Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to socket Aldur's Weapon?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by WinterMorana, Apr 1, 2005.

1. WinterMorana

WinterMorana IncGamers Member

How to socket Aldur's Weapon?

I have noticed that Aldur's Rhythm is quite often 3 socketed. I feel new to this though I have been playing for awhile. My question is this. What runes, jewels, gems or any combination there of is recommended to socket the weapon with? My Druid is an elemental druid thus far at lvl 78 with hurricane maxed.

2. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum!!

It would be easier to help if we knew your whole set up of skills and gear. As a rule people tend not to use the aldurs set since it is easily the weakess of the sets in this game.

3. MightyTitans

MightyTitans IncGamers Member

One can easily beat the game with aldurs set however.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Probably but the more people in the games you play the less you will be killing.

5. WinterMorana

To be honest the Druid is a friend's. She likes certain equipment because of the way it looks. You understand how we girls are sometimes. I am building my own Druid and thought perhaps I should know how to socket the weapon.

Here are the specs you requested for my friends Druid:

Full Aldur's Watchtower -the Helm is 2 soceted and filled with 2 P Topaz
    Ghoul Talisman Ammy - +1 Druid Skills All Resists 11% except lightening which is 50% Magic dmg reduced by 1
    Lance Guard Shield - this is the piece she likes the way it looks
    Angelic Ring - though I'm looking for something else to replace it for her.
    Manald Ring
    Sigon's belt and gloves left over from having full Sigon's before getting Aldur's

Skill Tree
    at least one point in everything as it was her first Char and she wanted to try everything out. Equipement boosts the one point to 5 per.

Hurricane lvl 25
    Armageddon lvl 17
    Tornado lvl 7
    Twister lvl 8
    Cyclone Armor lvl 9
    Grizzly lvl 20

Everything else is either a 5 or 6.

I hope this helps and Thanks for the Welcome. Hopefully, this forum will help me not feel so blonde while listening to others chat in the game. So many acronyms to learn and much more to just placing points where ever you feel like it. Of course my next question is a blonde one too. What makes items Godly? LOL. Anyway, heres to help with the first question. And thanks for your time.

Winter :thanks:

6. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Godly just means super rare and super powerful. Don't confuse it with the armor prefix which means enhanced defense...

And that Druid is cool, but with one point in everything it might be difficult to do well with it. Aldur's is best used on a Werewolf, I think. With elemental skills like that you ned +skills, faster cast rate, and those kinds of mods, which Aldur's doesn't have a ton of. But maybe a Meleementalist? (Melee attack + casting)

7. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Always nice to see hot girls playing Diablo:)

Godly +101-200% Defense...It's just a magical prefix like any other...Or what Proudfoot said, something really really good.

I think that you have spread your points a little thin...I also agree with Proudfoot that a Werewolf would be best suited for this build. Someone in the single player forum played through with a Wind Druid using Aldur's but if you're relatively new to this game..I wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done.

A basic skill approach is

Lycanthropy 20
    Werewolf 20
    Fury 20
    Oak Sage 20
    Grizzly 1
    Carrion Vine 1

If you complete Hell playing normally you should be able to complete the build when you defeat Baal. I think you're going to have a difficult time in Hell with your current build...especially if it's your first time:(....

A werewolf using IK (Immortal King...sorry about the acronyms:)) maul and pieces of the Immortalk King set...boots, gloves,belt is very cool and shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hope you're not discouraged by your beginners troubles...because druids are an awesome class, both melee and caster.

And welcome to the forums:)

8. WinterMorana

Actually this Druid isn't too bad. And beginners troubles are the most fun of all. Its what drove me here. Seeking answers and peeps who are into this for the fun of it. I don't mind saying I hate dying and it pisses me off when I do, however, I just res and go on figuring out a way to do it better. Heh, my sorce picked up IK gloves so I transfered them to the Druid. Amazing how a little change like that can make a difference. Oh and btw I'm not too bad picking up on the acronyms. Its the Cta and the Hoto that I have to look up and remember what peeps are talking about. Its the multi faceted jewels and the attributes connencted to items that gets confusing after a while. Took me a bit to figure out GCs were Grand Charms. Lol. Think I'd get that one sooner.

