Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hulk’s PvP Smiter Guide

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by hulk2004uk, Feb 17, 2004.

1. hulk2004uk

hulk2004uk IncGamers Member

Hulk’s PvP Smiter Guide

any feedback and comments are welcome. This is just the first version of the guide I will be updating it using your comments and when I have more time (probably will be tomorrow I will re-write it)

Hulk’s PvP Smiter Guide:

What is a smiter? A smiter is a paladin that uses smite as his main attack, smites damage is boosted by, smite, holy shield and his aura (fana/con).

What so special about smite? Smite stuns enemies for a period of time, it knocks they back and is also un-block able. It ignores target defence meaning that you can still hit uber barbs with uber defence with out sinking loads of points into dex. (Note: “ignore target defence†does NOT mean that you will always hit a monster you can still miss them if you are at a too low level)

What works with smite?
    The following thing DO work with smite:
    Crushing Blow
    Weapon range
    Weapon speed
    Life Tap
    Freezes Target
    Hit Blinds Target
    Slow target
    % Chance to cast
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Open Wounds

What does not work with smite?
    The following thing do NOT work with smite:
    Life Leech
    Mana Leach
    Deadly Strike
    Elemental damage from equipment or charms
    Elemental damage from auras, for example holy shock.
    Enhanced Damage from gear or on the shield

What’s the fastest attack speed with smite? The fastest attack speed with smite is 4.1 attacks per seconds

Stat Point Allocation

Str: as much as is needed for gear (take into account +str items)
    Dex: as much as is needed for max blocking with holy shield
    Vit: everything else
    Nrg: none

Skill Points

- 20 smite
    - 20 holy shield
    - 20 fana/conc
    - 20 defiance

Equipment

please note that this is just a guide and may/will want to use other items.

Weapon

Your goal here is to have weapon that is fast and includes nice mods such as IAS, crushing blow and open wounds etc.

Beast [Ber-Tir-um-mal-lum] – This gives you a Level 9 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped meaning that you should max out conc instead of fana; it also gives you, 20% crushing blow and 25% open wounds. Beast also gives you +40 to strength this freeing up more stat points for vita. I suggest making it out of a Caduceus with +paladin skills. With a level 9 fanaticism Aura you only need 6 more IAS to reach max.

Black [thul-Io-Nef] – this is a great smiter weapon I suggest putting it in a flail or something like that since they are fast. This gives you 40% crushing blow and 40ias along with some extra life. This weapon is cheap and you can get most of the runes free.

Doom [Hel-Ohm-Um-Lo-Cham] – the main this that appeals to me is the “level 12 holy freeze aura when equipped†mod this will slow down other players letting you hit them a lot more. Other useful mods are; +2 all skills (this will boost your smite damage a fare bit), 45 IAS and 25% chance of open wounds. Doom also has 20% deadly strike but this is useless as it does not work with smite.

Armour

Your goal here is to have weapon with good resistances and/or extra stat points etc.

Chains Of Honor [Dol-Um-Ber-Ist] – this is a truly great armour it has +2 to all skills, + 65 to all resistances, +20 to strength, damage reduction and replenish life.

Guardian Angel - this is a really good alternative to CoH its gives you a 15% to max resistance, +1 to paladin skills. This can be considered an end game armour for a lot of paladins, socket this with an um rune for resistance and you will have a very nice end game armour indeed.

Shaftstop – good armour Vs melee characters, but lacks resistance and + skills

Smoke [Nef-Lum] - +50 to all resistances, good cheap armour.

Lionheart [Hel-Lum-Fal] - + 30 to all resistances and extra stats and life.

Helm

Shako – +2 skills, extra life and mana, 10% DR, socket this with an um rune for more resistance if you want.

Gaze – duel leach helm with 20% DR this helmet is better for a PvM melee build rather than a PvP, however the 20% DR is nice but the +skills on shako make it the better helmet.

Guillaume’s Face – the helm from the Orphans Call set. Good mods, and it has 35% crushing blow! Great cheap helm for a smiter. Socket this with an um rune for more resist

Rockstopper – this gives nice resistance, damage reduction and more.

Lore [Ort-Sol] – this gives +1 to all skills and +30 lightning resist.

