Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how to survive NM as a zealot paladin?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by imacoolboy, Jul 1, 2016.

1. imacoolboy

imacoolboy IncGamers Member

Hi all,

I started my first single player character a few days ago as a zealot paladin. I tried to play as untwinked as possible (also there is no other way to twink since I only have one character). I finished normal last night but NM is killing me, mainly because of my piss-poor damage output. My current gears are

Helm: rare great helm, +15 resis to fire/poison/lightning, -25% poison
    weapon: Rixots's keen (pretty pathetic huh...) or Trancred's crowbill
    shield: steelclash
    armor: rare breast plate, +20 light/cold resist, +17 FHR,
    amy: +11 cold resis
    glove: bloodfist
    boots: rare greaves, +20 lightning reis, half freeze
    belt: rare heav belt, +23 lightning resis
    rings: rare, provide +20 cold/light/poison resis in total
    charms: mainly resis and FHR

I also obtained the following runes so far:
    amn
    el
    eld
    eth
    ith
    nef
    tal
    thul
    tir

My current character lvl is ~40. hp is 550. skills are:
    15 fanaticism
    5 sacrifice
    5 zeal
    1 holy shield

So what are you guys' suggestion? Should I keep running Baal or Meph in normal until I get some decent unique weapon? Should I make a runeword?

BTW I play players 8 setting. THank you.

2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

3. Treeharl

Treeharl IncGamers Member

First advise since you're playing untweaked, run baal normal till lvl 50-52. If I where you I would play as a hdin at your lvl and respec into a zealer at lvl 80 when you have apropriate gear (but this is easy mode). Then just keep running lower kurast hell for a Lo and build yourself a grief pb. After you get grief, you can farm wherever you want.

4. imacoolboy

what socketed weapon do you think I should use at this stage (for example do I need to upgrade it)? and where do you think is the best location to find them?

5. imacoolboy

grief in a single player mode? Is that even statistically possible?

6. Treeharl

Treeharl IncGamers Member

It is possible, read the stickies here on the forum as they provide you with information about how to get a grief on single player. But since grief is far away yet, I think you should just respec and build a (boring) hdin and then respec aigain after you get your Lo and 5 socked pb

7. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Sticking to zealot isn't really hard until you hit hell, and even then it's doable if you find/make a good weapon.

As for base, just take any exceptional (not normal or elite which you can't get yet) weapon that matches the base type for the runeword and has enough sockets.

I don't think hammerdin is going to go smoothly unless you want to constantly be chugging potions, but I don't have much experience with them.

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I was also a fan of Steel. But given that you have the runes, the two runewords pharphis suggest are probably better bets.

There are a couple of untwinked MFing guides in the Stickies which are helpful. Top two under the spoiler tag in this link.

While a lot of people like hammerdins, I admit that I wanted to stab mine in the eye. I found the zealot easier to play (particularly with some crushing blow and a point in smite). :D

9. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Fanatic Zealot is pretty rough going untwinked; frost zealot is definitely the easiest paladin build to start out with. That said, definitely possible to make a go of it with the fana zealot. Just remember that a melee character needs the following things: Cannot Be Frozen, life leech and as much damage as possible.

As pharphis pointed out, you need a new weapon. King's Grace would be very nice if you can make one, though eventually you'll probably want to run NM Meph a little for something else.

Other than that, I'd make a "Rhyme" as fast as I possibly could. "Stealth" armor and "Lore" helm would also be on my list, and I definitely suggest paying some attention to your merc's weapon, "Strength" or "Malice" being decent options.

As for where to run: you're pretty low level, I'd suggest running Normal Pindle up to level 42 and then doing Normal Baal runs until at least level 50. It's a pretty big penalty when you move on to NM and being much higher level than them will help a ton, plus maybe you get a useful drop. Socketed items can drop this way, which can help with the finding a weapon thing (though as pharphis says, literally something from a vendor is better than you have now.)