Anyway, so any suggestions on the first question I posed? What should I socket Aldur's Weapon with? Of course, then my next question will be how do I find those hi runes? Most everything I have I found. Including full Aldur's, full IK and full Trangs. I finally had to trade for Tal's armour but found the rest on my own. I am kinda curious about using full sets at the moment. However, I've got some nice uniques stashed to experiment with as well.

And again thanks for the Welcome. And for anyone's curiosity I play on US West bnet. Just look for derivatives of Winter. ie Morana

:D Winter

9. Chimaira

If you've played long enough to acquire full IK, Trangs and Aldurs...you really should know more about the game:)

The whole acronym thing can get confusing, but after a while it's second nature..CTA=Call To Arms runeword...HOTO = Heart Of The Oak runeword.

Aldur's Weapon is best socketed with Shael runes...for a melee build...for a caster build it's a bit more tricky...None of the runes are really good, and those that are nice are very rare...

Tir: +2 mana per kill...okay bonus but not really worth it.
    Io, Lum, Ko, Fal: Gives +10 to str/dex/vit/enr but are kind of rare
    Lem, Ist: For magic/gold find...best option if you can get it, but even rarer.

Otherwise look for jewels...you can get +15% resist all jewels that would be very nice. You can also get magic find jewels.

If you want to play around with full sets....Tal Rasha, IK and Trangs are probably the best ones, which coincidently you have:).

10. WinterMorana

Hey thanks for the advice. I have most of those runes in a mule and will have to confer with the friend before I socket hers. However, I will be looking for the resist jewels for my Druid.

You're right about I should know more by now. However, I played a long long time in private games by myself. I got tired of those peeps after finding out I was a girl showing up in all my games following me around. After all I'm there to play a game not get laid. And I don't even tell I'm a girl anymore. At least not in game play. I had to wonder out of all the peeps playing how did I find the stalkers?!?!?

Now that I've come out of my hiding place I found a whole new language and I'm learning slowly. Lol I keep a list of the runewords close by. I guess the drive to learn more has outlasted the stalkers and now the game is fun again. I have two close friends I play with and we share our accounts. I've been working on an MF sorce and give what I find to them. Aldur's to Rock, and Trangs to Amon. Me I kept the Tal's. and IK.

I'm sure I'll be here often and with lots of questions. I'll check the threads first for answers.

Winter

11. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

I've got an Aldur going myself, and I've been having a look at the IAS on TheDragoon's site. Trouble is that shaeling the weapon doesn't increase the attack speed in wereform, by the looks of things. Is the calculator possibly wrong? Is there something better to stick in the weapon? Apparently 3 eths is a good (and very cheap) choice.

12. BattleQueen

BattleQueen IncGamers Member

Funny how I've been asking myself the exact same question but more often han not, end up using alternative weapons. But if your friend likes the looks of Aldur's mace & doesn't actually use it for attacks, her options are limitless. It's all good. What does she need more? Resists? Life?

If I were her, I'd find 3 rare jewels with nice useful mods like + resists, FHR, +life, + strength/dex, % dmg goes to Mana etc. I like the fact that when players inspect one of my rare-socketed item and see all these extra mods and they go... Whoa! Awesome. What did u socket it with? :lol: Even if she screws up the socketing.. it's ok; Aldur's weapon is a dime a dozen.

...and yeah, Morana, I undstd the bit abt 'stalking'. I once had a player dropping in on me, bearing MF drops as though they're wedding gifts. :lol: All because of my character's feminine nickname. Perhaps these boys need to go out more often... :D

13. stevep0520

stevep0520 IncGamers Member

Hey Morana,

In answer to your question, I would try and socket it with one of a few things (all of which are pretty common). I'm basing it on the fact that your char (or rather your friend's char) is an Elemental Druid and really don't need to worry that much about damage.

1) Resist Poison jewels. Aldurs set pretty much takes care of every other resist out there, and I've seen a few with about 25 resist. That way, with only 2 25% RP jewels, you can potentially have 141 resist all w/ your current setup (incl. Anya resist bonus). You also need to take into account the fact that cyclone armor does not block poison. While resist all jewels are nice, you're going to be beefing up resistances that are being absorbed by using cyclone armor, and could get more bang for your buck by doing Poison.

2) Enhanced damage jewels. If you want to beef up your leaching, you can add these, and coupled with your 350% enhanced damage, you'll be doing decent damage.

