Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How viable are melee summoners ?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Bignerdmatt, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

How viable are melee summoners ?

After reading the FAQ's and whatnot, Ive wondered how good a melee summoner would be ? I dont mind dying a few times, im playing to have fun and not to be "teh ubar leet playa".

If memory serves me correctly (*cue iron chef music*) spears are STR based weapons. Now If I were to pump str and vit, I could basically wear some big armor and carry a big ol pokey stick of death.

The life and defense would help me (theoretically) in aiding my minions. I like to jump in and mix it up.

Since I wouldnt be putting much in dex, HoW would compensate my AR.

Id plan on getting a holy freeze merc, slowing fools down and letting me and my crew mow them down.

I mentioned before I dont mind dying, but if this build couldnt take out a quill rat with aids then Id probably not want to make it. Is it worth a shot ?

And if not polearms, should I consider a shield at least ? I hate having a calculator with me just to play a game so I can see if Ill block enough, however i do like the idea of added resistance.

So Im looking at either blocking and a weak weapon or a big badass stick of death and a ton of life.

How does this all sound ? (just got off an 8 hour shift at wal-mart... needs beer and D2)

2. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure you don't need a shield, if you ever take too much damage, fall back and let your minions take care of the crowd for awhile. It helps a lot.

Also, I recommend the Might merc, but the Holy Freeze merc works really well too. It depends mainly on preference.

I have just a pure summoner, and he works really well. I haven't put any melee on my summoner yet, so I can't recommend any skills for your melee attacks. I recommend getting maxed Bear and Dire Wolves, then a few points in HoW for damage, and just use Holy Freeze merc.

Go with huge life and huge spear. You should be the most powerful of your army, after all. I find that using Dire Wolves is better for soloing purposes due to more target = more tanks. In parties, that isn't much of a problem, so Bears are awesome for smacking down enemies and even bosses.

3. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I had a melementalist in 1.09 and he reached about lvl 85 and did ok back then. I am sure he could do very well in 1.1 also especially thanks to the new runewords. Something as simple as passion I believe it is could let you attack with zeal or even better zerk for pi monsters.

4. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

i'm in hell act4 right now and this is my build so far: use jalam's mane for helm with 5 pieces of the ik set (gloves, maul, boots, belt, armor) i like to kick some butt to, cant leave all the glory to my pets. max: spirit wolves, dire wolves, grizzly, how, poison creeper, and the rest in ravens. merc is holy freeze, i like him the best because he can slow everything down and with a reapers toll they crawl. good for when fighting pi's since me and my merc will be the only one doing any kind of damage to them.

5. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

Awesome, thanks for the input.

Since im starting pure, Im not looking for gear recommendations. Im aware of the poision creeper bug, but I dont want to use it.

My skill allocation-

20 Spirit Wolf
    20 Dire Wolf
    20 Summon Grizzly
    20 Heart of Wolverine
    20 Poison Creeper
    6 Spirit of the Barbs

Maxing all three summons for synnergy bonuses. 20 in creeper for the backup (Ill probably max it later on, focusing on wolves first for the help). The 6 in barbs is for a "backup", if i get swampped or whatnot.

Im thinking for my stat layout, 2 str 2 vit and 1 dex. Im hoping the HoW can cover for my lack of AR.

6. luiccn

luiccn IncGamers Member

wuts is that psn creeper bug?