How to make Energy Shield work for you

Kyrandia

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: How to make Energy Shield work for you

I think the reason why you run out of mana so quickly is because you maxed ES before TK. I personally would have done it the other way round.

Note that on page 1 of this thread renegademaster mentions 3 possible builds: 1 ES + 1 TK, 1 ES + 20 TK, and 20 ES + 20 TK (prebuffing not taken into account). You appear to be working towards the latter setup, but your current (intermediate) state is not recommended in the guide, and I assume the mana issue is exactly the reason. With 20 ES + 1 TK you deflect a maximum amount of damage at the highest possible mana cost. Unless you have a really big mana pool thanks to good gear, this setup will leave you quite vulnerable.

renegademaster

Diabloii.Net Member

Try getting hold of a Gerkes Sanctuary shield, this will provide the damage reduction to your energy shield.

FO and ES buils is really for Duelling, as there lots of cold immunes out there that cannot be broken even with Infinity Runeword (it has a conviction aura).
Either try a duel element build as SirPoopsAllot Suggests, or go Pure Lightning and get an Infinity polearm for your merc. Whilst Inifinity is expensive the build is very powerful and can go anywhere, and excellent at magic finding.

Kyrandia

Diabloii.Net Member

It depends. My ES sorc (http://forum.diii.net/showthread.php?t=727081) had a pre-buffed lvl17 ES and 20 points in TK, so I cannot speak from experience. But you can do the calculation: if a monster does ~100 damage in Hell, and you have a lvl 40 ES but only 1 point in TK, then it will cost you approx. 184 mana (0.95*100*(2.0-0.0625)). Taking into account that you might get hit by 5 gloams at the same time, you're already talking ~1000 mana just to survive being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then you want to have something left for casting spells... well, you can make your own estimation.

I was quite comfortable with the ~2000 mana I had, but that was with 20 points in TK and a lower lvl ES. A monster doing 100 dam would only cost me 54 mana (and 28 life, most of which was cancelled by PDR/MDR gear).

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member

Question on balance (I bookmarked good links back in 2008 in case I'd ever need them, but alas I deleted them; search function isn't bringing up good results):

I know people spend hours figuring out a good life/mana balance with ES, so if any of you out there can answer, it'll be great. In general (if that's even possible), what life/mana ratio am I looking for:

Partial ES
- PvM
- PvMelee
- PvCaster
- PvA

Full ES
- PvM
- PvMelee
- PvCaster
- PvA

Assuming I can get my hands on some GG items.

Kurumi

Diabloii.Net Member

Forget balance. For fun and ADRENALINE FILLED PVM...go base vita as much as you can into ENergn sorc.

Spectear

Diabloii.Net Member

I actually sort of agree with Kurumi here also because of the way you can choose to alter your life and mana via charms.

I myself made a full block fully synergized ES sorc with base 0 ES and can prebuff to about 20-25 which absorbs most of the incoming damage that isn't blocked. I only have 900 base life and 1100 base mana which is enough for most things but I am going to be remaking the sorc to actually put hard points into ES so that I can hit the 40 cap on ES or rather closer to it.

I'm also going to rework the sorc to have much lower base life and much higher base mana as well as changing around significant portions of gear (example I upped my perfect 35/13 viper because this sorc uses Stormshield/Monarch and my new one will not). I'll let you guys know how the new sorc turns out but I do think that while I will lose out on some damage the increase in mana and therefore overall survivability will be incredible. As it is I can take several Nihilthak CE's and Gloam volley's before dying but I want to try it with the giant mana pool I had on an even older ES Sorc (that one was Orb rather than Fire which is what I choose to make now).

If you have decent vita charms I don't really think you need hard points in vita which stands to reason there is no balance required. The stats I listed above are without a CTA on my Sorc (I just restarted and only have a 2 BO CTA on my Hammerdin). With a reasonable CTA I would hit about 700-800 life after BO which is more than enough to tank what little damage actually gets through with the new build I am planning. In fact I am fairly sure the current iteration of my Sorc only has about 100ish vita which is only 200 life. Far less than what even a 1 BO CTA would provide me.

Spectear

Diabloii.Net Member

Alphaz is that based on base 5 hard points in Eshield or how many? By my math that's the minimum you need for 40 Eshield after buffs unless you are getting outside help or forsaking 40 point Eshield.

I assume since you said non-block you are using like Lidless over say Whistan's which is what I plan to use.

Not trying to question the validity of your statement I'm just curious.

alphaz

Diabloii.Net Member

Using Spirit mon, full ES prebuff, 9x fhr/life-59mana gcs and level 93 or more, if I recall correctly. I'm not 100% sure of the fireball damage, just from my memory :)

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Renegademaster: Open Wounds does go straight to life, but Crushing Blow can be reduced by %Damage Reduce like Dungo+Storm, which would reduce it to half effect.

hallo

Diabloii.Net Member

I've had a long standing fascination with es, and being the greedy grubber that I am I would like to know what is the absolute highest u could pre-buff es to taking into account ridiculous equipment.

