Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to hunt and pk people in hardcore

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Baranor, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

How to hunt and pk people in hardcore

How to hunt and pk people in hardcore.

This article is about the art of pk-ing, and does not contain build information. Rather, it is a summarized version of my mental hunting routines and experiences. Its not a fool-proof method, in fact, its not a method at all, because you are dealing with human beings and they respond differently to situations.

1) Prepare

Before you go hunting you prepare yourself. This means that your gear is fixed, as in 100% repaired, and you have enough fat purple potions to fill your belt. These are the most basic preparations. However, in order to do a good “run†you need to be stocked up to your own specific and exact needs. I cannot give a perfect receipe for that, only some general things to think about_:1 space in the inventory for the ear, and 2 more spaces for a full tome of TP. If you manage to get more than 1 ear in single run, or in a single area, simply open a tp and run to and fro. Apart from that and the purple potions you need to look at your mana usage and your stamina amounts. Since you’re hunting you’ll spend a lot of time running, and a few stamina potions used at the right time can keep you running an fast beyond what the prey suspects. Using fat purples to recoup mana is quick but very dumb. Instead, buy some +200 mana potions and use those. In a melee char they will refill the mana like mad anyway, but you don’t waste a purple on that. In heavy fights mana is never an issue, but when on the hunt more mana is better.

In light of the running issue it is also very important to have as many wp’s as possible in the acts that you want to pk in, and preferably all wp’s in the entire difficulty. This enables you to attack from any given point in the game and get into non-wp areas as fast as possible. If you have to run from the city entrance to the far oasis in act 2, you’ll be too late.

If you only have the most neccisary quests you can sometimes spot people by means of “quest activationâ€. If the gidbin suddenly activates you know they are in the Flayer Jungle for example, without even looking at the party screen.

Last but most certainly not least: Turn off the DII music and put on something more fitting. My personal preference is speedmetal, but if you like Bach, put that on. PK-ing is very frustrating sometimes, people insult you, annoy you and act like sobs. There’s nothing wrong with their behaviour, it’s a kind of natural response, but its still frustrating ;). Why can’t they all just die with a smile? Be sure to leave the DII sounds on.

2) Look for good games

Yeah I know, “runs†are the prime targets for any attacking pk-er, and they are filled with them. The advantage is that there you can hit on your fellow pk’s and get into really messy fights. These are the first and most obvious games to hunt and kill people in. However, as you are a pk you are certainly able to attack higher levels. So try to enter games where players are higher levels than you.

Other good games are “diablokills†and other specific, quest-related games. Killing Diablo is dangerous and people aren’t always paying attention to what happens. Diablo himself is pretty close to the WP and the way is always the same, so once you spot a party, they’re either gone or dead. Eventually you will get the feel for games, and instinctively know what games are more likely to yield a fight. PK-ing and duelling games are often a waste of your time when on the hunt. The people in there are either armed to the teeth and more likely to draw against you, spectators or lamers with some kind of cheat or 40 extra levels. You can spend an hour in a dualling game and not get a single fight despite having 7 others in the game.

Good games are hard to find. Games with only a single player are for the desperate pk’s.

3) Declare hostility

All people do this different. Some people call everyone “noobs†and then attack. Others simply hostile without a warning. Ideally, your hostility warning is fun, or causes some response. I’ve sometimes started an argument and then hostiled people to lure them into thinking that I am actually not a nasty pk but a normal guy who’s being dumb, but in the end this method isn’t as gratifying as my simple “Death comes for all, and I come for you.â€. “Die plz†was another one of my favorites if my temper had suffered. People will laugh, people will scoff, but that’s the fate of the pk-er. Expect insults, threaths and much random stupidness from people. If someone threathens to hack your pc, well, tell him to line up. Numerous people have slung that at my head and to date my pc is still working, and nobody ever nicked my accounts.

4) Start hunting

Of course, with a tad of luck you were invited to the party and have already checked their location. If you want to pass the WP fast, i.e. without the 10 second timer then please bust your modem with a hammer and eat it ok? Give them a chance to run. My kills were always 100% legit, and I’ve made plenty. Now, count to ten, impatiently click the wp and then on to the hunt!

