Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HoZ or Exile for Zealer/1pt Smiter..

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by bohooho, Aug 27, 2006.

1. bohooho

bohooho IncGamers Member

HoZ or Exile for Zealer/1pt Smiter..

I cannot decide which shield to use for my zeal/1pt smiteladin. I want a all around build where i can do ubers and cut through hell like butter. I'm currently using these equipments:
    Guillaume's Face
    T-god belt
    AP Fort
    Raven Frost + leech resist rare ring
    Maras ammy
    Dracul's grasp
    Gore riders
    and
    High Grief PB.

Any suggestions for my pally? I heard Exile requires a 4os eth elite shield with at least 40+ resists. I don't know if this is the best choice for me since the shield itself can be very expensive. But again, I wanna know which one is better for my build. I don't mind spending hrs for it as long as it gives me the best outcomes.

2. The top ramen

The top ramen IncGamers Member

i like upped hoz better because of the skill points it gives and put an um in it and itll have really good res.

3. Autopilot

Autopilot IncGamers Member

Yeh I prefer my um'd uped hoz, it gives me better and more consistant damage than exile

4. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

I guess I'll be counter-point here. :grin:

Both shields are obviously very good but I chose eExile. The mods on HoZ are very nice but no one mod is irreplaceable. For Grief Zealots +skills only do so much, youre already hitting so hard so fast that additional skills are just gravy.

Defiance Aura and 15% Lifetap are why I chose Exile, they cannot be found anywhere else. Defiance Aura is definitely overkill even in Hell, but so is Holy Shield really, why not make life easier on yourself with 25k+ Defense?

Lifetap can be found on Dracs but the 5% didn't trigger enough for my taste and carrying a Lifetap wand for Ubers was touch-and-go, the 15% from Exile seems to go off plenty and frees up your glove slot for other things like LoH or Blood Crafted gloves which I think bring more to the table than HoZ.

Also, don't up the HoZ, if you up it the +Strength on it won't help you since it'll be the heaviest thing you're carrying; the increased Defense won't outweight the increase in requirements and if you want Defense you should be going Exile anyways, likewise the increase in base Smite damage is pitiful - you Smite to deliver Crushing Blow and Grief damage, that's it.

5. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Ya you will cut through hell like butter with this build till you try to clear Chaos Sanctuary or Wk lvls on the way to Baal.

Exile over HOZ cuz you can throw away your dumpy Draculs for some crafts with 20 ias and CB and stats and you can get a better hat too.

6. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Just because you are always using Dream doesn't mean the rest of us can't benefit from the awesomenicity of Guillame's :laugh:

7. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

I have just been having this discussion online with someone. Hoz with an um beats exile imo, but without, exile wins. the only diffs in our build is i use barnaars star and highlords.

Now before people start asking why bs, IAS is great and my hf merc has infinty so it makes perfect sense to me

8. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

The possible difference of 30ish resistances is easily made up for. In my experience Exile is best used in melee duels to hit ridiculously high Defense or in PvM for the Lifetap. In the case of melee duels resistances don't matter and in PvM CoH or multiple combinations of other gear can net you maxxed resistances.

HoZ is best used on less specialized PvP'ers like FoH'ers, V/Ts, T/Vs, Hammerdins etc. where the +skills and resistances can actually help you out.

For general PvM slaughter Exile has the edge and in Uber Tristram if you're having resistance trouble after a Fade prebuff you should be thinking about Pdiamond allres Elite shields or Paladin Sanctuary not HoZ.

9. xix sephra

xix sephra IncGamers Member

The good thing bout zeal/1pt smite is that it lets you zeal DUH.... and smite...despite what smiter dualers will tell you.. 1 pt is still plenty in paly vs paly.. and zeal is better for other things :).. anyways back to gear

dungos > tgods (stash tgods for pvp swapout)
    good luck on the leech/resist ring
    highlords or metalgrid > mara's (zeal/smite doesnt need +skills)
    draculs or crafted or LOH or bloodfists
    gores = check!