I've been mucking around with the numbers and it seems to me that the best you can do for full ES is with +37 es/allskills/lightning skills via the following:
perfect + 9 memory
ormus robes with + 3 es
+3 skills circlet.
+3 skills amulet
arachnid mesh
x2 soj
torch
anni
x9 grand charms

plz let me know. I haven't played this game in a year so plz don't bite my head off if I say something stupid.

once i get the pre-buff strat down I will mill over the max block/caster enhance shield debate.
is it possible to make a sorc that can switch between the 2 and still be proficient?(aka not sacrificing omfg points in dex and thus having less energy/life)

and another thing...I don't see a lot of people stressing the point of unimportant resists in the eds guides. now I might be wrong, but when you're taking 5% of elemental damage anyway, aren't +% elemental resists pretty much a waste of a magic slot?

one more Q. I'm pretty sure i saw an answer to this somewhere but i don't remember...do u get thrown into hit recovery when you use es? If i recall right hit recovery triggers when u take 10% or more of you're max life in a single hit which with es isn't very likely (well at least less likely then most builds), yet I hear people complain a lot that it still throws them into hit recovery? does es work differently with this?
thanx to anyone that answers this long poorly arranged list of questions ^_^

Last edited:

kardinaal

Diabloii.Net Member

Seems about right to me. You can get another point by using battle command from a barb or CtA, and +2 from a skill shrine, so the total amount you can reach without any hard SPs is +40.

kardinaal

Diabloii.Net Member

Also have a question about Energy shield and resistances. It seems to me people are too nonchalant about resistances, especially on budget and partial ES builds. The OP went with 75% ES, so I'll do too.

Example: Sorc with 75% ES, 0 LR (-100 after hell penalty), no %PDR/PDR/MDR:

100 physical damage
25 gets through your energy shield
Damage to life: 25 pts

100 elemental damage
25 gets through your energy shield
(negative) resistance gets calculated in
Damage to life: 50 pts

Doesn't seem too important damage wise, but this messes a great deal with your life/mana ratio. With elemental damage your red ball is going down twice as fast compared to physical, while you want them to go down at a consistant rate, no matter what kind of damage you take.

Solution is to either stack MDR (and lots of it), or to get your resistances up to 100% (0 resists in hell) so you get a consistant life drain. If you also use 50% PDR, you need to get 150% resists (50% in hell).

OK, this is not 100% accurate, some elemental damage is blockable with a shield (eg: fire arrows), some is not (eg: lightning). So you'll never get the ratio straight when using a shield. The effect is even harsher with a shield btw, since you'll get only a quarter of the physical damage through your shield, but more elemantal damage.

So for a well balanced ES you need to either calculate the mana to life ratio for elemental damage, or balance your resists.

renegademaster

Diabloii.Net Member

for faster hit recovery, its not an issue in PVM if you have good integer damage reduction. But it is an issue in PVP where you still take allot of damage.

Thanks for the tip Helvette will update the guide!

Last edited:

Taxi Driver

Diabloii.Net Member

A very nice guide, would be better if you just give some fully sets of gear that can work well with ES.
I have an ES/Orb sorc that use Wizzy, Gladiator's Bane, Sanctuary, an amulet with damage reduce by 6 and boost the mana with 2 SOJ & Frostburn. She hits 105 FCR and 4400+ mana after BO. The damage is not so high (about 900) but when fighting against caster, I simply switch to Death's Fathom and Up'ed Viper to have 1250 damage (still have 4000+ mana and 20 MDR). For me, the main point of ES is to make people unable to kill you as long as your blue orb is not empty (well, except rabies). So I don't think partial ES is good. If you go for ES, go full ES.

Stevomoo

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi quick question on this, with 95% es for pvm is 13 mdr and 25 pdr enough.

ckt

Diabloii.Net Member

I have two questions:

'Succubi and Baal cast a special curse. This curse causes you to do damage to yourself when you cast spells. For skills that require more mana, you will take more damage. This even includes such spells like Teleport but doesn't include Thunderstorm or Energy Shield because you have already have cast them. Whenever this curse is cast on you, stop casting spells until it's worn off, click on a Shrine to counteract it, or go back to town and have it removed. Blood Mana only affects you if you have more Mana than Life. If you have at least as much max Mana as max Life, you can be cursed.' From the Act V Bestiary on the Arreat Summit.

1) Does ES reduce the damage you take from Blood Mana Curse?

- and -

Lighting, Fire, Cold, Magic ->% ES -> MDR -> Resists -> Life

2) If you have -100 resist, when does your incoming damage get multiplied to 200%? Let's say you have 10 MDR and have a 50% ES, and you take 100 damage. Is it:

a) 100 damage by 50% ES to 50 > 50-10 MDR to 40 > 200% negative resist to 80 = 80 damage.
b) 100 damage doubled first to 200 > 50% ES to 100 > 100-10MDR to 90 = 90 damage.

Following the formula strictly would make it seem like a) happens, but I am not 100% sure.