Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How viable is this build? - Thunderstorm/Blaze Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Invitus, May 11, 2008.

1. Invitus

Invitus IncGamers Member

How viable is this build? - Thunderstorm/Blaze Sorc

This is just a random idea I thought of making with a sorc just for fun, but obviously should be able to handle hell with little difficulty.

Obviously you max
    Thunderstorm
    Blaze

Lightning and Fire masteries are maxed for maximum damage since there are no synergies.

Obviously this is just a for fun build, and to play this you turn on everything, charge in and rambo your butt off.
    I am looking forward for this to work in hell too, suggestions?

If not does anyone have any rambo builds where you just charge in and there are spells that do damage automatically around the sorc? (Something like a wind druid where you just walk into the fray)

2. DayDream

DayDream IncGamers Member

Re: How viable is this build? - Thunderstorm/Blaze Sorc

Tstorm does joke of a damage and blaze is glitched to not do as much damage.
    I've also heard that blaze was fixed but.. This build really doesn't look like it would work =p

3. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Soloed whole act2 hell with blaze sorc. She does/did enough damage, but high lvl blaze caused so much lag that was unplayable in bnet. Get kicked out plenty of times even while soloing. Full games were big NO NO. But it was fun experiment build anyway.
    Damage was nice, much better than I expected, but lag killed that build for me. Bug is not fixed, but still did more than enough damage. You just need fast runner, so you can run same area forward and backward to make multilayer deadspot. Not enough damage if you just run around in circles.

A kind of overpowered in nmare against monsters that follow you.

Thunderstorm is weak, hits way too seldom to kill those fire immunes.
    But far oasis is fire immune free, so at least there you can run around with 'help' of thunder.

4. Invitus

Invitus IncGamers Member

Hmm, without thunderstorm, what is another spell that requires me to charge in to use effectively?

Obviously blaze sorc should do fine (I think damage with maxed fire mastery should be enough) and that it requires you to charge in to use properly. Any other spells, preferably from another tree?

5. JayhawkFan

JayhawkFan IncGamers Member

one of the novas might work. they are relatively close range spells.

6. Invitus

Invitus IncGamers Member

Actually, I am thinking of this now, with the following skills maxed:

Nova
    Lightning Mastery

Blaze
    Fire Mastery

Rest of points into thunderstorm

yea.

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

It should work - I don't know how well your Blaze will work, but with good gear you can probably pull it off. Probably not exactly a powerhouse build though. :wink:

FYI, even max'ed, a relatively small pack of monsters in Hell might be able to out-regenerate the damage your TS does on its own. That's why the others are correct to recommend NOT using it. But having Nova for the primary lightning skill should be enough, and a little supplimentary damage from TS can't hurt.

PS. I'm thinking of making a Blaze/TS sorc of my own someday, but my goal would probably be to beat Baal in Nightmare (then just tele to the hellforge :p).

8. Invitus

Invitus IncGamers Member

Yes, my main concern is that TS would not strike enough.

I never thought of blaze or nova doing enough damage to even tickle monsters in hell...especially with cheaper gear.

9. sirpoopsalot

I haven't tried Blaze, so I can't really tell you how effective it is. DH Amazon makes it sound semi-tolerable though.

Nova I've used, and I like it. It can definitely do some damage, depending on your casting speeds and +skills. The thing about Nova - for me - is that it's important to try to boost your damage so that you force monsters into hit recovery. That makes things a lot safer, in my experience, because monsters can't attack when they're stunned - and you can spam Nova again and reset their hit recovery. So a lot of monsters die without getting in a single attack (which is why I like Novasorcs - you can telebomb right on top of many large packs of monsters and obliterate them).

You need about +10-12 skills to accomplish this reliably (without Infinity). Some monsters will obviously require less +skills, and others will obviously require more, but this should take care of ~90% of the non-lightning immunes.

10. Invitus

Invitus IncGamers Member

Can you please elaborate on the hit recovery section? I don't get that part.

11. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

I know that if you do enough damage to a monster, they will get put into hit recovery. I'm not sure how this works, though - is it a % of their total life?