Really smart people will pre-load the wp, as this reduces lag and vulnerability at the WP. This will however also set off any potential prey with half a brain. At least, when I see someone popping up at the WP, I am prepared for the hostile and scram upon hearing. Still, if the entire party is at the WP and ready to do battle against a pk-er, you will die without the preload. You can also preload art by popping in a wp with the same art as the area you want to jump to. I once came out a WP with no preloaded art with only 30 out of 650 life left. I recouped and killed some party members, but it was really close. Faster pc’s have the advantage here.

What if the prey isn’t at the WP and not visible on the screen? If you have Maphack then you already know what to do, yes, that’s right, bust your modem with a hammer and eat it. Most of us don’t however. What I do is pick up trails. I start running in a likely direction (whatever my brain tells me to do), and press Alt. I then follow the trail of scattered items and debris until I either run into 4-5 tp’s or into the party. Following the debris and leftovers is a sure way of finding the party, but if they did a full clean of an area you’re screwed.

If you are running in the arcane and meet monsters, turn around. There’s nobody there. Only follow trails that have breadcrumbs.

When inside follow the trail and only go through doors that are already open, unless there’s no trail to follow yet (Cata 2, taking the WP when the party came through the stairs). Opened doors and items are the ideal follow-ups.

However, tracking isn’t always the best idea. If the party knows you’re coming they will expect to see you from behind, and will watch their maps in that area intensively. When given an opportunity you will take a WP in advance of the party (taking Halls of the Dead 2 when the party is still on Halls 1) and attack them full frontal. This works remarkably well. You will usually suddenly “pop up†in an area filled with monsters. People with MH will be less likely to see you as only the areas they have cleaned are empty. You’re just another, although fast moving dot, and they know that there are dots up front. Ironically only those that do not use cheats are more likely to spot you. Still, attacking from the front takes people off guard and leaves them open to the kill.

So, you’ve chased them down, killed one, and the rest has fled or left the game entirely. You take your ear, and then notice the leering crowd in town. What to do with those?

You can exchange some insults. Fun, cute, and pointless. You can dare them but if you have already killed a member of the party they most likely wont bite. You can leave the game. But! But but but! But half of the fun is getting those insulting nitwits in town and killing them as soon as they step over the edge of town. What sometimes helps is simply walking outside. Someone might follow. What also helps is missing deliberately, or start running after getting hit once or twice. Pretend to be a jackass. Its unbelievable how gullible some people are. If people start running in and out of town, start counting. As soon as you detect a pattern count and attack on the second before they should come outside. This works remarkably well with chargers, as it takes time to reach the enemy. If you attack the instant they click they wont have the time to stop themselves and will get hit and possibly die. You’ll get insulted and called a cheater, but it is worth it just to wipe that annoying smile of their face.

Always count the tp’s in town, make sure whom you are missing and check them. Run through all the wp’s, and if you see something “off†like dead monsters, investigate. I’ve surprised a great many players that way who thought they had outsmarted me. People who think “come and get me†do not count on a 30% faster run//walk char with 4 stamina potions and inherent knowledge of what is placed where in an area. Run, do not hesitate, attack and keep attacking. PK-ing is about outsmarting your enemies and killing them. It is about hunting them down.

Don’t count on getting ears anytime soon. PK-ing is having patience, cunning and outwitting the prey. As long as you stay below level 15, don’t feel afraid to prey on anything that crosses your path. If you want dignity and a fair fight go to a duelling game. Be ruthless! You’re a mean, lean killing machsjeen, and you’re here to kill anyting you hostile. Always back up your threats and attempts. Oh yes, before I forget, there’s always a bigger fish (or bear) so be prepared to die. You will! As soon as my pk-ers stash is nearly full I usually get less defensive and pretty much attack anyone and anything I run across, leading in an untimely demise.

Remember: Death comes for all, and I’ll be coming for you!

2. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

Nicely written barry.

I liked to use the: "I R TEH PK FEAR ME!!!!, before i hostile, for some reason people takes you for a ****** with little brain and stand their grounds.

3. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Hehe, my favourite is to act stupid and first ask to be partied. Then I pretend to not know how to join the party.

"How do I play in your party guys?"

Then after they explain that I need to press the "Accept" button I gladly burst out in joy... followed by some mumbles...

