Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hubcaps and Rims

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Jun 5, 2005.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Hubcaps and Rims

Okay, so this is something that's been bothering me a while. I know there's a fundamental difference between hubcaps and rims in the sense that a hubcap is placed over the rim of the wheel. So you have the rim inside which actually lines the wheel's inner circumference, and then you have a hubcap over it. Of course, hubcaps are used when your rims are not pretty. So there's that I understand (I may very well be wrong on this point).

But what is there performance-wise? I guess without hubcaps, your car is lighter, but in terms of the wheel and all, how do hubcaps and rims affect the performance of your car?

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Not sure, but if you live near me, the odds are some little idiot will steal your hubcaps, leaving you without a choice to show tem or not.
    anyway, i expect there very little difference in performace, i think its more of cosmetic thing.

3. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Alot of people get the words "wheel" and "tire" confused. Wheel is also known as rims, and of course a tire is a tire.
    Also the 2 words hubcap and performance should not be placed in the same sentence.
    But in general wheels(rims) do help in performance when weight/width/height are concerns. Not really much more I know about it other than that...oh and looks is of course an importance.

4. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Okay well I'm sorry I confused "wheel" and "tire" (although I never mentioned tire and I was referring to the whole as the "wheel", meaning the tires, the bolts, the rims (wheel), the hubcaps, the air inside the inner chamber, the thing that sticks out to inject air, the cap of that thing that sticks out and whatever else you find on the tire, wheel, rim and whatever of a car.).

I know there is an "optimum diametre" for a wheel, it's something like 17.5" or something that seems to give you the best all-in-all acceleration and top speed for the average engine.

Anyway, I was just wondering...nothing really serious. Although I'm pretty sure spinners make your car fly.

5. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

My comment on the wheel and tire was not directed towards you..it was thrown out there, as something I see alot of people get confused. When I learned this is when a friend of mine ordered, or was trying to, order some new rims..and the guy keep saying "wheels?"..and my friend keep saying.."no rims"....it was quite funny...and he knows alot about cars as well. Its just all that correct wording on certain items that require ordering from a know-it-all. Most people around here use the word rims...which seems to be less confusing to most. Jusr dont use it when ordering..hehe

But your measures dont tell me anything...rims can be all sorts of sizes for different cars/trucks. Their size will determine what you going to use it for...drag/drift/cornering/mudding/jumping? All these are VERY important when ordering a after-market wheel, for perfection on a vehicle.
    And I know you didn't mention tires..but if you want to make some awesome..you gain nothing without knowing which tire to buy after you decide on your wheels.