I wouldn't respc to hammerdin since an untwinked hammerdin should be really no less difficult than an untwinked fana zealot unless you have a good deal of experience with hammerdins (both noticeably tougher than a frost zealot) and even if you choose to use the Rune-word mod which would let you make a Grief, being able to do that is a very long way off. Focus on just filling in the requirements for a good melee character (again, CBF, life leech and damage) while adding in as much resistance as you can from other slots and charms.

T72on1, pharphis and Smancer like this.
  10. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

Hey there,

Since melee characters are gear dependent, your gear is obviously your weak point right now. It's actually extremely poor even for normal.

Follow my advice and pick a two-handed weapon since it will offer you much much more damage killing monsters extremely fast. Later on you should switch to one hand weapon but for the time being it will be much easier to stick with a 2-handed.

Go to a vendor and buy a Maul for example. Even at low levels a zealot can deal heavy damage with a mediocre weapon. Go back at Act5 with players 8 settings and start running areas like the frigid highlands, pindleskin (if you have the portal opened) and baal if you can handle him. You will get some easy levels fast.

At this point also try to find a ring with life steal such as cathans ring. It will keep you alive.

Up to hell untwinked you shouldn't have a problem. Your gear is just very poor. Replace your weapon and you will already see an enormous change. Insight is another extremely cheap yet powerful weapon. Try to make one for yourself or your hireling or even for both if you can manage. Don't be afraid to use 2-handed weapon.

11. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

First off, while it can be helpful to run bosses/areas, or even backtrack to normal to do that, you don't have to. It will be difficult, but if you take it slow and keep your eyes open you can upgrade your gear as you progress.

The low level rune words suggested would definitely be helpful, but waiting for the right socketed item can be a pain. Your other options are gambling (definitely viable), shopping (surprisingly nice, though not so much for weapons) and making your own. Are you using a muling program (GoMule or ATMA)? Because that can really dictate what direction you head in for gear improvement. Usually at the start of NM I'm acquiring/cubing some perfect gems to start crafting.

I have yet to see any "Ferocious" weapons (+100-200% ED - Enhanced Damage) spawn on exceptional grade weapons from Charsi in NM, but maybe it can happen. But the point is you can probably buy a weapon with better damage. Attack speed will be helpful, as will life steal. One way for a nice weapon is to craft one: hit power weapons would be great for a zealot (an exceptional scepter or a knout are good options for early NM). Making a blood axe could also be nice, as both roll with auto +30-60% ED. Basic ingredients are a magic item (which you can gamble), any jewel, the right rune and a pgem (probably your limiting factor at this time).

Gamble boots, maybe gloves (your bloodfists are pretty solid but won't be as helpful when you're doing more damage). Replace gear as you can, wear magic find when you don't have anything better or your stats are already good enough to survive. Cube your rings into amulets and vice versa, you'll eventually get some with magic find. Questing with magic find gear on is the balancing act of untwinked play, and I would say your biggest focus after getting a better weapon. It will lead to more loot, and eventually a game-changer of an item for you character.

Don't neglect your mercenary, either. A decently equipped merc can carry you through most of NM. Desert mercs are the most popular with their little auras, and you can make a savage exceptional polearm (+60-80%) damage with a cube recipe (staff, kris, belt and diamond - my vote for weirdest, most useful cube recipe).

Most importantly: have fun :)

12. imacoolboy

Thank you all for all the advices. I gambled a rare axe tonight and my damage finally hits 600. I also managed not to die during baal run. I think I'll start NM when I hit clvl 55

pharphis likes this.
  13. imacoolboy

I still would like to know which place is the best to find good socket weapon. someone suggested arcane sanctuary, which I have never been aware of as a MF place.

14. Delsy

Delsy IncGamers Member

Forget socketed weapon as untwinked. There is very low chance you will find anything useful IMO.

The best way to get a good weapon is to uprgrade a rare or unique one. So pick those and upgrade one with high dmg mod. Look up the recipes. A good weapon is a TOP priority for a zealot.

Similarilly, look for the best dmg weapon for your merc. With fanaticism, he will clear all the NM on his own.

You need life leech. Look for Sigon set gloves combo for example, it is great.

Lastly, you need high block chance. Rhyme RW in a pally shield is ideal, as it has also an invaluable CBF mod, so look for those.

pharphis likes this.