"Ahhh, wonderful, now I can play with you guys :)"
    "Hmmm... I wonder what this button does then?"
    "Oppsss what is that sound?"
    "HOSTILE, what is that?"

Can't count the laughs I've had with that one :D

A few ears as well, but usually they like me even if I kill them after that :)

/Magnus

edit: I enjoyed the guide Barry, nicely written. Though my favourite "trick" is not in the book ;)

4. Kirbybabo

Kirbybabo IncGamers Member

What is your favorite trick?

5. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

A few people here know it already. Let's just say it's very convenient to have two computers some times so you can mule safely :)

/Magnus

6. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

Oathbreaker L19 pally 2306.62 charge dam 1-handed...my final one, 700 life + max block.....

7. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Perhaps it is time to revive the "All Ears Channel" idea again. Think about it now. All of you PKers can pretend you are sitting around the campfire swapping PK stories. Oh the fun of killing off some 10 year old's newly made character! The pride of it all!

8. Forbiddian

Forbiddian IncGamers Member

Wow.

Is that damage with the Critical or without it?

Crap though, 4600 damage at level 19... Ph34r that.

EDIT: Or was it with the 50% chance counted as 50% ED over the total?

Or is it Average damage with the 50% ED counted over the total?

Lol, I'm pking in Classic now and was proud to hit 1k at level 15. Meh, my min isn't that bad... I still break 100 PvP, I think, on my weakest strike.

No block, though and only like 300 life (and 600 defense).

9. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

very mature Wolfedude...

10. Wolfedude

Maturity is my middle name.

11. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

nah, its just listed dam so 383 pvp... no crit either

12. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

obviously ;)

13. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Very amusing read Baranor.

You guys are way more organised than me:)

My hunts usually went along the lines of play pubbies in the hope of finding some fun people, get really irritated with some twit and leave game.

Reenter on account 2 with tweaked character, hostile immediately and start hunting as soon as possible.

Have had much more fun recently by just bone prisoning people that are complete morons instead - although this seems even more unpopular than Pking em - O and if you are unfortunate enough to be baal/council/pit running with poeple who nab everything as soon as it drops spamming bonewall mindlessly so they cant pick anything up is quite a good stress buster:D

Just my tuppence worth

Chill

14. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

lol nicely written article, I'm not against Pking altogether but just against PKers who talk a lot of **** and then when someone brings in their dueler or high level char, they run right back into town. Those PKers are pathetic. And ironically that Pker earlier called everyone a "pussy" for standing in town. "why do u need a lvl 80 to kill a lvl 34 you n00b". Well why do u need a lvl 34 to kill a lvl 16?

15. stressball

stressball IncGamers Member

@Cookiesn,

I'd call the one getting their lvl 80 char to try and kill my lvl 15 char lame also. But just because I asked for a fight, it doesn't mean I will fight just anyone. As a PK you also have to be smart, like any predator - you prey on the weak(er). If you know you won't survive the fight, you kinda try to avoid it - at least I do.

_
    stress

16. Wolfedude

I am not sure the phrase "preying on the weaker" accurately describes the practice of PKing. I think "preying on the stupid" is far more accurate.
    As for the questioning of PKing being a sign of immaturity I find the urge or need to destroy others creations to be a bit more immature.

17. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Damn it, you're compelling me to finish that damned PK thing I was writing. I vote this = Sticky.

18. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

It's less of an urge, more of a voice that won't shut up...*cups his ears and screams lalalalalalalala*

See? Everyone can drown it out....Where's that gun come from?

19. stressball

stressball IncGamers Member

When you play the game, you KNOW there is a feature that is implemented by the developer - this feature enables Player vs. Player combat. It is part of the game, so to the whiners out there - if you don't want to get killed, go to town or leave game when you get hostiled.

This has been discussed before, neither of us brings anything new to the table, so no need to keep arguing.

Oh, and as for the "weaker" - I meant, the PK makes sure he/she is able to win the fight (or thinks they are), else they wouldn't go out there. There aren't many hunters that go out and fight knowing they will die.

_
    stress

20. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Kudos Barry!

LOL, one small tip, name your PKs something fun. I always get creative with my names. Something to be remembered, and shared on the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.