Shield

Herald of Zakarum – if you are on ladder you can upgrade this shield. this shield has it all, extra stats, huge resistance and + skills. I feel that this is the best shield a smiter can have (other than some godly rare shields) the smite damage may be lower than a Sacred Rondache, but with the +skills, HoZ gives you a better average.

For example:

Sacred Rondache:
    Damage: 35 to 58
    Level 20 Smite = +300%
    Level 20 Holy Shield = +57 to +60
    Level 20 Fanaticism = +373%

(92 to 118) * (1 + 3.00 + 3.73) = 711 to 912

HoZ [Gilded Shield]:
    Damage: 20 to 28
    Level 24 Smite = +360%
    Level 24 Holy Shield = +73 to +76
    Level 22 Fanaticism = +407%

(93 to 104) * (1 + 3.60 + 4.07) = 806 to 902

This leaves you with a higher average damage from the HoZ. (Note: by upgrading the HoZ your damage would be even higher.

Gloves

Draculs grasp – these gloves are the best for a smiter the chance of open wounds, extra str and life tap makes these unbeatable.

Steelrend – these gloves have 10% crushing blow however draculs grasp is my preferred gloves.

Immortal King Gloves – if you cant afford draculs then I would use these as they give nice str and dex bonuses. Used with ik belt you get +25 IAS what is handy for getting max attack speed.

Crafted Gloves – a good alternative is to craft some gloves with crushing blow on them, if you are luck you may get some with resist etc.

Boots

Gore Riders – Gore riders are the boots for a smiter, since they have 15% crushing blow, and 25% open wounds and an all-important 30% faster run/walk.

Goblin Toe – these are also great boots for a smiter as it has 25% crushing blow (10% extra than gores) however it lacks the chance of open wounds and the faster run/walk that make the Gores so great.

Belt

Verdungo’s Hearty Cord – this is my belt of choose, 15% DR, more vitality and replenish life make this my favourite belt.

String of Ears – this is also a good belt, 15%DR however the ll will not work with smite so Verdungo’s is a lot better.

Immortal Kings – if you are using ik gloves then you may want to use this belt for the IAS.

Rings

Raven Frost – I use this ring mainly for the “cannot be frozen†mod try do get one with +20 dex so you can put more stat points into vita.

Bul ring – +1 to all skills and extra life, this is perfect for any character, it does not matter about the ll on the ring as you cant leach with smite.

SOJ – +1 to all skills and extra mana I suggest using a bul ring instead as you will have plenty of mana and the extra life from the bul ring helps.

Amulet

Maras – +2 to all skills and resistances what more can I say

Highlords – +1 to all skills and other nice mods.

Charms

Combat skillers – your ultimate goal would be to have 10 of these in your inventory, + skills is what is going to boost your smite damage a lot so try and get hold to as many of these as possible.

Anni – amazing charm, +1 to all skills, 20 to all resist, 20 to all stats and +10% extra exp. This is the unique charm that is dropped by Uber Diablo (Diablo Clone) If you don’t have one yet don’t worry this character is very good at killing him ;)

Other charms – fill the rest of you inventory with 17-20 life sc, faster run walk sc and all resist charms (if needed). I don’t have any of those mass duped “godly†charms so but I’m sure some of you do, if you do and you want to use them do so.

:scratch:

2. breez

breez IncGamers Member

Gores have 10% OW :(

3. Diminished-Soul

Diminished-Soul IncGamers Member

Eh its 6fps or 6 Frames Per Second.

There are MANY more choices for Smiter weapons.

Priests Weapons: Swords, Scepters, and Flails.
    Um or Ber these for Open Wounds and Crushing Blow.
    Make sure these weapons have the swiftness or quickness suffix so you can still maintain max Smite Frames when Combined with Bloodfists.

I notice ur choice on BM gear I call it:
    Doom
    Beast
    I am suprised there is no CtA in the mix.

The best smite gloves IMO are Bloodfists: Life, Ias, and FHR. What more could you ask for...

I could type much much more but I must go for now.

Chris

4. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

Pure smite looks good on paper but.

when u get out into the pala dueling world its a differnet story.

You might wan't to add a part in ur guide stating that you could add charge or foh or somthing else to give the pala more versitality.

Yes i know its a pure smiter guide but...

if you are dueling a foher or a hammerdin or liberator or a v/t, ranger

smite won't connect alot, all of those builds have a "ranged" attack. By ranged for a pala i mean foh / hammers bow.

Other then that its a good guide.

maybe some dueling strats too...

