Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How viable is a merc with no leech?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by allio, Mar 30, 2004.

1. allio

allio IncGamers Member

How viable is a merc with no leech?

I see all the time that the most important thing your mercenary can have is leech, leech, leech - but now that I have the runes for a Delerium helm, I'm really quite tempted to make one, as the mods on it look quite fun. However, without his Tal's hat, he'll have precisely 0 leech. He's currently getting on dandily, doing 7k damage with his ethereal crescent moon colossus voulge and never dying in the pit. Before I use up my highest rune, is anybody else running with a leechless merc? I'd really prefer to not have to shove purples at him all day long ;)

Leech isn't happening in his weapon (runeword), and I'm not aware of anything that can give leech in armour.

Edit: please don't say Chains of Honour, I don't even know what a Ber looks like :p

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

I've never had a problem with a zero-leeching merc, although it often means that he consumes a steady flow of red and purple potions.

In most cases (even for my characters themselves) I look at leech as being a nice bonus, but no substitute for a beltful of potions.

3. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Skin of the Flayed one has 5-7% LL. You might want to upgrade it though.

--T

4. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

I think it depends a little bit on what character you are playing. A cleric paladin will have no problems keeping a merc alive. Or a Barbarian with maxed BO should give your merc a good life boost as will oak sage. Ask yourself how buffed is your merc?

Why not just throw a helmet without leech on and run the pit a couple of times and see how he does. Ist runes are not to be wasted, but I liked the Delirium runeword when I tried it out so it wouldn't be a bad use for it.

5. Bull(R)

Bull(R) IncGamers Member

Leech isnt NEEDED on a merc.. most of the times my merc can be given red pots (doesnt even need purples) from my belt, and he wont die.

Pretty much the only thing that kills poor Mizan/Razan (yes I only use 2 different merc names on all my chars :uhhuh: ) is Iron Maiden, which kills them pretty much sooner than I notice they have it. Leech doesnt help vs IM... so its not necessary, its a bonus though since you can pay less attention to your mercs health

6. allio

allio IncGamers Member

Good advice, thanks all :)

My character is a hammerdin who runs the pit nicely, but I don't think that would help out the poor old merc too much - other than concentration. Skin of the Flayed one is a no-go - he needs the +20 str he gets from his Griswold's Heart to hold his weapon - plus the 3 sockets give him 75 mf.

I think I'll go ahead and make the helm, but drop it on another merc - I've realised that Mind blast might be quite a liability in the pit, where your aim is to kill everything, not wait around for them to become an enemy again :p

Thanks again, I'll see how I get on.

7. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Go for it. Delirium is absolutely amazing for crowd control. You'll easily be able to feed him pots to keep him alive. I have a non-leeching Delirium-wearing merc ATM and he doesn't have too many problems because of how infrequenly he's hit. (also wearing upgraded shaft, Reaper's. Truly a fireworks merc. :))

8. Bull(R)

Bull(R) IncGamers Member

You used 3 ists on a griswold armor (3x25=75)... why wouldn't you use 3 ptopazes (which would give 72mf) unless thats what you meant. :scratch:

9. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

CHAIN OF HONOR D00D!!!!111ONEONE

Hehe just kidding. :p

From exp, while delirium is a nice one, it dosen't always work. The monster just pick a random target, it might as well be you or your merc. And sometimes in tight area or too few monster it dosen't work well. This is especially true if you have another curse cast to help you out such as life tap or decrepify, they just overwrite each other constantly, and could be a pain in the behind.

10. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Personally, if you have something to take the heat off your merc, leech isn't necessary. Since you're a hammerdin, I don't think it matters too much, all the monsters will be dead soon enough :lol: Though if you're using him to get the last kill, I think some leech somewhere is pretty impt. Saves you time from buying potions.

Just pay attention to him more often.

11. allio

allio IncGamers Member

Whoops, believe me, I meant the ptopazes :p

I think I'll go ahead and make the runeword - if it completely fails to work on a merc, I have a few characters who could probably make good use of it. I'm not going to hang around waiting for a Ber ;)

I guess I could also swap out his weapon for a Bonehew or something with an Amn in it if he has trouble.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Boneflesh (probably best upgraded, maybe twice) gets you 5% leech and 25% open wounds to boot. Like Doc says, SotFO gets you 5%-7% leech and you also have some replenish there. If you're swimming in Dol runes those give a bit of replenish as well.

13. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

My merc die more often with higher damage weapon, but lower LL. My merc almost never dies with his lower damage "The Meat Scraper", only OK will kill him. but dies rather often with stormspire. He has no PDR, wear crown of thieves.

I'm so used to leave my merc alone, so LL is very important in my case.