how to raise strength on a merc to use bonehew?

biznas2

Diabloii.Net Member
how to raise strength on a merc to use bonehew?

this should be an easy question:

I just found a bonehew yesterday in the pit :xmad: - it has a high strength requirement - 196

my question is how do i get my merc's strength up to that level?

I am new to the merc game and am now in the process of leveling my merc (he is about level 50 or so) - his strength is approx 118 now.

Will his strength get there on its own as I level him up to reach near my level (lvl 89 fana/zealot) or do I have to equip him with + strength gear?

Thanks.

goldenfrog

Diabloii.Net Member
I had to put Lionheart armour on my merc to use bonehew, then I switched to STONE when He got enough str.

octa24

Diabloii.Net Member
lionheart or 1.10 nat's helm for str and resist. i'd rather put amn on the weapon instead of hel or -req jewel.

coldarmy13

Diabloii.Net Member
the way to go is lionheart + a good helm...such as nat's [already been suggested]. u could also try duriel's shell. if u wanna lvl ur merc up real fast, try nm nihl runs.

Wurmer

Diabloii.Net Member
I always put a - 15 req. jewel in that weapon + an amn rune. It's one of the easiest way to have you merc use it soon enough. W/o any strength adding items or - req. jewel/rune in that weapon your merc needs to be around level 89-90 to use it which is certainly inconvenient.

Squix

Diabloii.Net Member
Best exp I found for my merc was letting him solo full baal runs in NM once he was able to not die. Had to lvl him from 9 to 85 last weekend :) Could always stick a 3x p amethyst hat on him... cheap and effective for big str boost til he's mid-high 80's and has the str needed on his own.

TheDarkSide

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore
A couple of my favorite are

The Face of Horror Mask - Lvl 20 with +20 strength and flee to keep him safe when mobbed

or Naj circlet - lvl 35 with +15 strength with nice fire damage and lighting damage when struck

Arctic_Fox

Diabloii.Net Member
Do the efficient, yet not as snazzy way, and just get a Grand Crown with 3 socs and load it up with Amythests - presto, +30 strength.

Bakunine

Diabloii.Net Member
Today i just bought two average bonehews to give a friend for 4 Rals and 4 P.Amethyst. Looks cheap to me.
-15% requeriments crappy jewels are always dropping too.
If i aint wrong duriels sheel and a -15 jewel alowes merc to use it as soon as he hits the level requeriment. I have only one bonehew with -15 req and an AMN that i give to all my "newbie" mercs. As soon as they can wear it without -15 req i give them a AMN-AMN bonehew.

When i say looks cheap im not saying bonehew aint good... All my act2 mercs wear one as soon as they can except one that has the reapers tool. I have yet to find one bonehew and i have already 5.