Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to obtain high end gear, etc.

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Delton, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Delton

Delton Diabloii.Net Member

Hey everyone. I need a veteran to answer some questions I have about the game. I have played for a while, but I know nothing still apparently. I would greatly appreciate if someone took their time to read all this. Thanks!!

I'm playing Paladin and I'm done with every difficulty and currently lvl 85. When I completed the game a couple of months ago I wanted to obtain the best gear possible, and I was searching the web for some tips and tricks, but everyone recommends different things and strategies. And there are also some things I don't understand from what they were saying.

Question number 1:

1. Apparently you can upgrade normal rares to exceptional or elites? And it's relatively easy to do so. How do I do that?

2. one guy said I should NEVER leave an unidentified rare on the ground. They can spawn "with insane combinations"? What exactly do he mean by that? I think he was refering to magic find but I'm not sure. I don't bother looking at blue stuff because I've always thought they were terrible, except in the beginning and maybe when I'm struggling keeping myself alive and I need some extra resistances.

3. Is magic find the way to go to be able to farm runes and gear? Get as much as possible without it becoming hard to stay alive.

4. Is gambling for stuff worth it? I did that a lot when I played with my girlfriend. She looted every single thing she could find and then sell it to be able to gamble for stuff. I told her it was a waste of time when we were still low level and loot from bosses and stuff was 10x better. But maybe she's a genious.

5. The best possible items for ones character is specific items? Items with 4 or 5 sockets? Someone said it wasn't really worth going for those things because it's expensive as hell. But you can't ignore the fact that they are amazing. I'm torn.

6. Is it best to kill act bosses to obtain good gear? I read that some specific items drop more often on nightmare difficulty rather than Hell from some bosses.

That's it for now. I might have forgotten something but I will tell you more if I come up with anything.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

• To convert a Normal Rare armor to its Exceptional equivalent: Use a Thul, a Ral and a perfect Amethyst in theHoradric Cube with the item you wish to transmute.
    • To convert a Normal Rare weapon to its Exceptional equivalent: Use an Amn, an Ort and a perfect Sapphire in the Horadric Cube with the item you wish to transmute.
    • To convert an Exceptional Rare armor to its Elite equivalent: Use a Pul, a Ko and a perfect Amethyst in the Horadric Cube with the item you wish to transmute.
    • To convert an Exceptional Rare weapon to its Elite equivalent: Use an Um, a Fal and a perfect Sapphire in the Horadric Cube with the item you wish to transmute.
    2. Rares can get crazy stats, but it's very, well, rare. Enhanced damage can get huge, for example. I've never found a really good one, myself, and I've found Zod, Cham, and Jah runes - just to give you an idea of how rare they really are.

Blue items generally aren't worth it, with a few exceptions. I pick up and identify blue Monarch shields, hoping for that elusive Jewellers Monarch of Deflecting. Also, blue claws can be the best trap assassin weapons.

3. Magic find doesn't affect rune drops, but is very useful when trying to get set or unique items. It's good to try to find a balance between MF and survivability / kill speed. The Countess is a good source of low to mid level runes, and hell Lower Kurast and Travincal are good sources of high runes.

4. I generally gamble for amulets and tiaras. Once in a while I find something worth keeping. I don't think it's worth going out of my way to do, but it can be fun.

5. The "best" items for any given character can vary pretty wildly, depending on build. Also, once you've taken multiple characters all the way through the game, it can be fun to play deliberately underpowered niche builds. In other words, use whatever you want.

6. Act bosses are a great source of gear. Nightmare can be a better choice for certain items - for example, nightmare Andariel has a higher chance of dropping unique rings (think Stone of Jordan) than hell Andariel. Mephisto on nightmare and Hell is a great boss to run for items. Level 85 areas, such as the Pit in hell Act 1 or the Ancient Tunnels in hell Act 2 are also popular areas to run.

Congratulations on getting your Paladin through the game, and best of luck to you!

Southpaw8668 and Delton like this.
  3. Delton

I was hesitant to make a thread and ask about all this because I often just figure it out by googling or learning by myself. But there were too many uncertanties and I'd rather hear an avid diablo players opinion instead of just hoping that I made the right decision. Thank you so much for your detalied answer! I was not expecting that kind of answer right of the bat! You just made my day.
    Happy new year to you and have a fantastic day my friend!

4. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Noodle did a great job, but I'll add a little about areas to farm gear.

Area level 85 areas are a good place to find items as well as runes. Pits, ancient tunnels, chaos sanctuary, and worldstone keep are a few of the better ones. Any item in the game can drop there.

Hell council is a good place to find runes, gear, and gold. Cows can be good for runes as well.

Baal is actually a pretty bad source of good items, but a great source of exp.

Runewords are very powerful, and some of them aren't terribly expensive.

I really like identifying rare items, but I don't do them all. The things I mostly pick up are: some weapon types, rings, amulets, circlets, belts, gloves, and boots. Rare armor, shields, and helms are almost impossible to beat a set, unique, or runeword for any build.

But most importantly, do what is fun to you!

And keep asking questions, it takes years to come anywhere near learning everything about this game!

Southpaw8668 and Delton like this.
  5. Delton

Yeah! I can certainly see that it takes some time to master all this.
    Okay, just to be clear, when you're talking about rare items, you mean blue things right? And are there really any good set items out there? all I've encountered seems pretty bad to be honest.

