Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to spend 27 skill points....?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Ninety-nine, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Ninety-nine

Ninety-nine IncGamers Member

How to spend 27 skill points....?

I've scrimped and saved with my level 74 Amazon, and made it to Hell. I've basically maxed Lightning Fury and gotten Valkyrie to 17 and Pierce to 8ish, with everything else a prerequisite.

So now, I'm crashing against those lighting immunes in Hell and need to spend my 27 saved points. Where should I put them?

This is essentially an untwinked build, Hardcore. I've found a lot of the Unique weapons for normal and exceptional varieties (bows and spears in particular), and have only runes 1-15 to work with. I've got a Might merc with a Passion Thresher (odd, yeah, but it's the way the runes appeared to give me a big damage weapon).

Which way do I go? Poison, or bow?

Thanks,

2. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

dodge,evade,avoid?

3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Almost all Passive skills are synergies for your Valk so maybe you should try adding more into Penetrate, Critical Strike and D/A/E (you will probably still want some of those 27 points for Lightning skill synergies, so don't go overboard). Then you can try Jabbing the LI's (Critical and Penetrate will help you here) with your highest damage weapon while your Valkyrie (aka uber tank) and merc whale on 'em. D/A/E will keep you and your Valk alive longer. Also, using Decoy can take the heat off you for long enough to kill something (and adds life to your Valk) but a Lvl 1 Decoy doesn't last long enough so...

Other than that, I expect everyone will tell you to Jab with a Demon Arch and Tiamat or pump a Bow skill.

If you really want to live dangerously you could take the Passion Thresher off your merc and Zeal the LI's, but your Passives won't be high enough for this in HC.

4. bergbusen

bergbusen IncGamers Member

a guick questin, why everybody always put 17 in valkyr. i was thinking about go lvl 30 and max decoy for synergy. Strafe will be main attack.

5. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

at slvl 17, valk upgrades her weapon from exceptional to elite type .. the mods will still be random but the base weapon has much higher damage. basically, at level 17 she increases her killing speed by alot, and there are no significant upgrades in gear past that

6. Sokar Rostau

Most people only take Valk to 17 so they can scrimp 3 points to place into a synergy.

Maxing Decoy isn't so great for PvM, for PvP it could be useful. I have 5 hard points in Decoy and my maxed Valk usually only dies to Iron Maiden. At slvl 30 your Valk should have 4752 life with maxed Decoy which gives 1672 extra life. Decoy does give your Valk an extra 2% All Resist per level but this becomes redundant past Decoy slvl 13 (1056 extra life to your Valk) because a Valk can only have 85% Resist All. Personally I only take Decoy to slvl 5 because that's 440 extra Life and 10% All Resist for my Valk and the Decoy herself has more than enough duration and extra life to hold most monsters at bay with +skills (though my Decoy does suffer from a lack of Resists at times, especially against Asn's).

Valkyrie is one of those weird skills that Blizzard gave so many synergies to it's impossible to max. My maxed Valk has slvl 20 Dodge, 20 Avoid, 20 Penetrate, 15(?) Evade, 5 Critical Strike and 5 Decoy and given enough time (and the right equipment) she can kill anything, she even killed a Minion of Destruction by herself once (with the help of a Might Aura and a Spirit of Wolverine). If you put more hard points into Critical Strike than I did (mine has 42%, it's 68% when maxed) your Valk should have no troubles killing anything.

A Valkyrie gets 25% more Enhanced Damage per level - that's 400%ed at slvl 17 and 475%ed at slvl 20 and should work out around 725%ed at slvl 30 as opposed to 650%ed at slvl 27. Dunno about you but I would much rather her spawn with a Cruel Warpike at level 20 than level 17.

At slvl 17 a Valk's Magic Level is 73, while at slvl 20 it is 82. At slvl 20 she can get Condensing (Fire Damage) and Shocking (Lightning Damage) Prefixes on her weapon. For suffixes she can get Transcendence (+Min Damage).

At slvl 30 she should be able to spawn with Maiden's (+1 Zon Skills) and Valkyrie's (+2 Zon Skills) prefixes on Spears, Amulets and Circlets. For suffixes she can get a Lamprey or Vampire (not that that's of any use to her) Circlet, Amulet or Ring. I forget which of those three she doesn't have, I think it's the Ring.

If you need those three points for a synergy by all means don't put them into your Valk, but if you want to make the most out of the mightiest minion in the game max her out.

7. Ninety-nine

Thanks...

Thank you for the suggestions. The Dodge/Avoid/Evade thing certainly seems popular, but I have some difficulty understanding it, as the diminishing returns kick in hard past level 2 or so.

I'm unlikely to find any of the heavy items mentioned above for jabbing, but I did pick up a good Ceremonial Pike from Anya...slow but strong.

So poison just doesn't cut it, really? And if I went the bow route, should I be a mini-Strafezon? It's not that I or my Valkyrie are dying, it's just that I got to the Graveyard full of lightning immunes and was stopped cold....

Thanks again,

8. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

If ou decide to go with bows, try FA. It is a killer skill for a bowzon. At slvl 20, and a few points in CA for synergy you can stop nearly everything dead cold in their tracks.

9. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

I agree. FA doesnt require a big ass dmg bow so its nice for untwinked chars. And freezing enemies in their tracks is just great for HC players.
    If you decide to get it youll have maxed FA and CA at clvl **.

10. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

LF / FA is a very powerful combo, i would definately recommend it .. im planning on remaking mine with some better gear :)

11. Ninety-nine

Follow up....

Just some follow-up, since you guys were kind enough to give some advice.

Turns out most of my problems came from a simple source...pride :rolleyes: I thought I could push through Hell on players5. When I backed this to players2, things got a LOT easier.

But I went ahead and took some of the advice and maxed Valkyrie which gave her the near-immortality everyone talks about. After a few points in Dodge and Avoid, both of us were a bit less vulnerable to those archers (and I got more liberal with my slow missiles...what an incredible skill!)

For lightning immunes, at first, I tried the Passion Thresher...with the Wolverine out, and using the Berzerk or Zeal skill that comes with it, I could really dish the damage, but was a big fat target.

I looked at my treasure pile and pulled out the Hone Sundan (Unique Yari) and tried that next...it's got three sockets, so I dropped in a Shael and left the other two for some future upgrade. This weapon is seriously underrated. I think the goodness is in the Crushing Blow, but for whatever reason, it really works well.

Anyway, with plenty of skill points left, I'll probably chase the Freezing Arrow route if some awesome bow drops in my lap.

Final questions:

No one mentioned poison...I take it this is a waste of points.

What would you put in the remaining two sockets of the Hone Sundan? A perfect skull? Two more Shaels ;)

Cheers,

12. Dacar92

Are you playing single player, not on Bnet? If so, give me your e-mail address and I will send you a nice bow. :)

You won't regret the points in FA.

Give us the rundown on the current equipment you are using so we can tell if you need that extra sheal in that Hone Sudan.

13. Sokar Rostau

I was only half serious when I suggested the Passion, you don't have the D/A/E to use it safely, especially not Berszerk.

Poison can be useful but it's more of a PMH or OW kind of deal - the poison stops them regenerating. You really need to max both Poison skills for them to be effective killers.

As for the sockets, you should probably pu whatever you have that's useful in it, if that's Perfect Gems fine. Just make sure to save a Hel rune so when you have something you really want to put in you can unsocket it and you won't have wasted anything other than a Shael.

14. Dacar92

How do you do that "legally"?

15. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]"1 Hel Rune + Scroll of Town Portal + Any Socketed Item = Unsocket that item
    Warning: This will destroy any gems, runes, or jewels you have socketed. This is useful if you are not happy with the gems you have socketed and you want to socket the item in another way."

From the AS - it's one of the new to 1.10 cube recipes.

DudSpud

PS - Yes, the Hone Sundan is great. Yes, it is the CB. Yes, slow missles is great for archers, but so is Decoy - just drop one in their face while you and the valk run up and jab. This is the attack speed table for a Yari with Jab - the first column is percent IAS you have from any source, the second is the number of frames per attack, and the third column is the number of attacks per second. For me, its all about the crushing blow, so I would shael/IAS jewel it to get it to a good breakpoint, and then ED jewel or just wait for something good to drop...

[/size][/font][/size][/font] 0 %10.52.32 %102.55 %9.52.610 %92.715 %8.52.922 %83.130 %7.53.340 %73.556 %6.53.878 %64.1113 %5.54.5174 %55304 %4.55.5840 %46.

16. Ninety-nine

"Equipment," heh, heh

I'm kinda embarassed to post my equipment after reading other posts and realizing how wealthy everybody is, but...

Helm: 3 Topaz

Amulet/Ring: Angelic goodies
    Gloves/Belt/Boots: Sigon's stuff
    Other ring: Lightning resist and 4% life leech

Armor: Duriel's Shell

Weapon: Rare harpoon (upgraded from with 6% dual leech, some enhanced damage, big stack size)

Shield: Chromatic Gothic Shield of Deflecting with two perfect diamonds (sockets curtesy of Larzuk)

Switch: Hone Sundan with Shael as noted, or wands with various curses if I'm in the mood (Life Tap really keeps the merc happy!)

Anyway, I found all this stuff. The shield sorta surprised me...I was able to purchase a shield which really had all the mods you'd want on a shield--good block & high resists. The sets seem weak, I know, but they give me a lot of life, BIG attack bonus, 10% leech, 30% increased attack speed, and 100% magic find.

(The complete Angelic Set would be great through Nightmare if the weapon didn't suck so much!)

The only thing I'm missing is "plus skills" equipment, which I keep dreaming I'll gamble, but never do. I also keep hoping for good runes, but 4 half-hearted Countess runs led to 3 Els, 2 Elds, and a Tal :rolleyes:

(I appreciate the bow offer; my e-mail is michaelw *at* access4less.net)

BTW, the Passion thing could work on the right character, but NOT in Hardcore ;)

17. Dacar92

A bow has been sent to you. You will need ATMA to use it. It is for single player only.

Enjoy! :)

18. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

If you don't mind it being only one skill tree, you can buy gloves that have +3 to Spear (Lancer's) or +3 to PnM (Athlete's). These can also have the readiness/alacrity mods for 10/20 IAS. Just pop in and out of the poral near Anya until she trades you the right pair.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

19. Ninety-nine

Thanks!

You guys are great. I appreciate all the help. I'll try not to die :)