Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to keep a Holy Freeze Merc alive vs Hell Andy!?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Bootz24, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

How to keep a Holy Freeze Merc alive vs Hell Andy!?

Act 2 Merc
    Holy Freeze
    Lvl 84

Gear:

12% Leech Crown of Thieves
    Upgraded Ethereal Hone Sundan Ghost Spear (14% Leech)
    Nat's Armor (75% Poions Length Red, 25% Poison Resist) (2) P-Topaz

He can NOT stay alive! His Poison Resistence is maxxed.

I've tried a VENOMWARD for the 90% poison resistence and poison length reduction. That doesn't help

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Boots

2. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

I don´t belive there is any single mirace working solution. My merc use to survive but it´s more difficult to keep him alive than my main char. Generally:
    1. Kill her quickly (fire works best)
    2. Try to clean aut her minions (especially shamans) before confronting her.
    3. Have some full rejuv potions with you and give them to your merc when you see that his life runs out.
    4. Immediately after killing Andy take a portal to town and talk to Akara to heal him or exit the game.

You have not written anything about your main char - it is important for your merc who his lord/lady is - if its right typ of merc and what kind of support he can get from the main char.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I made the experience that an upgraded Hone Sundan is quite a disappointment for mercs. Try a Kelpie Snare (merc for necro) or Reaper's Toll (non-necro).

4. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

Keep in mind my merc uses an Upgraded ETHEREAL Hone Sundan. Close to 700 max with 45% CB and 14% Life Leech (should have went 21%) is a very nice deal. Andy and the occasional ranged, Extra Strong, Fanat, Spectral Hit monster takes him down rather quick.

I run a MF Sorc : Chain Lightning/Orb.

My new tactic is to leave my merc busy with a Shaman or Dark One, WALK (not tele... I don't want my merc to be right there) and Static Andy.

I'll then Tele/Orb/Tele/Orb/Tele/Orb... rinse and repaeat. Of late it has been working OK.

It he gets rocked from close ranged Andy hits... but what attack is doing so much damage?

Thanks, Boots

5. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Antidote potions?

6. Chaldan

Chaldan IncGamers Member

My lvl 86 defiance merc uses Kelpie Snare, eth Duriels Shell, eth Gaze (so no poison length reduced) and rarely dies when I visit Andy. My tactics is simply to clear out all monsters before Andy and then once Andy is out, drop a steady stream of Meteors on her while my merc slows her down. When mercs life is below halfway (usually poisoned at this time) I give him a full rejuv and a second later a Super heal to slow down the poison. I'd say my merc dies about once in ten times

7. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

I take my level 84 merc toe-to-with Meph with my Blizzard sorc. He uses Tal's mask, Duriel's Shell, and a good Reapers Toll. The poison counters his leeching ability, but I think most of all the vicious damage they take has to do with the %ED that all bosses get when attacking a merc. It's something between 200-400%ED last I read, but that was 1.09. Meph dropped me a Shaftstop last evening, so I put it on my merc. He has lower-than-maxed resists with the Shaftstop, but he stays alive about 50% longer since most of Meph's attacks are melee coupled with the %ED. Meph throws poison around, but it's not as potent as Andy's from brief experience. My merc can leech poisons' effects back in a strike or two. I prefer to stand close to Meph and let the Merc be my shield so there's less ranged attacks to that might harm me.

If you are interested primarily with Andy runs, she has less fire immunity than any of the other bosses (I think) so fire sorcs can generally take her down quicker.

8. iamapoorman

iamapoorman IncGamers Member

try this

My hammerdin's merc can take more punishment and survive almost everything except Hell Mephi (for some reason) but can go toe-to-toe even with Hell Listler all by himself. I actually let him fight Listler all by himself and he took him out easy.

L88 HF Merc Gear:
    ETH Andy's with 15IAS jewel
    ETH Glad's Bane 15IAS jewel
    ETH Bonehew 2 AMN runes (damage hits 9K with CONC)

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I my upgraded Hone Sunden is ethereal, too. It has 178% ed IIRC. Any Reaper's Toll is better. Your merc has to kill only those monsters your character can't kill because of immunities. In all other cases he just has to attract monsters, stay alive (much damage+leech helps, of course), provide the aura and inflict nasty effects on foes. Decrepify or slow target are definitely very devastating. If a monster is slowed by 75%, it does only do a quarter of its attacks which includes Andariel's poison attack.

10. Asuka Langley Soryu

Asuka Langley Soryu IncGamers Member

Tals helmet, Shaftstop, Reapers toll.

Gobs of leach, more resist and decent damage. Very seldom does he ever bite it. Usually its when he gets ganged up by councils and hydra. Meph isn't a problem at all.

11. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

Thanks to all who added helpful input...

And those who came just to tout their abilities... it wasn't necessary. Too many people don't read the threads.

A) Leech! people tell me... if you read above, I have 26% Leech.

B) Antidotes Potions : This helps my merc how?

C) A Fire Sorc works well! Mmmm I'm not looking to junk my 85th FO/CL just yet... I was asking about a merc with THIS character build.

I think I will give the Reaper's a whirl. Decrep could be just what I am looking for. Perhaps swapping out my Nat's Armor for Shaft or a Bane might also prove worthwhile.

Once again, THANKS!

Boots

12. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

They will increase his poison resistance and increae his max resistance, reducing the damage he takes. Obviously they also cure poison, which allows the merc to regenerate health again.

13. Any1

Any1 Banned

Use "Life Tap" charges from a wand or dagger. That's 50% LL instantaneously. I've been running hell Andy with my Might merc this way. He hasn't even gotten close to dieing yet.

14. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

Apologies... I didn't know you could give Antidotes to Mercs.