Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How's my MF setup?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Newman, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

How's my MF setup?

Hey guys, I picked up D2 again and I'm enjoying it quite a bit some old friends hooked me up with some good items so I'm in good standing right now.

Here is my setup so far.

Level 76 Cold Sorc
    Level 33 Frozen Orb
    Level 33 Ice Bolt
    Level 33 Cold Mastery
    Level 19 Chilling Armor
    Level 18 Warmth

Equipment:
    Shako (PTopazed)
    Enigma (1312 D)
    Crystal Sword (6 IST)
    Monarch (4 IST)
    Lidless Wall (UMed)
    Oculus (ISTed)
    War Travlers 44% MF
    Chance Guards 39% MF
    Stone of Jordan x2
    Goldwrap
    Mara's Kaleidscope +29 Resists

I can easily kill Mephisto with my Monarch and Crystal sword equipped, so far I've found a Lidless wall.

So, how's my setup?

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

personally, i would think that 4 isted monarch and 6 isted sword is a waste. but im not that rich. if u are, then go for it.

your build looks fine. the only thing that i think u are lacking is some fcr. You only have 50% so far, and when u switch to the sword and monarch, you have 0%. try switching sojs for fcr rings or getting rid of ur enigma for upped vipermagi.

also, u dont need that many pts in warmth, one base pt is good enough

3. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Fairly Expensive gear you have there.

Why enigma though? Enigma isn't all that fantastic for sorcs, and if you're making her primarily for MF why not skullders? Sure you lose 1 skill but the MF is quite a bit better. You could up it if you'd have the strength to equip it.

You could probably stand to upgrade your goldwrap so you can hold more potions.

I might switch out your chance guards for some nice rare MF gloves. You'd probably end up with something more useful and not lose that much MF.

Other than that, looking good. How are your charms?

4. Khalim's_Nosehair

Khalim's_Nosehair IncGamers Member

You must be running mid-500's MF. Given the diminishing returns to MF, that might be too much if it slows you down or you die on the way to bosses.

Your resists must be pretty low given that setup. Also, it looks like you lack the cannot be frozen mod.

I would swap out the lidless for a spirit shield. You pick up a skill point and lots of other goodies. Maybe ditch one SOJ for a ravenfrost so there is no skill loss.

Run Andy for an afternoon and pick up a Gheeds.

A near-perfect Maras on a MF char seems like a waste to me. You can probably craft or gamble an ammy that has MF, resists, and skills. Also, enigma is more or less wasted on a MF sorc since you can already teleport. Skullders is the way to go.

Belt - Tal's is a good choice, also crafting a caster belt works.

Personally, I don't like one-trick ponies for MF-ing. I have found just as much good stuff on the way to bosses as I have from them. Actually my best items have been found on the way. Going cold-only limits your ability to MF on the way there. I have used a sorc, barb, and trapsin as primary MF characters. I like the trapsin the best.

5. Yellowbird

Yellowbird Banned

is the enigma so your sorc can teleport lol.

i'd lose it for tal armor and belt with ptopaz.

I used to run hell baal alone with blizz sorc and good merc. I wouldn't recommend that with the set up you have.

shako with ptopaz
    occy and stormshield and enough dex for max block.
    tal armor and belt for good mf with ptopaz.
    war travs
    gheeds

on swap/ 2 ist ali baba and rhyme.

this might not have as much mf (you only really need 300-350%) but you'll have no problems with getting to baal. I bet your resists are pretty low.

I would have also left orb alone and went straight blizzard.

6. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

Honestly, your setup sucks and looks ebayed.

If you can afford enigma for a sorc (lol) and 6 ist CS, you should have better things to do in the game than run meph. When running meph 200-300% mf is enough, 0% mf for andy. IMO, anything over 300% is an overkill, considering the dimishing returns formula - and you lose killing speed at the same time.

Personally, I would never play sorc without 105% fcr. 63% is OK for meph as well, but makes running slower, since 'porting to meph takes longer. Everything under 63% fcr is pathetic.

So, I suggest the following setup:

HotO - 40% fcr
    Harle
    Travs
    Tal rasha's combo (armor, belt, ammy) - 20% fcr
    Stormshield
    Frosties
    SoJ
    Rare fcr ring
    Mara's

That makes 275% mf, a whole lot more if you use gull dagger to finish the kill, good resists and 45% pdr.

Also, the build could be better. The points left over from maxing orb damage should have been dumped into TK/ES/teleport IMO. Because of the new runeword, warmth has lost a lot its importance, and even without insight, I see it as one point wonder.

7. Khalim's_Nosehair

Khalim's_Nosehair IncGamers Member

One other thing, with the new runewords, most previously-considered elite uniques are no longer worth much. Don't believe me? Create an 8-person game called "pul4stormshield" (supposedly what it is worth) and see how fast it fills up. It can be measured in picoseconds.

