Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How's my first Werebear look?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by VVanker79, Feb 5, 2004.

1. VVanker79

VVanker79 IncGamers Member

How's my first Werebear look?

This is my first Werebear (or Druid for that matter). I'm not looking for the perfect build. I don't need him to ownz. I just wanted some opinions of the strengths and, more importantly, weaknesses of my build. Do you think he'll survive in hell?

20 Werebear
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Fire Claws
    20 or 14 Firestorm
    20 or 14 Maul
    5 Shockwave
    7 Oak Sage
    1 Carrion Vine
    3 prereqs

My plan is to charge up Maul and then switch to Fire Claws. Would it be better to max Maul or Firestorm? Which merc do you think would be better, Might/Freeze/other? I'm pretty poor, but what mods should I look for in my items? My biggest item question right now is whether to go with 2h weapon, or 1h weapon and a Pdiamond shield?

Thanks for your input!

2. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

looks like ur trying to make a hybrid.. just hope victus sees this

o ya... personally id only have 1 in shock wave..

3. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

Hmmm PvM Hybrid?

Summoning:
    Well since you don't need incredible AR, I wouldn't bother with a Spirit. 1 Point if you want into Oak Sage, but you won't even really need it with the life you can get from Lycanthropy. I wouldn't really bother Carrion either, it's two extra skill points that can be put elsewhere.

Shapeshifting:
    What I would do is focus on Lycanthropy, Maul, and Fire Claws first. You can raise Werebear later along with the synergy to Fire Claws. Eventually you should max all four of these. Shockwave can be fine with 1 point, if you have enough +skills. I always did fine with level 8 after plus skills. Also put a point into Hunger, this skill is like a blessing from Heaven. Use it anytime you need Life or Mana and you have a full charged Maul. You get insane amounts of Life back or fill your Mana Bulb in 1 hit.

Elemental:
    Just put points in Firestorm. You can max this at the end along with Werebear. The reason I suggest only Firestorm is because you should try to get a Stone Runeword Armor. This armor gives a free level 16 synergy to Fire Claws only if you don't put any points in Molten Boulder. The armor also has great bonuses on it to Stats, Resists, FHR, and you can get some nice defense on it. And the runes are actually all ones that can be easily obtained from Hellforge Drops.

Always go 2-Handed as a Mauler, it's so much better than 1-Handed. You should start off using a sheild though, until later levels, when you have more life and more defense.

For a Mauler I would use either a Might or Defiance Merc. I don't like Holy Freeze because to me it's a waste. With Shockwave, nothing moves a lot of the time anyways. Defiance is nice to boost his defense and your defense, which means you get hit a lot less. Might of course helps both of your damage. I'd rather him not get hit though, so I would choose Defiance.

In a build like this, +Shapeshifting Skills are your friend.

4. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

I believe Hybrids are those druids whom actaully "USE" 2 forms.

In his case he's just a Fireclaws/Mauler.

5. VVanker79

So a better build would be:

20 Werebear
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Maul
    20 Fire Claws
    20 Firestorm
    5 Shock Wave
    3 Hunger
    2 prereqs

Go high damage 2-hand weapon and a might merc.

6. VictusMetuo

That would work. You don't really have to put more than 1 point in Hunger, but that's up to you. I guess you could do those extra points last, because you can decide if you would want more length on your Shockwave, or just some extra leech.

High Damage, yes, but make sure it's not too slow.

7. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

I'd go for:
    20 WB
    20 Lycan
    20 Maul
    20 Fire Claws
    1 Shockwave
    1 Hunger
    Rest in Firestorm

Defiance merc, fast two hand weapon like IK Maul or upgraded Ribcracker.

@Toasty: Hybrids use multiple forms of attack, such as a Sorceress with both Fire and Ice, a Paladin with both Melee and Casting, or a Druid with both Physical and Fire attacks.

8. Hells_Trinity

Hells_Trinity IncGamers Member

looks good to me
    i donno about the carrion vine... id put it in shockwave instead...
    and max maul!

9. VVanker79

Ok, now I've got a slight problem. I'll never be high enough clvl to actually have to worry about this, but it kinda bothers me not to have my complete build planned out.

So I just realized that I'm going to need 111 skill points. :( Where should I take that extra point away from?

20 Werebear
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Maul
    20 Fire Claws
    20 Firestorm
    5 Shock Wave
    1 Hunger
    1 Poison Creeper (already have)
    1 Carrion Vine (already have)
    1 Oak Sage (already have)
    1 Werewolf (prereq)
    1 Feral Rage (prereq)

I'm pretty poor, so I'm not going to have very many +skills. Because of that I don't want to take anything away from Shock Wave. Right now I'm leaning towards taking the extra point away from Fire Claws. I know I'll have to reach clvl 99 in order for this to actually matter, but like I said it's just going to bother me.

10. VictusMetuo

If you don't want to take it from Shockwave take it from Firestorm.