Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to speed up Warriv?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by buckies, Jul 10, 2010.

1. buckies

buckies IncGamers Member

How to speed up Warriv?

Hey,

Running AT at the moment and am pretty content with my times. However, I've seen vids where people use Warriv to go to Act 1 and waypoint from there to AT. Given I've only got War Travs for my FRW%, I'm keen to utilize this and shave 10 or so secs off my runs.

Problem: Going from Warriv to Act 1 takes about 10-20 seconds, making it uneconomical to use him.

My question is why? If I go from the waypoint to other acts it's an instantaneous change, so why is going via Warriv so much longer for effectively the same process?

Granted my Macbook ain't the fastest computer to run D2 on, but it's got a decent Geforce in it as far as laptops go, 4GB of Ram, 2.2 Ghz dual core.

I'm hoping there's some sort of system tweak that can be run to speed up the Warriv process. I already play windowed, but with sound (I like to hear my charms and jewels drop).

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Re: How to speed up Warriv?

I've personally never understood why DII runs so slowly on modern computers. I still have problems with shenk's explosion, even with a computer 100s of times more powerful than the machine I first played LOD on. So, I don't think it's settings or anything you can do. Some systems just don't react well to DII's command stucture.

You'll not save 10 seconds off your runs even if you find a way to make it instant. There's no way it takes 10 seconds to get from your spawn to the portal in Act II.

3. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Nothing really stands out as a cause for what you describe.

On my iMac I get near instantaneous act changes with the WP and Warriv. I also didn't see any difference between windowed mode and full screen. (I'm not convinced windowed mode helps mac users any on the speed front. Unless something changed in the 1.12 or 1.13 patch, it makes D2 run in software mode for graphics, which can actually reduce performance. I know my various macs run hotter when I'm in windowed mode.)

So, there probably isn't much you can do about it.

Harmony bow on switch for running?

4. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

Same thing here. Certain events (Shenk's death for example) and certain area transitions always result in a lag/freeze on my comp no matter what I've tried to alleviate the problem... and I have a pretty nice machine.
    +1 on the Harmony bow on switch unless you're using switch for some other prebuff such as CtA, or ES weapon...

5. Cattleya

Honestly, I would say that neither CtA nor ES are really needed for AT. So, I'd still go with Harmony. :)

6. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

I would tend to agree with you!

7. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Have you copied over all the mpq files from the cd?

8. buckies

buckies IncGamers Member

Bah. I was hoping someone else had experienced this specific event and made a tweak to enhance/avoid it.

My install's pretty bread and butter, bar the Runemod being applied. I'm still scratching my head and cursing my slow FRW with every run :(

9. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Are any of you playing in direct3d mode? My computer had enourmous performance problems when in direct3d, especially in act3 jungles, Tal Rasha's chamber and the pentagram in the chaos sanctuary. Actually, pretty much only in those areas. I'm playing in DirectDraw now.

10. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Just make a portal just before Shenk dies step through and back to avoid in HC hell the very real danger of a cursed slinger boss or similar hitting you whilst you can't react.

Warriv is useful to save time after killing Andariel. Go to him in the rogue camp, then again in Lut Gholein the use the Rogue camp Wp to go to the Lut Gholein Wp et voila ....several seconds saved!

11. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

My bet is that there's a file that it can't find, or that a file is corrupt and it has to go to disk to find it. A full re-install would fix this. Anything that "takes a lot of time" is usually a hunt for a file.

12. Cattleya

Along those lines, if you discover that this is indeed your problem, it's definitely time to give your computer some TLC. If this is a corruption problem, when you couple that with your GoMule corruption earlier, it's a sign of a sick hard drive.

Boot up from your Snow Leopard CD and use Disk Utility to run a check of your drive. (If it finds stuff, make sure you rerun the took after it's made its fixes. That can sometime uncover other issues, so you should always repeat the process until no issues come up.)

You might also want to find some 3rd party programs that can do more through checks. It's been a while since I've needed any of them, so I can't really make a recommendation there, but I used to use Norton in the past.

13. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

For those of you wondering why diablo 2 doesn't work with modern machines, it has to do with the built in sprite limit. Since it was programmed for older PC's, the max sprite limit on the screen at any time is extremely low. When you pass the sprite limit the game slows down (and things start disappearing off the screen for example). The game lags even if your computer is running perfectly fine and can handle the load.

Using a glide wrapper can help, but it only works for single player (probably not an issue with you guys!).