How to make Energy Shield work for you

mattinm

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: How to make Energy Shield work for you

1) No. That's why the curse is so devastating.

2) You're correct with a, which is why a high-level ES% with a teen-twenties MDR/PDR can tank almost all damage in the game (except poison, the aforementioned curse, and mana burners).

Togakure

Diabloii.Net Member

There is one type of ES-using sorc that doesn't have to fear the Blood Mana curse--an ES Enchantress. Her attack is melee. Using teleport will incur a small amount of damage, but it's manageable.

The Phoenix rune word (level 10-15 Redemption aura, which converts corpses to Life and Mana) is a highly effective way to counter the effects all three of these problems. Mana-burners are still somewhat problematic, but if your ES doesn't drop completely when struck, you can tele and absorb nearby bodies to restore your Life/Mana very quickly. Put Phoenix in a weapon (Phase Blade) and use dual Dreams, and you have a powerhouse Enchantress with a huge melee attack, strong AoE attacks that are auras or procs (read: no casting), and all the benefits of a max ES defense.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I too learned a lot from this guide, and I'm considering building a triple element melee sorceress using energy shield. This has helped a lot already for the planning stage. I actually began the insane titan sorc (pure titan, not demi!) And can do reasonably well with base vit and energy because of plus insight merc.

Azeer

Diabloii.Net Member

I am considering on making a ES sorc, thanks for the info, probably going lightning with it.

danc133

Diabloii.Net Member

Kyrandia, glad to see i inspired you to make EtaCarinae (nice name too!) I added your tip about prebuffing with Memmory to the guide!

I am building an Enchantress / Dual Dreamer. Fire and Lightning Melee damage should be outrageous. You can use a Demon Machine X-bow for range attacks too - the explosive bolts work with Fire Damage...

20 Warmth
20 Enchant
20 Fire Mastery
1 Fire Ball
1 Fire Bolt
1 Frozen Armour
1 Static Field
1 Teleport
20 Lightning Mastery
18 Telekenisis

At Lvl 90

Pre Buff with Memmory for partial ES!
The problem with this is lightning mastery doesn't work on ranged lightning attacks only melee. It does apply to the pulse damage.

Karth

Diabloii.Net Member

The problem with this is lightning mastery doesn't work on ranged lightning attacks only melee. It does apply to the pulse damage.
It doesn't apply twice to ranged attacks. You still end up with a big bonus to the lightning damage.

dynastoned

Diabloii.Net Member

i was pretty bored earlier messing around with the energy shield, telekinesis, and damage taken goes to mana variables. i got tired of manually calculating each scenario so i wrote this easy to use script to help me through the nonsense.

http://www.dontneed.com/es-tk-calc/

note: if the link goes down today/tomorrow don't worry ill have it back up by sunday. just waiting for paypal money to come in so i can pay the hosting.

enjoy

tofuu

Diabloii.Net Member

Noob here, I might have missed this part, but when it comes to ES defence is still taken to account right? Sorry, I know its a probably a dumb question, but had to ask.

hubb

Diabloii.Net Member

Sure, defense is still the very first thing that's checked so you can evade missile and melee hits as usual. Generally speaking though it's not something you should be worried about, especially on a sorc (ES or no).

tofuu

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks hubb. I'm planning to make a enchantress, and was curious if it gets ignored. Thanks for the help.

Zoi

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the guide. I have a few questions though; I haven't played for quite a while. Anybody's answers are as good as gold! As long as they're correct of course! :)

By "1 Point Energy Shield prebuffed to 20", what exactly does the author of the guide mean – the usual array of items and charms combined with Memory to get a 20 skill level ES?

If I spend nothing on ES I can only get a maximum of 3 + 9 + 3 (Ormus' Robes) = 15, is that correct? (A.K.A If I put 0 in ES All my +skills won't do me any good)

If I spend nothing on ES and only get it by way of Memory, does my Telekinesis skill level contribute to my (item granted) ES?

Items giving +skills to Telekinesis are useless in terms of ES, aren't they?

