Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to improve bow damage?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by gbullit, Sep 17, 2006.

1. gbullit

gbullit IncGamers Member

How to improve bow damage?

Hi, I'm trying to follow a guide by Kijya - PvM Multi/Strafe/LF/CS Hybrid, but I had to change from a rouge scout to a Act 2 mercenary because Duriel was difficult. Now I'm lvl 42 got a rather nice bow Zephyr Razor Bow, Dam (Strafe) 62-159 and I use the bow most of the time. Strafe lvl 15 and CS lvl 8, use CS most for the bosses, it's easier and faster. Killed Mephisto several times and Diablo 7-8 times also High Council and Shenk. I have explored all maps except the 3rd lvl at Baals place. Trying to improve my character and also trying to find nice items. I got the runes: Shael, Thul and Amn for armor, but I need to find a 3-socket body armor. I can't get the best armor and bows because I am not playing online. I wonder where should I put the points to improve the bow damage. I got all passive skills 1 point in each. Should I keep raising Strafe (lvl 15 now) or should I put the points somewhere else. Any help is appreciated because this is the first time I play an Amazon :smiley:

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

when bringing up a hybrid put into the jav skills first bow damage is entirely up to the bow you have. if it's not good you dont do damage. a javazon can play the game with cracked javalins. ive gotten two hybrids up to 90+ and the first one i focused more on the bow while the second i started out on javalin skills. the second time through was much easier. jab is the ultimate early zon skill, fury when you finally get it makes everything easier. and like you mentioned there's no faster boss killer than CS.

i'd suggest focusing on jav skills and along the way do bow prereqs maybe put a few extra into strafe to get a decent arrow # then finishing off your jav skills, at least fury and cs before going back to bow skills.

i remember using zephyr and an upped rogues bow at around your level and finding them both excellent. if you were on ladder online there's no bow better at 39+ than harmony, but since it's not an option melody is nice i hear if you have a ko for it. there are a couple really good uniqe bows at your level if you find them; witchwild string, riphook, goldstrike.... pretty much all the exceptional bows have some decent damage.

what i typcially do is run around with my javs on, occasionally throwing blind javs into areas where there are most likely monsters and when i find them fury a couple of times then switch to bow to strafe what's left.

3. gbullit

gbullit IncGamers Member

Hi crawlingdeadman. I am in Act 1 Nightmare now (lvl 48)and thanks to som armor and items my Strafe: lvl 20, Lightning Strike lvl 7 all passiv skills lvl 6. Damage Strafe: 58-164, Lightning Srike: 108-225 (1-173). I noticed you used Lightning Fury, what is the difference between Strike and Fury and is Fury better?:smiley:

4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

fury is generally considered the superior crowd (10 or more) control zon skill for javas. if it's a smaller pack 3-5 then strike works, but that's kinda what your strafe is for so i just used strike as a synergie and never used it myself on my hybrid. i played around with it on my pure javazon but i found on the smallish numbers of monsters that charged strike works better, especially if they're "big" monsters.

maybe someone else can elaborate on the fury vs lighting strike debate.

5. MuffinMan

MuffinMan IncGamers Member

Pump fury at least. Lightning strike gets a whole lot more from synergies than lightning fury, but just maxing LF works.
    More dex = more physical damage for bowazon, but you probably already knew that.
    This again means that your build will have to have lots of dexterity, hence, less life. And with less life, using Lightning Stike becomes slightly scetchy since its a melee attack.

6. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

Look for charms with dex and +max damage. they're a bowie's best friend.

7. Murderya

Murderya Banned

As for making your bow more effective, try Witchwild and for gloves I give you a quote from ChipMC's Witchwild String Strafezon Guide

"-Crafted Hit Power Gloves (Magic Chain Gloves/Heavy Bracers/Vambraces+Ort+Perfect Sapphire+Any Jewel) The fixed mods on these are Knockback, 5% chance to cast level 4 Frost Nova when Struck, and Attacker Takes Damage of 3-7. The other mods that can randomly spawn on these include 20% IAS, resistances, Life or Mana Leech, and + to skills. Generally when I craft some I go for the 20% IAS mod. If I can just get that I’m happy. Of course, my dream gloves would have +2 to Passive and Magic skills, 20% IAS, some Life or Mana Leech, and resistances."

This should help with crowds. Since you can now keep them from getting to you because of knockback, and you shoot faster. And on top of all that you can get good leeches/res. Witchwild is also good for res with +40 to all.