As a paladin, I've heard the "Kurast Shield" and the "Kraken Shell" are good items to make runewords out of. I'm keeping an eye out for those two.

These areas you mention... They can drop any item in the game? Then that must be really good to do over and over? When I'm done with all those places, can I just create a new game and do them all over again? Or maybe do the act bosses as well.

I'm on battlenet by the way and not single player if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks for all the information! I greatly appreciate all of it! :D

6. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Rare items are yellow, the blue ones are "magic". The terminology can be confusing at times, you will get used to them :confused:

Set items can be quite useful since you can get partial bonus with just 2 pieces of the same set. All set items and their bonuses can be found here:
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Item_Set

Delton likes this.
  7. Delton

But wait... It's called "Magic find", does that mean it only increase the chances of finding blue gear?
    And, nice! Those set items look pretty juicy. I just have to find higher leveled sets to find them useful.

8. kestegs

Are you on ladder or non-ladder?

You can make a runeword out of many different base items, it just depends on your needs for that character. If you tell us what build or what skills you use we could probably suggest what kind of items might be best for you.

You can create a new game and run each area once in that game. You can run one area or ten, it's up to you. Just make sure you stay in each game a couple minutes so you don't get a temp ban.

Magic find increases the chances of any item drop being a higher quality. The quality order is: Plain (white), Magic (blue), Rare (yellow), Set (green), Unique (gold). So it effects everything. So if the game decides it will drop a short sword it then roles to see what quality it will be, and the higher your magic find, the more likely it is to be blue,yellow,green,or gold.

9. Delton

I play a vengeance Paladin on non ladder. I used to play zealot paladin but it was really hard at one point of the game because I couldn't kill certain creatures so I tried the vengeance build. It did get easier for me but now I also need a ton of mana potions. Attack speed, damage and resistances are the stats I really want I think. Spellcasters are always a troubling bunch, so it would be nice with a good resistance runeword of some sort.

I also have a level 28 elementlist druid which I play right now on ladder. I'm playing together with my girlfriend who plays an assassin. Things are going smoothly because we're only on normal so far. It's hard to find items for a spellcaster druid though. I think I've had my weapon since level 5. The only useful stats on it are minimum and maximun damage by 1 and also 1 mana after each kill. I have not found a better weapon so far, hah.

10. Delton

I've started to grind for some gear and stuff, mainly in the pit and lost city area because in the later areas it's very hard. It's just so incredibly rare to find anything at all. It feels kind of hopeless to me. I guess I need more magic find? because I have very little magic find. And as a paladin I don't really kill things fast either. Certain other classes probably have an easier time.

11. kestegs

I'm a big fan of the avenger paladin, but he's not going to be very effective at getting a lot of mf and killing fast, even with great gear. In general spell casters are best at that. Paladin shields can help your resists a lot, as they can spawn with up to 45 resist all as a base stat. The biggest thing to help with Mana would be an insight runeword, but that's ladder only, so you'd have to trade for one.

You could possibly respec into a Hammerdin build, that's a very easy and powerful build that would allow you some good mf and kill speed. It's not my favorite style to play, but it is very good.

12. Delton

Yeah, maybe. If I'm looking for magic find, how picky should I the items I come across? For example; if I find a blue item with ONLY 40% Magic find on it, is that fine? Maybe that's too big of a drop in armor and resistances...

13. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I always place kill speed and survivability above magic find. You can always throw some perfect topazes in your gear, or try to stockpile magic find charms.

kestegs and Delton like this.
  14. Delton

Sounds like a good idea! Do you know if the chances to find items increase when you're two people in the party? When I play with someone else it feels like items drop more often than by on my own.

15. mystiks

mystiks Diabloii.Net Member

Im not much into theorycrafting, but amount of players in game affects the amount of stuff dropping, partying or not. It also makes killing mobs bit harder, i don't know if its only +%life on mobs.

The difference is noticeable when killing stuff alone in 5-8player games.

Like people above suggested, farm on areas you like to do, and where your current build is suitable. I wouldn't worry too much about mf if playing on battle.net ladder. This season i've made most of my currency(runes) with socketed items, only found crap uniques.

I guess running mf is about 50% knowing what stuff to keep, would suggest reading info about what stuff is worthwhile keeping, and whats not.

http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/charm-guide-final-version-hopefully.403178/
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/370600-diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction/56741753/627398087

My personal favorite way of doing mf is joining high population bot games, and go solo pits/wsk/council/whatnot.

16. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Delton, what server on Battlenet do you play on? After years of Single Player, I recently started a couple characters on USWest.

17. Delton

I'm on europe servers unfortunately.

18. mystiks

mystiks Diabloii.Net Member

You can poke me in game with further questions if needed, playing on/off atleast during this weekend (europe servers). If you haven't managed to acquire basic starter runewords (spirit, insight etc) i can help with those also if needed.

Mostly on account *myst_pala

Delton likes this.
  19. dixonlim27

dixonlim27 Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys.. I play diablo 2 1.13 single palyer.. i didnt know the game is still alive and we can play with players from around the world.. I am from Malaysia though. Is it possible? or is there any one nearby my region that I can try? Thanks!