A couple other suggestions for you would be to get a Lidless wall Grim Shield for the skills, cast rate, mana, and regenerate rate. Socket it with a diamond, and you're money for resists. For an alternate ring, you might as well get a Nagelring for MF puposes, beefing up your MF into the low 100s w/o sacrificing anything. Even if you aren't a die-hard MF'er, it's still nice to have the increased chance while playing through the game. If you finish off with Tornado, you'll have a nice spam spell while Armageddon and Hurricane are at work.

Either way, congrats on being happy with the build as is. I find too many people rely on some overpowered build that slices through the game with few challenges. An "out-of-the-box" build puts the challenges back into the game.

Have fun!

Steve

14. Chimaira

Shaels would definitely help...Maybe you're using it incorrectly...remember that the it's the negative of the base speed showed at the Arreat Summit you have to use...Aldur's is a Jagged Star (base 10 speed) so you have to enter -10 into the calculator...maybe that's what's causing the trouble. Also remember to use Mace (Mauls are faster than Maces from what I can see which is kind of weird)..Also remember to set the werewolf skill to lvl 20 or whatever level you have it at. I think you can safely forget the OIAS and SIAS columns...

An unsocketed Aldur's Rhytm would have a 12/7 Fury...slooow. With 2 Shael runes +40% WIAS, you would get to 9/5 which is more acceptable...another Shael +60% WIAS would reach 8/5, probably not worth it.

For a werebear an unsocketed Aldur's Rhytm would attack at 15 frames for Maul...With 2 Shaels +40% WIAS you'd attack at 9 frames, and another Shael +60% WIAS would attack at 8 frames... So it's definitely worth it to socket Aldur's with Shaels...and any other shifter druid weapon. Speed on the weapon itself is crucial for wereform attack speed. Maybe only 2 Shael runes and 1 Eth since the last Shael rune doesn't really help...at least for a fury wolf, a bear would appreciate all the speed he can get.

Good luck.

To WinterMorana and Battlequeen: I'm sorry that you're having trouble with "lovesick" guys but I must say that I find their patethicness very amusing...so much that I have to laugh out loud:)

To Stevep0520: I don't think enhanced damage jewels would be avery good idea for an elementalist druid...Their attack rating is going to be very poor (unless you specifically go for a hybrid build) so the damage they will be able to cause isn't in proportion with the added risk of getting close to the monsters. Even with the jewels/Ohm the damage is still going to be very low. If you have to go the physical damage rute then maybe some Eths and Crushing blow (Gore riders??), could be a cool option, especially against act bosses.

15. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

shifter=shaels all the way, or 2xshaels+amn (wolf, obviously). anyways, If you are going melee mentalist (usually a geddon/cane user with max HoW and some summon support), you will still need shaels. The idea of crushing blow is a good one, but the only way you are going to get it is to socket your weapon with bers and use 10 cb gloves. Every other cb option is stolen by aldurs set pieces (helm/armor/boots).

To the girls in the forum:: Welcome, its nice to have someone here other than the usual hormonal males that don't get out anymore than I do (yes, I know...we have no life). Might as well use your feminity to your advantage. One of you already noted the free mf drops. Just don't let them get too carried away. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

--welt

16. Thirty-Thirty

I think the mistake I'm making is whether or not the Shaels count as on or off-weapon IAS. If its on the weapon, I get the 8/5 you're talking about, but if I leave it off, I'm left on 12.

17. Chimaira

Actually when I think a bit more about it I don't think it's such a good idea after all...you'll attack very slowly with all those Ber runes in your mace, and you won't hit anything without the Eths...Only try this if you're hellbent on making a elementalist with backup melee attack. I stupidly thought that you could use Goreriders...which of course is impossible.

That's definitely the mistake you are making...Shaels socketed into weapons count as WIAS, also for Whirlwind.

18. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

if you play non ladder uswest i could unload a bunch of stuff off considering i dotn play very much anymore

19. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

As this build is elemental, shaeling the wepaon won't help much. However, you can increase the effectiveness of the build by finding some cold facets, the ones that subtract from enemy cold resistances and add to cold dmg. 3 cold facets should help increase the dmg a little bit.

And welcome to the forums. Watch the Moon and enjoy your Bow. ^.^

20. Thirty-Thirty

Excellent. Thanks for solving this mystery for me.

Shaeling the weapon is aimed at the shapeshifters methinks, in which case its well worth it.