Lastly I was thinking about finding me a good base Staff for Memory. Now obviously it has to be either a Gnarled/Battle/War Staff (or their upgrades), but I went looking at the various staff-vendors for a "white" one to socket using the cube, and it seems from A3 Normal onwards, they are all magic so I will have to find one myself it seems. Is there an easier way to obtain a suitable staff for Memory? Otherwise Getting a vanilla/4 socket staff with 3+ to ES is extremely difficult! :S

hubb

Diabloii.Net Member

If I spend nothing on ES I can only get a maximum of 3 + 9 + 3 (Ormus' Robes) = 15, is that correct? (A.K.A If I put 0 in ES All my +skills won't do me any good)
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. When you have +ES from Ormus or Memory then any +all, +sorc, and +light skills will increase its level, even when you don't have a hard point spent in ES. If you unequip the item(s) specifically granting ES then it'll drop down to 0, but that won't matter once you've casted it.

If I spend nothing on ES and only get it by way of Memory, does my Telekinesis skill level contribute to my (item granted) ES?

Items giving +skills to Telekinesis are useless in terms of ES, aren't they?
Yes, it doesn't matter that you don't have a hard point in ES; and yes, only hard points spent in TK counts.

Lastly I was thinking about finding me a good base Staff for Memory. Now obviously it has to be either a Gnarled/Battle/War Staff (or their upgrades), but I went looking at the various staff-vendors for a "white" one to socket using the cube, and it seems from A3 Normal onwards, they are all magic so I will have to find one myself it seems. Is there an easier way to obtain a suitable staff for Memory? Otherwise Getting a vanilla/4 socket staff with 3+ to ES is extremely difficult! :S
That it is. It's probably wise to settle for a plain staff at first :)

Zoi

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. When you have +ES from Ormus or Memory then any +all, +sorc, and +light skills will increase its level, even when you don't have a hard point spent in ES. If you unequip the item(s) specifically granting ES then it'll drop down to 0, but that won't matter once you've casted it.

Yes, it doesn't matter that you don't have a hard point in ES; and yes, only hard points spent in TK counts.

That it is. It's probably wise to settle for a plain staff at first :)
I appreciate your reply!

What I meant is that the maximum skill level ES you could possibly achieve in your wildest dreams, without actually spending a hard point in the skill, is the "+Energy Shield" mods" from Ormus' Robes and Memory respectively. Or do all the +All/+Sorc/+Lightn skills count towards ES as well; even though you haven't spent a single point in the skill?

From your above reply I take it all +skills of these kinds on any item you wear add skill levels to your item-granted ES, though confirmation would be fantastic!

What I should've said instead is: If one is granted ES from an item exclusively, do all the +Skills from items count towards one's item granted ES skill level?

Hindsight is 20/20 as always, of course! ;)

Zoi

Diabloii.Net Member

Kick 4ss!

Sounds to me liek putting a single point in ES is completely pointless (111111111111) if you do have a Memory/ES Ormus', while using these items and maxing Telekinesis seems to be the most economical choice, while retaining a high level of ES efficiency.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Do you play HC btw, if you still play at all?

Clervis

Diabloii.Net Member

Kick 4ss!

Sounds to me liek putting a single point in ES is completely pointless (111111111111) if you do have a Memory/ES Ormus', while using these items and maxing Telekinesis seems to be the most economical choice, while retaining a high level of ES efficiency.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Do you play HC btw, if you still play at all?
My dream staff would be a 4os white staff with +3 ES, +3 Shiver Armor, & +3 Thunderstorm just for these purposes. Yum.

Zoi

Diabloii.Net Member

I thought Frozen Armor was way superior to Shiver. :S

Anyone?

Clervis

Diabloii.Net Member

It depends. Frozen armor is good for caster because it chills (slows down) anyone who swings at you. Shiver, however, triggers only if you get hit, but it will temporarily freeze (stop) the attacker, making it better for melee characters.

So, I've got specific question about Energy Shield. I'm trying to figure out where most of my damage will be coming from. I'm building a Bearsorc who will have 75% damage to mana, 75 resist all, and GBane giving 20 pdr & 20 mdr. Of the damage that does hit my life bubble, should I expect it to mostly be physical or mostly magical (I'm trying to pick between a Mal and a Sol)? Anybody have any experience on the matter?