Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Huge (Bugged?) Legendary Drop Rate in Patch 2.3.1

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[caption id="attachment_385091" align="alignright" width="333"][​IMG] 11 legendaries by level 16...[/caption]
    There are lots of forum threads commenting on the increased legendary drop rate in the new PTR patch. People playing T10 say with copied chars say the drop rate is almost as high as it was when the community buff was active, and even players starting out new S4 chars at level 1 said it was very high.

been doing Torment X. Drop rates seem way to high. Getting same if not more Legends than when the community buff was active.

24 legendaries one run 5 set items. Should be rewarded for being able to clear 10 but donno .. seems like this many drops could get lamesauce fast
    --Nabbs

Drop rates do seem higher than normal. Is it a bug or change in policy? Unlike others I wouldn't mind seeing more loot. If you're searching for a "good" something then it seems to me multiple drops of the it will produce a better result. We are also going to need more crafting mats..
    --evok​

Curious about that and the low level progression and crafting, I found an hour to play this evening and hopped on with a new Season 4 softcore DH. Nothing felt any different until about level 11, when I entered my first Rift. I'd found just 1 leg until that point doing all of act 1 bounties, but once in the Rift things changed.

That changed in the Rift. My first golden chest in the Rift popped 2 legs at once. I found 4 more on that floor, and several more on floor 2, including another one from the Guardian. In the screenshot you see my char after doing that first Rift, exiting after the Guardian. That's 11 legs found -- 5 equipped, 4 in the stash, and 2 others on the Follower. And that's by level 16, playing solo on Hard, without any twinks, community buffs, MF, etc.

If this was just a big buff to the leg drop rate for new characters, to make the 1-70 more fun, I would not object. The 1-70 is boring, and clangs are fun. I wasn't leveling any faster (except due to slightly faster killing speed) and there weren't double goblins or double shards or triple exp or anything else community buff-style, but the drop rate is definitely way higher than in the past.

It's fun for the 1-70 grind, but as this huge drop rate seems to be across the board, to the point that people on T10 are already complaining that it's too easy... that seems like a problem. There's nothing in the patch notes about a global leg drop rate buff, so it's possible this is a bug. Which would be really ironic, as Bliz rebooted Season 4 mostly because the initial run at S4 last week was corrupted by a bug that made crafted items have no Clvl req.

See you guys for Season 4, part 3, next week!

Update: No Blue replies to any threads about the drop rate buff, and some players say they haven't found any more legs than they'd expect on Live. Stories from T10 are hard to evaluate. After all, there *should* be more legs dropping on T7-T10 on the PTR than on T6 on Live, since they're higher difficulty levels.

That's why I wanted to test level 1 char in S4, and finding 11 legs when I'd have expected 3-5 at most on Live seemed pretty good evidence to me. Possible I just had a really good run of RNG + Bliz boosted the drop rate some, but not hugely?
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Thortok2000

Thortok2000 IncGamers Member

Yup, I'm starting a level 1 and it's like, wait, is the community buff still on? XP seems to be faster than I remember too, although goblins are not doubled.

3. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I'm playing T6 non-Season HC on the PTR, and the legendary drop rate seems higher than normal.

4. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I have ~2-3 times more legendaries from HC T6 Rifts now. If that's the goal, then fine. Let's not forget that the number of available legendaries rises again with patch 2.3. They have to do something about the drop rates, so that completing a specific set doesn't take ages. ^^

5. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

Right, but now the cube is supposed to help with completing sets/finding what you're looking for.<br />That said I'm not gonna complain about a higher drop rate...

6. Flux

Flux Administrator

I played a new level 1 in the first run of Season 4, just a couple of weeks ago, and the leg drop rate wasn't anything different than live. I went up to P200ish before they turned the community buff back on and it felt like proper leg item progression. Nothing like people are getting today in S4v2.

7. PrvtPiLe

PrvtPiLe IncGamers Member

I read this post yesterday just as I was jumping into a T7 adventure mode game (lvl 70). I had been playing for a couple of minutes, no legendaries, then I read this article, resumed playing and I swear for the next 2 minutes or so *every single chest* I opened dropped at least 1 legendary, as did the single blue elite pack that I killed (got about 8 legendaries in those few minutes). Then it stopped... no more legendaries. Now, this could be pure coincidence, but that seems like some pretty unlikely RNG right there, and given that we know they can adjust drop-rate 'on-the-fly', it surely could have been them messing with it? Who knows!

8. Thortok2000

Thortok2000 IncGamers Member

Been playing a lot of season 4 and the legendary rate is slightly under the community buff level.

Boss bounty chests tend to guarantee one or two legendaries with only the occasional one not having a legendary. Standard regular chests (normally a magic item only, not even a rare) have a legendary frequently enough that they're worth opening. Named uniques have legendaries more often than not, and elite packs are at somewhere around 10-20% legendaries instead of more like 3-5%.

My first legendary at level 11, practically right after I dinged, and I was like 'wow that was quick' and it's been like that ever since. I'm not drowning in them like I was in the community buff, but I'm swimming pretty hard.