Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How would this Crusader do?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Cadet, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Cadet

Cadet IncGamers Member

How would this Crusader do?

Just wondering how a Crusader with this setup would do and what his damage potential could be:

Helm: Shako, CoA, or other melee helm
    Armor: Fortitude (for the 300% ed)
    Shield: Phoinex (for the 350-400% ed)
    Weapon: Last Wish (since it gives lvl 17 Might aura, means no points needed in Might)
    Boots: Gores
    Belt: T-gods or Verdungo's
    Gloves: Steelrends (for the ed), or some with Res or CB (I'm not good with gloves)
    Rings: Raven, (second ring player choice)
    Ammy: Highlords, or Metalgrid/Mara's for resists.

Switch: Cta and Spirit if you really have to have them.

Skills:
    Fanaticism: 20
    Holy Shield: 20
    Vigor: 20
    Charge: 20
    Pre-reqs: 6

Last points in Defiance or wherever you need them most.

Looking at the build when completed, he'll have a total of 1553% ed from auras and gear (assuming 350% Phoinex and no Steelrends, and a 330% LW, base 20 lvl auras as well), not to mention insane CB from Last Wish alone.

One major problem is the cost; at 2 Vexs, 3 Jahs, a Mal, Sur, Ber, and Lo for the RWs, not to mention his CoA and maybe his shield (if it's a pally one w/ res and/or ed), and a Metalgrid of any kind, it would be nearly impossible to build this guy from trading and searching for gear alone unless you eBayed a lot of the stuff.

Resists, when calculated out, actually came out really good; assuming you get all three Anya quests (30 res), a two soc CoA (bank buster there though) with two Um's (50 res, assuming base res is 20), and a pally shield with resists (assume 40 all res), Fortitude (again, assume lowest, at 25), and we'll say you use a 25 Metalgrid...that'll put you at 170 res all, or 70 res in Hell, which is pretty damn good. Then just get a +15 all res GC or a couple of +5 all res sc's to fill the gaps (you'll have higher max res in Fire and Light due to gear). Of course, no one would stick with the lowest possible unless they absolutely had to, so it would be rather easy to max out all the resists even without charms.

But the big question is, what kind of damage could this guy do in the hands of a decent player? His insane ed, two auras going at once, and maxed synergies should put the damage into an obscene range, shouldn't it?

2. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

1.The might u get from LW doesnt count as synergy to charge.
    2. Grief will do more damage at 1/4 the cost but i bet u already heard that.

3. Cadet

Cadet IncGamers Member

Yes, it would. Same as how Resist Lightning synergizes Holy Shock granted from a Dream helm or shield.

There's a specific reason why I said LW rather than some cookie-cutter weapon. Read the topic post again to see why.

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

No, it would not. Resist lightning is a passive synergy to the ACTIVE Holy Shock aura. Points in Resist lightning boost the Holy Shock aura when it is active, and it becomes active from the dream helm/shield.

There is a difference in having hard points in a synergy, and having no points put into the synergy.

The Last Wish will not give you any points in Might, it will only have an aura active. Only hard points into synergies add bonuses to skills (and also charges of skills), but NOT auras granted by items.
    Thus, Last Wish will add no bonus at all to your charge as a synergy. The only benefit is that you will have an additional aura adding damage, but NOT also synergize the Charge skill.

The topic is: "How would this Crusader do?". It doesnt mention cookiecutters anywhere. He just tried to come with a tip of how to improve the efficenty of the char ;)

mmkay?

5. Cadet

Cadet IncGamers Member

...Isn't that how the Marrowalk bug works for Necros? There's no hard skill point(s) invested in BPrison, yet they get the synergizing effect of a lvl 33 BPrison for Spear/Spirit and other bone attacks. Also, Carrion Wind synergizes Rabies (right?) for a Druid with a lvl 21 synergy. And, take a Dreamer pally, for example. A Dreamer puts no points into Holy Shock, and "only has an aura active", and the Resist Light synergizes it, yes, but who says it can't work in reverse/an item-granted aura synergizes a physical attack? Has anyone tested it? If so, then provide a link to the test results and I'll read them for myself (seriously, I will).

Yes, maybe I did react too quickly there, but seriously, is it entirely necessary to have a Grief for a melee build to be "good" now?

6. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

The difference is that Marrow and Carrionwind add CHARGES of a skill, Last Wish gives you the skill when equipped, it's not the same.

7. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

pure melee charge:

grief < ethereal death zerker

8. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

no no, not at all. builds can do incredibly well without grief too, but its a cheap alternative in comparison to what you get.

And yes, people have tested that it doesnt work the reverse way. I dont have any test results or something here, but i can assure you its just the way it is :p