Just an idea. feel free to yell at me if u must.

5. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I think steelrend have to high Str req when you can get Blood gloves or Venom Grips for chrushing

Silence is also useful as weapon

GJ BTW

6. hulk2004uk

thanks for the comments, i didn’t spend that long on the guide so I’m going to improve it later.
    i was bored while my internet was not working so i decided to do something instead of playing solitaire :)

i will ad more weapons etc later too.
    i was thinking about using charge with it but then i thought i will not have all the equipment to make it :p

7. hulk2004uk

:love: Astreon's Iron Ward :love: i want one!!!

8. breez

breez IncGamers Member

No it is not. It is 6fpa or 6 Frames Per Attack. Diablo game mechanics run at 25 Frames Per Second so a 6fpa Smite will attack 25/6 times Per Second ( = 4.1 attacks per second )

9. Diminished-Soul

Diminished-Soul IncGamers Member

Oh well I made my furst mistake so kill me...

Hehe Astreons Iron Ward is a damn sexual weapon, but blizzard screwed it with the slow...

10. hulk2004uk

11. Any1

Any1 Banned

The build has been called a "Vindicator" since D2C.

Why would you use a Beast Caduceus, when you can easily use a War Scepter and avoid all high stat requirements?

A "Rose-branded Scepter of Quickness" with two Ber runes (or resist jewels), used to be very popular for this build.

12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Dont forget to add Smite speed tables.

Weapons Section: Don't forget 'Kingslayer' Runeword. Make recomendations on what weapon to put runewords in. Redeemer also should be added

Mention that some gear is b.m., i.e. Drac's. On the same note, you failed to mention Exile runeword and Enigma, even they it is BM.

Socketing Options need to be added.

crg

13. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

well beast already has CB and OW on it so that's handy. In a higher % than you could ever get on a preists of quickness 2 socket.

However the real issue here is optimizing the build. Which has already been done, it's called the vindi/temp...smite/foh. Why waste points in defiance when you can have a highly viable secondary attack, and still have 15K def with a non exile shield?

14. FoodPoisoning

FoodPoisoning Banned

Sorry, but I have to take out my anger on you

Fastest smite is 6 fpa?
    All the weapons are BM?
    What about teh silence phase?
    Why only smite, not a hybrid?
    HoZ does not have more smite damage than a +2 sacred rondache?
    ITS NOT THE BEST SMITE SHIELD!??!?!?
    Why only sucky boots included? :(
    Why are the best gloves missing?
    Why is enigma not included even though one of the best armors for this build? or at least chains?
    etc...

I admire that you would spend your time to write this. Just pointing out some things I thought should be/not be in the guide...

15. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

yeah food is right on all counts. Let me see I can help you out.

The highest average smite dmg shield is this: +2 sacred rodanche

The best armor is enigma for obvious reasons
    silence phase is THE BEST all round smiter weapon followed closely by BEAST or priests xxx of quickness berber or umum
    pure smite is a waste of skill points
    best gloves would be cb, +stat, resist, +life crafted blood gloves
    best boots would be +stat, +resists, +FHR or gores
    best charm setup would be 10x combats +life and 10 x vita/resist sc +anni if you have.
    rings 2 x bul kathos or 1 raven
    ammy: +2 skills, +stats, +resists, +life or maras if you have to or +3 combat +life

16. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Poopy, I think for +2 sacred rondarche, Alma Negra fits the bill. Unless you had a +2 rare sacred rondarche with 2 sockets (1.10 allows up to 2 socs in rares) and deflecting mods and.... By the way, I have a zoded +2 Alma Negra which does well. I'm still looking for the perfect rare though. Not mentioning the other choices as I agree with them.

17. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

IIRC average dmg on all elite paladin shields are the same. Could be wrong, since times a changing, but I'm pretty sure average dmg is the same on all smite shields.

18. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

hate to tell you this but *gasp* your wrong.

Sacred rodanche has .5 higher average smite dmg.

19. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

oh course it fits the bill. I didn't specify rares only. I was disagreeing with the fact that he said HoZ had highest smite dmg or some such nonesense.

I too, search endlessly for that godliest of yellow items.

20. FoodPoisoning

FoodPoisoning Banned

eh Casey you bloody fool :p
    1. Beast - nt!?
    2. Best Gloves are Bloodfists (I have done the math!?)