Face is uber helm.. only 1 other choice in helms and well.. not many have that crown... but its good as well

options:
    with exile ... you could swap to a zerk grief instead of pb... and swap draculs for IAs gloves/ maybe a highlords depending on res (i cant think of how much ias you need to max speed but i think its enough with highlord + 20ias on glove) This will get you a little more damage for the res hit.. None of this effects boss killing speed.. just helps a little in pvp :)

ps: exile only requires a PALLY SHIELD with 4 sockets it doesnt care about the res OR the ETH... The reason people want high res 30+ and eth are thus: Most shields have 30+ res and so swaping out for less is already a hit (think hoz for its res here)... and people make in ETH shields for the defence bonus's since exile repairs durability :)

10. Clicktoseename

Clicktoseename IncGamers Member

How to uppgrade Hoz??

11. Big Boss

Big Boss IncGamers Member

I think exile is way over rated for ubers. The defense boost isn't going to do you any good really since most of the damage taken is elemental, and you should be using last wish which already gives a good lifetap. The only real useful mods I see is the +max res, which is only 5.

Some mods from HoZ can be replaced with charms, but from the shield they can go a long way. 20 str will save you points if you want to put on a CoA, and a standard 50 res all makes stacking res easier especially since you still have an option to socket the shield.

Although any item that is eth and can be repaired or is indestructible is pimp, HoZ is much more practical uber-wise.

upgrade HoZ = lem ko pdiamond

12. Clicktoseename

It doesnt works why?

13. Big Boss

either your on non-ladder or its already up'd to a zakarum shield.

14. Clicktoseename

I am ladder and the hoz have 509 defence.

15. Big Boss

sounds like its up'd...is it a zakarum shield?

16. Clicktoseename

Yes it is! But i think i saw a unique item guide, hoz have, dont know exactly about 400 to 509 defence.

17. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

I would argue that a 4x Pdiamond all res Elite Shield is the most 'practical' thing you'd need for ubers; HoZ is, in my opinion, no more economical or practical than Exile because HoZ is now worth a HR or two and Exile can be made for that.

The point of using Exile again is because it provides the necessary amount of Lifetap (I dont consider Drac's enough) without the need for Last Wish. Last Wish is an amazing weapon true, but if you plan on ever going PvM outside of Uber Tristram I think the best shield you can use is Exile, because it allows you to use Grief.

CoA? Huh?

18. xix sephra

xix sephra IncGamers Member

Res is the most important thing in ubers followed by lifetap. both shields work. sadly people OVERPAYING for hoz's these days means you can get exile which is superior in almost every way imho.. Coa is pointless for ubers its pvp helm. gface is no question the best helm you can get. That being said hoz is a fine shield :)

19. Big Boss

I disagree that CoA is just a pvp helm...Guillaume's is a really good choice, but with a lw and gores/goblin toes the cb is basically overkill...meaning your giving up the +1 skill, possibly 2soc where you can stack further on res, dr or w/e, base 20-30 res and 10-15 dr just for that bit extra cb till you hit the 95% cap...CoA is not pointless lol.

Uber's really isn't big enough a deal to get your gear down to a science...all you need is good res, cb, and lifetap.

btw hoz on west is still cheaper...even if you spend 3hr on one, its still cheaper. You'r gonna use 3hr on an exile, plus getting an elite shield with good res will probably run you at least another hr.

20. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

You can't justify using certain gear because you dont need to worry about the gear in the first place. True, you dont need to get scientific with your gear setup just to kill ubers; but if that was the point would forums like this still be around?

It's natural for people to want to experiment and discuss until theyve not only found gear that works for them, but what they feel is the best gear possible for a given setup or purpose.

That said I disagree with you that LW and HoZ (or any other shield for that matter) is on par with Grief and Exile, which retains a popular margin for a reason, its probably the best pair Ive ever worked with in my diablo career; which despite my small presence here has been a long, long road of experimentation and discovery. Would you say that eExile is trumped by anything in PvM from a mod perspective?

I do agree that for ubers only Last Wish is almost tailor made for the job, and a paladin Sanctuary with 110+ to all resists would be the best setup; but with the implementation of the Spirit runeword I would say there is no more use for HoZ except for a less expensive shield or intermediate/ leveling shield.

<derail>
    CoA is a very nice helm no doubt, and even though I usually stick to my guns and say that price shouldn't have a bearing on an items utility here is an extreme case where I would avoid using this helm in PvM unless you thrive on decadence. My whole setup costs less than a 2 soc CoA, and that's a whole lot of change for some resists and FHR because as we know, +skills and DR don't really effect uber-runners that much.
    </derail>