Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how to socket +% damage Jewel

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by mxxerr, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mxxerr

mxxerr Diabloii.Net Member

how to socket +% damage Jewel

I have two questions.
    1. I have a +% damage to demon Jewel. what is the difference between +% enhanced damage and +% damage? Is ED to all monster?
    2. Some armor or glave has the mode of "+% damage", how this was applied to the tatal damage? If I want to add a +%damage jewel to a socket, should I put it on weapon, or on armor/helm? which will yield more total damage?

Thanks.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

1. Not completely sure what you're talking about here... the mods you mention seem exactly the same... If you're talking about the difference between +% enhanced dmg to demons and regular +%enhanced dmg, then the only difference is that enhanced dmg to demons is only applied when attacking demon type creatures (doh!) and +%enhanced dmg works against all creatures.

2. As for the glove I think you're talking about Laying Of Hands or Steelrend... not completely sure. But they each do the same except one is against demons and the other is against all monsters as stated above... The %Enhanced damage is calculated of your base weapon damage... so if you had a sword that did 100 damage and used a pair of gloves that did 20% enhanced damage your total damage would be 120... simple.

3. An +%enhanced damage jewel would do most good socketed in a weapon... When socketed in a weapon it will increase that weapons base damage by the listed percentage...

A sword that does 100 damage socketed with a 20% jewel would do 120 which can be further increased by your strength, auras like might and deadly strike. If you socket the jewel in an armour/helm/shield, the enhanced dmg will work like the gloves in my number 2 point. There is a bug concerning +%enhanced dmg/+damage so that if both mods are present on the same jewel they won't work properly when socketed in armour/shield/helm... although I'm not completely sure what the results ae going to be, just don't do it.

Hope this helps.

3. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle Diabloii.Net Member

As Chimera said, +xx%ED jewels work against all monsters: Demon, Undead, and Animal (if a monster doesn't specifically say Demon or Undead, then it is of type Animal.)

I'm going to try to explain how the ED jewels work in weapons and armor a little better.

%ED jewels socketed in weapons adds onto whatever %ED the weapon already has. If you have a sword with 150% ED and you socket it with a 30% ED jewel, then you'll have a new sword with 180% ED.

When %ED jewels are socketed in armor, the % is not added to the weapon itself. This % gets added in later in the computation for damage at the same type as stat bonuses and auras and any other off-weapon ED (like Steelrends).

%ED to demons/undead is always treated as off-weapon ED, no matter if it's socketed in a weapon or armor (like laying of hands). It only comes into play when you are attacking the correct monster type (demon/undead).

To answer your question: In general, %ED on weapons does more damage than %ED on armor. %ED to demons/undead does the same amount of damage whether it's armor or weapon, so most people would socket these in armor types and save the weapon socket for straight %ED.

A quick simplified example. You have a sword with base damage 10-10. It has 100% ED. You have 200 strength (equivalent to 200% ED bonus). You have a 40% ED jewel you haven't socketed yet. Assuming no other damage modifiers (+min/max, +elemental, auras, etc...).

total damage = base damage * (1+ weapon ED%) * (1 + str bonus + off weapon ED%)

total sword damage = 10*(1+100%)*(1+200%) = 60 damage
    sword w/ jewel = 10*(1+100%)*(1+200%+40%) = 68 damage
    sword (jewel in armor) = 10*(1+100%+40%)*(1+200%) = 72 damage

(if the Jewel were 40% ED to demons, then you'd do 60 damage to animals and undead all the time, and 68 damage to demons whether it was in armor or weapon)

When other nonweapon ED comes into play (more str, auras, armors with %ED, %ED to demons/undead), the damage disparity grows much larger.

I hope that helps.

4. mxxerr

mxxerr Diabloii.Net Member

Thank both of you. Where you got these information?

I guess you meant to say sword w/ jewel = 72 and sword with jewel in armor = 68.