Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hunger: Azurewrath vs Stormlash

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Jary, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

Hunger: Azurewrath vs Stormlash

Many people have approved using Azurewrath as the ideal Hunger weapon, so I thought I'd see what everyone else thought. In my opinion though, it just seemed like one of those items that looks good on paper:

Stormlash: "6-Frame Hunger"
    One-Hand Damage: (10-12) To (272-320) (141-166 Avg)
    +50% Damage To Undead
    Adds 1-473 Lightning Damage
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    +33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    20% Chance To Cast Level 18 Tornado On Striking
    15% Chance To Cast Level 10 Static Field On Striking
    +3-9 Lightning Absorb (varies)
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 30

Azurewrath "5-Frame Hunger"
    One-Hand Damage: (102-114) To (115-129) (108.5-121.5 Avg)
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    Adds 250-500 Magic Damage
    Adds 250-500 Cold Damage, 10 sec. Duration (Normal)
    +1 To All Skills
    +5-10 To All Attributes (varies)
    Level 10-13 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped (varies)
    Indestructible
    +3 To Light Radius

The Facts:
    All right, for starts, lets just weed out the bs.
    -lil' elemental+magic damage is sorbed and neglibible in hell-for both weaps.
    -+skillz are of minor importance in this build
    -Stormlash-->slower, but higher avg damage
    -Azurewrath-->faster, lower avg damage
    -Azurewrath-->no crushing blow
    -Stormlash-->mucho crushing blow + Static Shock ^^

diagnosis: imo, in a build where u need all the mods and damage u can get, stormlash packs more punch with both cb and shock. Sanctuary is helpful with leeching and has its uses, but this build just needs all the damage it can get and I don't think elemental/magic damage is the way to go....maybe in nm u'll pwn where its not so sorbed, but not hell. Unless someone can really prove to me that Azurewrath was phenomenal in hell?

2. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

I don't think the elemental damage from Azure is pointless, it seems to help quite a bit, even in Hell. I think a shaeled Storm is better though against bosses because of Static. For mobs, use Azure for faster attacks, but switch to Storm for larger enemies???

3. TurfTalker

TurfTalker IncGamers Member

You couldn't be more wrong:grin:

Let's start from the top of your "facts" list.

Elemental + magic dmg are your key sources of dmg for this build. -75% dmg from hunger only negates physical dmg, and as everyone knows, magic dmg cannot be absorbed like other elements can, only uniques who have "immune to magic" suffix can deal with this.

Because of the -75% to phys dmg, your primary concern as far as wep speed/dmg is the speed. Whether stormlash does 10, 50, or 100 more dmg you still must subtract the 75% penalty.

'Ber' your Azurwrath for cb. You should be getting plenty of cb elsewhere, easily reaching 75%+ cb.

+5-10 attributes, very nice imo. +1 skills, will allow for a more diverse build, allow u to invest a few points into summons or cyclone armor. This also will boost your oak sage and who doesn't want more life?

Anyway, this is just my 2cent from much exp with this build. Gl with your hunger druid!
    oh, and on a side note, I see many people swearing by bear form for this build. Bear form adds + dmg and def. The +dmg is completely useless imo. Why would you want +dmg when it's going to be negated by a 75% penalty? Wolf form provides speed and ar, allowing you to overall, leech more life! Which is the whole basis of this build:azn:

The choice is yours my friend.

4. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

1 )Okay, lets think about this.... it's -75% DAMAGE, not weapon damage, so by charging up 400% damage with bear as aposed to wolf your hunger damage/leeching will go up x4 also! So wolfs will suck with hunger as apposed to bear, its such a waste when they have feral/Fury, which works ten times better

2) stormlash also adds some elemental too remember. I realize magic doesn't count, but 250-500 magic damage reaaaally isn't that much. my necro does 2.2k bonespears and just puts small dents into venom lords in hell, what's 250-500 each hit gonna do? I guarantee the damage from static probably does more in the end than the +xtra from azurewrath, and to all adjacent enemies too.

3) Ber'ing Azurewrath will drop its speed edge, plus its still less cb than stormlash, plus still doesn't give static, plus it has less range than stormlash.
    I mean, yayyy... it adds a few attibutes for giggles and +1skill, so your hunger will go up like 2% and life goes up by 5% :thumbsup: I'd say stormlash wins for both bosses and crowd control. It seems like good damage for Owning carvers in hell, but I'm thinking running chaos or minions etc, and its like talking pennys for damage.

5. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Use neather greif phase blades + hunger give you immue to iron maiden. Nothing else is better.

6. Valvolux

Valvolux IncGamers Member

I know SSoG is a crazy Hunger bear fan and has great things to say about them, but I was pretty disappointed when I made one. Mine used Azurewrath with around 70 CB and the killing speed was slow, I only played him till lvl 85, so that could be a factor.

Oh places with lots of un-leechable monsters made it a pain as well. IMO a Mauler with life-tap is a far better build. But if you're having fun with it, go for it.