12. sirpoopsalot

Yes, I believe it's 1/12th (or 8.333%) of their maximum life. Or greater.

So, for a monster that has 10000 life, you'd need to do at least 834 final damage in one attack to force them into hit recovery. (by "final damage", I mean after resistances and everything else are factored in... the amount of life removed from them by your attack).

That 1/12 is for monsters and players... (so if a single monster attack can remove 1/12th of your life, you get forced into hit recovery).

Invitus, basically, my point was that if you can get your Nova damage high enough to force monsters into hit recovery, you can keep them there by spamming Nova, and it's almost like you've completely stun-locked the entire crowd. Stunned monsters are safe monsters, and they quickly become dead monsters.

As an example, I'll use my current WSK & Baal running sorceress (200 FCR, Nova & Fireball, primarily Nova). She does around 1300 Nova damage, and has -20% Enemy Lightning Resistance from her Griffon's Eye. She does full-clears, not just minion/Baal runs, so she faces a lot of different monster types.

For many of the monsters that she faces regularly (Flayers, Succubi, Ghosts, Serpents, and Abyss Knights), she does enough Nova damage with each cast that she forces them into hit recovery (by removing more than 1/12th of their life). So if she sees a pack of these monsters, she literally will teleport directly into the middle of them and start casting Nova at her fastest speed. Most sorcs (obviously) find it dangerous to use this tactic, but it works perfectly for her because the monsters all go into hit recovery (i.e. they're stunned). For the most part, I can cast Nova faster than they can recover from the Nova and attack me. So, I just keep casting Nova, they stay entirely stunned and immobile (i.e. they're stuck in hit recovery), and after a second or two, they die because of the accumulated damage from my Novas. Very safe, and very fast (and very fun).

However, this doesn't work for a few of the higher-life / higher-lightning-resistance monsters like Pit Lords (read: the 4th wave of minions). Since my damage is too low to force them into hit recovery, teleporting in the middle of their pack and spamming Nova is a virtual suicide, since I can't stun them with hit-recovery, they're still able to attack me while I'm attacking them. So for these guys, I teleport near the edge of their pack, and pick away at them from there (and retreat a couple of paces when they try swarm me).

So, in summary, when I can consistently force hit recovery with my Novas, it's a lot safer for me to play very aggressively. And when I can't force hit recovery, I have to play much more defensively to remain safe.

13. Invitus

Invitus IncGamers Member

Oh I see now. So I can start for my maxed nova/blaze sorc now.

14. vcgg

vcgg IncGamers Member

ever think of blaze and frozen orb? i think ima make it :D

15. redground

redground IncGamers Member

i would like to make a inferno nova sorc, but i heard that inferno has a bug that makes its dmg pretty low.

16. Niniux

Niniux IncGamers Member

Instead of using TS with Blaze/Nova, I'd use ES so you don't have to worry about taking hits and could use your abilities more effectively.

17. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Before I came to these forums, I used blaze on all my sorcs. I was very stupid back then, and my first sorc was a blaze/glacial spike sorc, and my second one was a blaze/chain lightning sorc. Although I had never pressed the bnet button, meaning I hadn't downloaded a patch, meaning there were no synergies. It was also classic

Still, blaze is a very good skill, and underrated. There is no better skill against andariel. Activate blaze, run around in circles around that blood pool, and you will laugh your *** off how easy it is to kill her.

18. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

There's nothing wrong with using skills that aren't cookie-cutter. I've used Thunderstorm in the past in combination with Frozen Orb. It didnt do a lot of dmg but it did take care of cold immunes (eventually). I've never used Blaze, but if you don't mind running away from monsters all the time I say go for it.

19. Tacothedeep

Tacothedeep IncGamers Member

I laughed out loud reading the blaze/glacial spike sorc! Probably couldn't imagine a worse sorc build (besides putting random points into everything). Do any two skills synergize (the word, not the diablo term) worse than blaze and glacial spike? :crazyeyes:

20. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Hahaha, so true, I chuckled.