Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to make a batch file that closes Diablo II when it minimizes, to save your life!

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Christopher Sin, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

How to make a batch file that closes Diablo II when it minimizes, to save your life!

I lost my lv. 87 Necro in the Cow level, when Trillian decided to minimize my game. So I decided to make a solution for this problem, so it doesn't destroy another one of my characters. :eek:

I created a .bat file which terminates the Game.exe process, shutting down Diablo 2. I put a shortcut to this file in my Quick Launch tray. If the game ever gets minimized, I can click the shortcut to kill the game before it kills my character.

To do this, create a new text file. Inside this text file, paste the following:

Code:
    @echo off
    TASKKILL /F /IM Game.exe /T

Then save the text file and rename it to whatever you want, and change the end extension to .bat (for example, my file is called killdiablo.bat). I would place the batch file in your Diablo 2 directory, then create a shortcut and place it on your desktop or your Quick Launch tray. Whenever your game gets minimized, you can click this shortcut and the game will terminate almost instantly.

The above batch file might only work for Windows XP. I don't know much about coding batch files, so if there's a better or more compatible way to code this, please let me know! :)

The life of my lv.82 necro was recently saved by this. Diablo II minimized right after I ran into a pack of gloams at the Worldstone 2 waypoint. Without this batch, I would have been dead for sure! :scared:

2. Slash

Slash IncGamers Member

I wonder is theres a way to make the game automatticly exit when you minimize, that way the affect will be instintanious. Props to ya for thinking of this thing, as even i can do this, and when it comes to computers its complicated to make things simple enough for me :)

PS: Do you include the "@echo off" when you paste it? (yes i am that bad)

3. Christopher Sin

I often minimize my game while in town or a channel, to look up information on this website. However it's possible for someone to make a program that automatically kills the game when it minimizes, and turn this feature on/off using a hotkey. That kind of programming stuff is way over my head though. :confused:

Yes, include that too. :)

4. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

is there a way to get rid of the d2 music files? i cant stand that crusty music that blares when i enter a channel etc before i get into a game because it overrides my music!

i tried the good old blank file renamed to the same name but diablo wont even launch with that in :(

5. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

in channel just press ctrl+m and thatll get ride of the music. :thumbsup:

6. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

ooh, nice tip, thanks :clap:

as to killing d2 on minimize, it shouldn't be that hard. let me do some playing, and get back to yall...

7. Hakkapellito

Hakkapellito IncGamers Member

All I have to say is...

FINALLY!

I've been minimized, literally, hundreds of times because of my habit of leaving AIM running while I play. I hadn't ever died from it, however, until about a month before 1.10 came out. I was dueling this jerk on my 99 sorc and completely showing him who was boss until...

"Person: Did you get that silver nitrate off your hands yet?"

That's exactly what she said. I haven't forgotten. My computer is a 700 MHz PIII, so it's relatively slow. The time it took to get minimized, scream, and maximize was about 4 seconds total, and by the time I brought D2 back up, it was too late, I read my deeds. I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that it was a total moron who had killed me - a moron who now said he "ownzzzz" me. Oh well.

Since then, I've had many a close call from AIM, including very recently on my 89 amazon, my pride and joy. I'll test this file on Windows '98 and see if it works, thanks a lot.

-Hakka

8. Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury IncGamers Member

Isn't using additional programs with D2/LoD considered cheating?

And posting them against the rules of this forum? And grounds for banning?

I'm no computer expert, so I'm not making accusations, just asking.

9. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

Bongo... the .bat file that is being considered wouldn't be considered cheating.

It's not like your editing ne file associated with Diablo.... and the file is just 2 terminate an existing game... basically another way of Save + Exit.

Just my opinion.

10. Hakkapellito

Hakkapellito IncGamers Member

Asinine.

We're not using any additional programs in conjunction with D2, rather, we have a program that we can execute that simply closes down D2 in the case of a minimization. Some of us run programs in the background while playing D2 (in my case, AIM, but even WinAmp has minimized me in the past) that could theoretically jeopardize our character's life. So, instead of wasting a couple seconds maximizing, getting our bearings, and possibly quaffing that oh-so-necessary rejuv, we hit the file to safely save/exit.

We weren't going to die in the first place without the minimization, so it's not like a chicken-hack, it's just a safety measure IF we become minimized, and as a result, helpless.

-Hakka

11. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

I'd deem it as much cheating as alt+F4. ie, not a cheat.

On another note: Why do you people leave potential minimizing programs up while playing :scratch:

12. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Because friends > D2.
    Or I'm sure they might be for some people.
    And AIM is a good way to talk with these friends.
    Or that's what I hear.

13. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

I'm guessing people just forget to turn them off.

With that in mind, I was thinking something to this effect:

Rather than make a program to exit diablo when it minimizes, why not make a program that automatically kills all programs (aim, etc) that might cause minimization when diablo first launches?

14. jsiv

jsiv IncGamers Member

Well make your friends play D2 then! No more alt-tabbing.

15. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

control + m, ill try that, thank you!

16. Ka0s047

Ka0s047 IncGamers Member

You could always put a shortcut on your desktop to this file, then make a keyboad short cut to the short cut. So if would go something like this
    Diablo minamizes
    Slam CTRL SHIFT *some other key on the keyboard* That would be much faster then having to double click it,

17. Brother_Maynard

Brother_Maynard IncGamers Member

i've never used aim but i know that msn messenger doesn't minimize diablo when someone messages me. of course this means i usually miss their messages but at least it doesn't kill me.

is there a way to set aim so it doesn't "pop up" when someone messages you?

18. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

yeah, you can set it to not pop up. just put an away message up, you can still hear the sound if you want to then check the messages at your leisure

19. Christopher Sin

I would like some feedback. :)

Have you tried using the batch file? Does it work? Have you gotten it to work on an O/S other than Windows XP?

20. Gr33kGladiator

Gr33kGladiator IncGamers Member

I find alt f4 is plenty fast when my d2 minimizes. The only time that happens is when some1 gets on aim and a little flag thing appears in the bottom of the screen and i accidently click it while playing d2 :grrr: