncGamers Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. I prebuff a little bit, but since I just started playing and am dirt poor I don't have any charms or very much +skill gear. And, I don't think a hungry bear would make an uber MFer so It might be a while before I can amass some wealth of any sorts.

How durable are minions in hell though. I don't think I'll be able to max any more skills and I don't have oak sage so I wouldn't think that they'd have much life. Of all the options though I guess it would probably be the best.

5. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Yeah they won't survive without decent investment into Dire Wolves, but I think they should live fairly long... Especially with Shockwave.

Poison Creeper might help more than Carrion Vine, because of the mad Hunger leeching...

6. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

Hunger drops off at the later levels, well before it even reaches 20 your per point bonuses aren't really worth the investment. So I prefer to use Shapeshifts for any Hunger based build and then get a good Maul to Charge. It sort of defeats the purpose of a Hunger build, but it gives you the best returns really. Then again FC really defeats the purpose of a single attack base too, so the best for you would probably be a high level Grizzly. Damage really is the only thing that matters for him since you can recast since you should always have Mana from Hunger. And if you use Shapeshifts it really boosts your Shockwave to the point of everything standing still while you take a nap.

7. shaf

shaf IncGamers Member

Ya I think I'll go with a grizzly.

I know that adding points to hunger after level 10 or so doesn't give you much return, but I figure since it's a hunger build I gotta max the skill, or else I'd just be a big fat poser :)

8. Green_Squirrel

Green_Squirrel IncGamers Member

Heya Shaf! Nice to see you back. :howdy:

9. shaf

shaf IncGamers Member

Hey Green,

how's it going? You still playing? Ladder?

What's your account name? I wouldn't mind playing with some friendly people once in a while

10. Green_Squirrel

Green_Squirrel IncGamers Member

Yup I'm still playin'.

*Green_Man on ladder.

11. jumbo_SHRIMP

jumbo_SHRIMP IncGamers Member

i dont see maul listed in your skills...maul adds damage i think...just get a green ball going, then hunger most of the time and just maul to keep the charge up...id also recommend some way to cast amp damage on your gear...to help with pis

phelix

12. shaf

shaf IncGamers Member

Ya I thought about doing this, but since I wanted it to be a hunger build I thought it would be cheating if I used maul. I realize that it would be a lot more effective to use maul and then hunger, but really I'm building a hungry druid here, I don't expect it to be the most effecient killer.