Most uniques are worthless anymore. Aside from a few uniques like hoz and griffons, most uniques are worth nothing. If you want to find something someone will pay a lot for, find an ethereal 6 open socket berzerker axe or a +3 4 open socket grand matron bow. MF doesn't affect rune drops, as far as I know, so whats the point? Might as well go run the pits with your 0-MF uber barb.

8. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

If you ask me, stormshield takes up way too much strength for a sorceress. I think the original poster used enigma for the +strength so he could equip that 4-socketed monarch. I suggest using a rhyme grim shield for the mf bonus and the block rate. The physical damage reduce and the blocking is nice on the stormshield but I would want more life, but then again I play hardcore so I always prefer life over everything else.

9. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Actually, I'm not losing killing speed, and my setup isn't 'ebayed'. With my ISTed sword/Monarch I still have over 1000 life and 700 mana, and my orb is still level 29 doing 5xx-5xx damage.

This sorc was built ONLY for MF. I can do a run in under 30 seconds (if I find level 3 fast enough). My resists are 30+ for Hell (not that great, but whatever). I like Enigma due to the + skills, defence and MF.

I have no trouble working my way down there, and I rarely die. I understand the fact of diminishing returns, but was I wasn't using my ISTed equipment, I wasn't finding anything. Today, I've found Shako, Ormus' Robe and Stormshield, I'm pretty impressed with it.

10. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Your right, most of the uniques aren't worth anything anymore. But I use the equipment I find to start other characters and play from there.

11. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Well, how's this, since you want Enigma's +2 Skill, do this:
    Switch Enigma to Ptopazed Skullder (Lose 1 skill, A lot more MF)
    Switch Lidless to Spirit (1 more skill, more resistance)
    This way, you keep the + skills, you get more MF, you get more resistances.
    Enigma on sorc is a huge waste, the whole point of Enigma is so that non-tele characters can teleport, that's all.

12. NEURO_CKY

NEURO_CKY IncGamers Member

ya...i have to agree. enigma on a sorc= farting noises.

CampKillYourself

13. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

You have a fine set up, I would swap one Soj for a Dwarfstar ring. Fire resist is great when running ol' mephy and you can kill the Minions with out fear. Because you are using this Character to run Mephy then all the Ists are great. Wish I could afford it. I prefer 500+ MF running Meph, the drops are much better. Now, if you were doing Baal, then you would have to redo your set up!

As to the Ists used in the sword and shield, it would not be the best use of valuable runes, except, you got the gear from friends. (Say, could you hook me up with these guys!) 10 Ist runes would have been better spent on buying a couple of Annihilus charms, but like you said...the gear was given to you as is and you are using it well enough!

The 156 str. to equip a Storm Shield or Isted Monarch is a bit much for a sorc, better spend the attribute points on life. WAIT! I have a Sorc with Spirit Monarch! I didn't mind spending the attribute points on Strength either, And! I have a base strength at 156 so I don't "pop"! I think "it's all good" whatever we do with our characters!

EDIT What the rabbit said!!! (5Ws)Swap that Enigma and get Spirit when you can! Guess you are Non-ladder.

14. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Uhh...yeah an upped skullers would be better, methinks

I like a happy balance of MF/killing gear and tons of MF charms. You can get your MF up real quick with an inventory full of MF charms. An easily attained 300% MF on equipment + another 150% in charms makes a pretty nice setup and you can kill nicely. Just find your balance.

15. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I find it amusing to see several of you folks recommend the ladder-only-runeword spirit, afaik he didn't say anything about playing ladder. What would you guys recommend instead of spirit if he plays non-ladder?

16. Anthraquinone

Anthraquinone IncGamers Member

Seems like most people forget the enormous str bonus Enigma grants.

-AnQ

17. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

i can only agree to taht, imo enigma realy isnt only for teleporting around. whit a eni u can put on stormshield and other heavy gear whibout putting too many points into strgh. overpowered ? only a lil :) but not only cause of tele

18. markDweasel

markDweasel IncGamers Member

Why 0 MF for Andy?

Mark

19. sheepe2004

sheepe2004 IncGamers Member

Oh man that is such a waste. Mephi wont give you anything thats worth nearly as much as the gear your using to run him without some insane luck and a few 1000 runs. If you can afford eni and 10 ists in switch weapons (a total waste of 10 ist btw) you should just not bother mfing anymore.

20. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

There's a bug.

If you talk to any of the npc's in a1 after killing andy, you'll get the "quest drop" every time (which has the best odds), and that's why you don't need mf.

True, andy has lower mlvl than meph and she can't drop all useful elite uniques, but she's fast to run, drops well and and an excellent source of rings & ammys.

--

Again, using enigma on sorc is such a waste. I agree it's a great armor even without tele, but there are better options like Vipermagi. Very cheap, 50 all res, +skill and most importantly FCR.