Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to not get scammed

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Tyrrel, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Tyrrel

Tyrrel IncGamers Member

How to not get scammed

For the last time: NEVER TYPE YOUR PASSWORD.

EVER.

Consider it dangerous enough to have to use it to log on.

NEVER.

EVER.

TYPE IT.

That's as simple as it gets.

2. Compman

Compman IncGamers Member

Good advice, but if you ever tell someone your password you've got it coming.

3. GoreSpilr

GoreSpilr IncGamers Member

I feel that post might be in regards to my own, and I have this to say.

just don't be a complete dumbass. and although the game can turn your brain to mush after 6 or 7 hours, still try and think about what you are actually doing, regards,
    GS.

4. Tyrrel

Tyrrel IncGamers Member

For the record, I lost my first account because of the dnd scam, so I speak from experience. If it seems like a bad idea, it is.

5. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

And if it seems too good to be true, it is.

6. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

What's that you say, you want my password? Okay...we get used to dealing with guys who appear to be decent people in here, then forget the number of people cheating/duping/scamming elsewhere.

Trust no one...or be prepared to lose everything you have.

7. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Also, when you're trading with someone; if they start doing suspicious or wierd things, chances are, they're trying to scam you, so be careful.

8. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

This happened to a friend the other day, wonder if the gurus on this forum have seen this before. The scammer asked to see an item in the trade window, then bam it went over and was gone. Needless to say the scammer then skipped town.

9. Pyro@d2

[email protected] IncGamers Member

Really? He just put it onto the trade window and it disappeard? thats new to me... But i had a friend of mine which i had known for 2 months scam me.... He did the old get mephys soul stone go to charsi hold control and left click the soulstone after u dump ur stuff on the ground.... He said to do it to impreess his friends. Friends... TRUST NO ONE ON THE NET.. except me hehe..... :innocent:

10. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

Theres several tricks of the trade that crooks out there use, that you should all avoid.

-Above all, never tell anyone your password. They'll always tell you its for a good reason, that they're gonna fill your acc with free items. Its ALWAYS a lie. No one but you needs to know that all secret pass.

-If your trading with someone and their inventory is suspiciously always full, always check the item he places to make sure its the one you want. (I traded my 1st ever Soj for a white Jared's Stone I mistook for Occy way back in the day). They'll always use the same line as well. "Hurry! I got to go, we need to trade fast! Hurry!" Then they'll blink the checkmark repeatedly...go as slow as you want, always be sure you know what your trading for...I know its common sense, but it happens to the best of us.

-Never fall for the act 2 trade thingy. Where you stand in the tavern and then the guy on the outside drops a items as a show of faith...and then asks you to do the same. Never do this. They can pick up your item, you can't pick up their's..its always a scam.

Theres frankly too many scams out there to post them all...these are some of the main.

Just don't give out your password, xfer with strangers, or do 'acts of faith and trust'. Remember, everyone on Bnet is looking out for numero uno...they'll rob you blind and laugh while doing it, trust me.

11. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

About giving your password, I noticed you can't whisp your password to someone else when you're in the chat. I did it like 2 weeks ago, because I wouldnt be able to play anymore for a while, so i whisped the password to a friend of mine. But instead of the normal whisping, I got this message like "blizzard will never ask for your password, blabla". Now I can't whisper to my friend anymore, it always gives the same message :rolleyes:

12. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Yep, thats the story, into the trade window, didn't click the check mark.. didn't do nothing... and hmm..... poof... item disappeared.

13. bunghole

bunghole IncGamers Member

The reason you guys are losing your items to the trade screen just 'taking' them is because SOMEBODY installed a so called soj dupe or something like that. Its basically a 3rd party program that takes control of ur comp. during the trade, it sends a signal equal to pressing the checkmark and completeing the trade. And there goes ur items.

If everyone spent their time mfing instead of scamming, they would have a lot more stuff.

14. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

well i dont know they scam ALOT!

This thread brings me back to a really funny attempt that someone had of trying to do the switch item scam. Basically i was trading my stuff for his sword and he took it off the screen then spammed all this stuff on the screen like "hmmm shall i do it i dont know if its worth it ok lets trade lets trade" about 5 times to cover up the screen and then he put the swapped sword on. lol as if im gunna fall for that - i just laughed at him and left.

15. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Somebody tried to pull a tal's armor switcheroo with rattlecage on a group of ppl today.... one after another... none were dumb enough....

16. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Many people, while waiting in town for cows portal for example, ask to have a look at your stuff. Show me that sword, put it in the trade window, I may offer something godly for it, etc. Before the trade hack, it was not risky, but now...

If you don't need to trade, don't show your stuff. That's it. If you are afraid to look like a paranoiac, fine, then be ready to get hacked someday. If people really want to look at your stuff, suggest them to install Maphack (;)).