Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hrs disappearing?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by CheeseCheese, Oct 8, 2006.

1. CheeseCheese

CheeseCheese IncGamers Member

Hrs disappearing?

OK, I just got my first few hrs today and I started out with 9. I used one to buy a torch and another for my Hoto so 7 hrs should be left, right? But I only have 5. I swear I didn't use them and earlier today, I KNOW that I had 2 bers. Now I have one. I asked a friend and he said that this always happens, that they just go Poof. Is this true? If so, why do they disappear?

Also, my friend said to keep them in cube so they don't disappear. True? One more thing. He said something about perming. Like trading with someone and leave window as fast as you can when they click the check button or something like that. He said this prevents the hrs from disappearing. Is this true? If it is, could someone explain the method correctly? I can't really remember how it went, but it was something like that. Thanks.

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

They dissapear because they're dupes.

3. MysticDragon

MysticDragon IncGamers Member

There is no guaranty they won't poof.

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Ah. Welcome to the world of trading duped high items.
    The thing that makes them disappear is RustStorm, Blizzard's attempt to keep the game pure and clean, free from duped (copied) items. It's a passive scan of your items that happens when you enter/leave a game each time (not sure which). Any offending material detected is promptly deleted. However, this does not happen each game, and is seemingly random, so I think it's a little more complex than that. I guess you've just gotta accept that they'll disappear from your inventory at some time in their life.
    Players duplicate (dupe) items of rarity because finding them in-game is too time consuming for them and they want to gain an edge over other players... by cheating... but it's the non-dupers that suffer for trading off their hard earned loot only to have their new stuff disappear.

As for "perming" them, it's not been proven that the trade-menu-exit method works, yet people still advocate it. Apparently socketing runes, or using the Horadric Cube recipe to upgrade runes avoids poofing, but I don't think there's surefire proof that those methods work either.

5. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

High runes poof because they are duped. Blizzard has a program called the warden that checks items that are multiple. If it discovers one is a duplicate, it deletes it.

Perming usually seems to work. The cube thing is... false...

6. rata

rata IncGamers Member

i think there's a warranty on all HR's, just return them to the point of purchase for a full refund:laugh:

7. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Don't keep all your HRs together on one mule.
    For example if you have 2x bers and 1 is tagged a dupe, that one might disappear ! So do not try to have multiples of the same rune in one char.

Or

Only trade for runes if you are going to make them into runewords straight away.

Or

Trade for uniques with HR value and keep them (like i do). Stuff like Arach / 3% LL is like always priced at 1 Hr on West and it can be an ok de facto standard for hrs.

Or

Don't trade for them, it is that simple.

8. CheeseCheese

CheeseCheese IncGamers Member

Ah I see. And you have some good points there, Bladewind. And has duping been patched over or something? Or could people be duping at this very moment?

9. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

Unless you self-found them.

10. sswilson

sswilson IncGamers Member

Do you mean that keeping them in the cube for perming is false or that making new runes with them is false?

I have no proof either way, but I would have thought that making a new rune would give it a new unique identifying # which would be safe. (Can't imagine that the system would keep track of every rune which went into making a new one..... how long would the code be if you started from el and worked your way up even to just amn....)

11. Zalcitabine

Zalcitabine IncGamers Member

Anyone know how many high runes poofed on the closed realms since the beginning of LoD?

We could just convert that number in a dollar value and sue a duper or two - that would help kill the time while waiting for a reset.

taking your bet, ladies and gentlemen

12. pek

pek IncGamers Member

Happend also to me (earlier today). I woke up, entered game and noticed that my BER (on my main character, which i was running with for weeks now) poofed.
    Maybe that RustStorm isn't as random as we think?
    Maybe it scans all chars all the time but searching for just one ID at time, so it doesn't have to keep track of all IDs on all chars which would be memory consuming. And after full scan if it finds more than one item with specific ID it deletes all of them.